Pacifica vs 2018 Odyssey - Page 2 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
You must be talking about the lower trims of Odyssey. The touring and elite use the 10 speed Honda transmission and it seems like that is going to be available across all trims in near future. Chrysler had enough time to research and fine tune the ZF 9 speed that the shifts are butter smooth now.
About that 10 speed. Sure Honda is going to move it to other models, but what's the benefit. The models that use them now don't get any higher mileage!
Bond007 likes this.

2017 Billet/Alloy Limited - UConnect Theater/Sound, 20 inch Wheels, Safety Tec

Previously:
2001 Ody EX
2004 Ody EX NAV
2006 Ody Touring RES NAV
2009 Ody Touring RES NAV
2011 Ody Elite
2014 Ody Elite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 12:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbert View Post
In the comparison, I liked the grill and wheels in the Pacifica more than the Oddity....oops...Odyssey.

2017 Pacifica
Touring L
Billet Silver
Package 27L
mfr. 5-17
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 04:13 PM

I've owned a 15 Odyssey, now a pacifica hybrid 17. There's no enclosed storage compartment in the center console. There's cup holders and about it. Tried in vain to find a latch to open a box in the middle (like 99% of cars) and there isn't. Why Chrysler, why? Also the behind the seat pocket is small, third row has no storage pocket. Third row on Pacifica is also much smaller than Odyssey. Build quality, and leather quality is much better on the Honda.

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 04:24 PM

Garage
What does your center console look like? The one in ours has room for a kid. I didn't realize there were different ones.

'18 Pacifica LTD, GCM
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

2017 Billet/Alloy Limited - UConnect Theater/Sound, 20 inch Wheels, Safety Tec

Previously:
2001 Ody EX
2004 Ody EX NAV
2006 Ody Touring RES NAV
2009 Ody Touring RES NAV
2011 Ody Elite
2014 Ody Elite
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princeb View Post
I've owned a 15 Odyssey, now a pacifica hybrid 17. There's no enclosed storage compartment in the center console. There's cup holders and about it. Tried in vain to find a latch to open a box in the middle (like 99% of cars) and there isn't. Why Chrysler, why? Also the behind the seat pocket is small, third row has no storage pocket. Third row on Pacifica is also much smaller than Odyssey. Build quality, and leather quality is much better on the Honda.
Does your PacHy have the super console? There's quite a bit of enclosed storage in there if you do. Here's an example of one with the rear drawer pulled out. The top roll-door also reveals a smaller more shallow area great for storing charging cords and such.

Link

As for the build quality being better on the honda...that's debatable. I've owned an 06 & 13 Ody's and have to say that on these latter generation Odys, the historical build quality that their premium price is supposed to carry just isn't there. On my '13 I had uneaven & mis-aligned panels, continually warping brake rotors, and a VCM system I had to buy a muzzler to override. Just read the Ody forums on this latest generation and there are lots of reports about the same mis-aligned panels and trim, doors not sitting flush, etc. Since they moved to building these down south the overall quality just doesn't seem to be there anymore but the price premium remains.
Toast likes this.

2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 11:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbert View Post
I wish I could compare it with my old Sienna. Being a 2004 design it didn't offer USB ports, but it had 2 glove boxes, more cupholders, removable center console, storage cubbies with lids in front doors and 3rd row body panels and large sliding door pockets.

*** 2018 Hybrid Limited ***
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 01:06 PM

Interesting, our Central console is different than the one pictured. It does not have any drawer pull outs. Looks like there are several variants. Maybe I can buy the one on eBay and replace it myself.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 04:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by princeb View Post
Interesting, our Central console is different than the one pictured. It does not have any drawer pull outs. Looks like there are several variants. Maybe I can buy the one on eBay and replace it myself.
Your build sheet should tell you which console you have.

https://www.chrysler.com/webselfserv...etServlet?vin=<Replace text and brackets with your VIN>

On mine it is apparently called a 'Super Console'. Looks like the pictured one above.

'18 Pacifica LTD, GCM
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 01:13 AM

Other reasons for avoiding Odyssey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfan View Post

As for the build quality being better on the honda...that's debatable. I've owned an 06 & 13 Ody's and have to say that on these latter generation Odys, the historical build quality that their premium price is supposed to carry just isn't there. On my '13 I had uneaven & mis-aligned panels, continually warping brake rotors, and a VCM system I had to buy a muzzler to override. Just read the Ody forums on this latest generation and there are lots of reports about the same mis-aligned panels and trim, doors not sitting flush, etc. Since they moved to building these down south the overall quality just doesn't seem to be there anymore but the price premium remains.
The Oddity has some problems and costs that you won't see with the Pacifica. The VCM system Hawkfan mentioned somehow causes broken engine mounts; very expensive to repair. Hawkfan is also right about the # of complaints about misaligned panels and Honda appears to suffer more with premature brake problems such as warping rotors. One killer cost that is seldom mentioned is the necessity to replace the timing belt at 100k, at a cost of about $1000. I wonder if the frequently referenced Consumer Reports frequency of repair records include cars that are driven a long time or if they mostly cover recent models that haven't reached the mileage required for some problems to show up. There's an awful lot of old MoPars out there that have a zillion miles and the owners seem to go back for more. Must be a reason; maybe they aren't as troublesome as some would have us believe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page