Pacifica Vs the Mercedes Metris - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Pacifica Vs the Mercedes Metris

Has anyone done a serious comparison of the Mercedes Metris against the Pacifica. As I understand, the Metris is geared towards a commercial / cargo van but it has a passenger option too (8 seater) and the specs quite literally are so close to the Pacifica (length, price, etc). I haven't driven (or rather seen one), but would love to hear your opinions. Just wondering if this is the continuation of the R class of Mercedes...?

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 06:28 AM

Doug DeMuro posted a review video last year entitled "Here's Why the Mercedes Metris is the Worst Minivan Ever Made" which might answer your question:
Bond007 and froglips like this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:06 AM

That van is a mess, to put it gently.

2018 Limited Gas

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:01 AM

The metris could be a great van. I looked at them. However, the seats don't recline at all, and no windows open? In its current states it an airport shuttle. I love the idea of Mercedes build quality in a van though.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikbrewer View Post
The metris could be a great van. I looked at them. However, the seats don't recline at all, and no windows open? In its current states it an airport shuttle. I love the idea of Mercedes build quality in a van though.
They do, it's just only available in Europe. The V-class:

https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/mer...-cars/v-class/

Edit: You can even get an AMG version of it

https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/mer...al-and-sporty/

2018 Pacifica Limited (gas) - Oct. 2017 build
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:33 AM

Do they stall at intersections and stop signs?
PacificaMinivanFan likes this.

2018 Limited Gas
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by apnar View Post
They do, it's just only available in Europe. The V-class:

https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/mer...-cars/v-class/

Edit: You can even get an AMG version of it

https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/mer...al-and-sporty/

Thanks. That V class looks passable. Exterior is meh but interior is cool. But they also mentioned VIP shuttle. So may be not meant for personal use...? Why they only have four seats in the rear?
IMG_3547.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 11:26 AM

The Metris, V class, and Vito are all the same basic van dressed up differently. In most markets the passenger versions are marketed as a v class while the commercial versions are sold as a Vito. I’ve ridden in many a v class taxi around the world.

Here is a long discussion as to why the Meteis is so basic and we don’t get a fancy v class: https://www.metrisforum.com/forum/19...us-market.html

The cliff notes summary is that the Metris is targeted more at commercial use in the US with prices in the low to middle $30k range and selling an all too similar van to aspiring consumers at $60k or more is considered an insurmountable marketing challenge.

A friend of mine bought a Metris when they first came out. He only buys German cars, needed a van, and was thrilled when it was introduced. It is rather basic inside but does have the typical Mercedes attributes of solidity, quiet, comfort, and build quality. The design and features are on par with 1980s Detroit vans - 150lb removable bench seats and such. Compared to US market minivans, it’s a bit more heavy duty, with a 5,000lb tow rating and 2,400lb load capacity.

Edit: Metris and R class are two completely different and unrelated vehicles. R class was a relative of the ML and GL built in the Alabama plant. Vito/v class are built in many locations around the world. The Metris originated in Germany, but is shipped to the US as a knockdown kit to avoid the 25% Chicken Tax. It is reassembled in South Carolina.
Bond007 likes this.

Last edited by Shadow5501; 03-25-2019 at 11:35 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteitle View Post
Doug DeMuro posted a review video last year entitled "Here's Why the Mercedes Metris is the Worst Minivan Ever Made" which might answer your question: https://youtu.be/sa8kHgmZIiQ

OMG. I just watched it. Itís abysmal. Okay just forget this thread even exists. I feel so guilty of starting this thread now and wasting your time. .

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
OMG. I just watched it. Itís abysmal. Okay just forget this thread even exists. I feel so guilty of starting this thread now and wasting your time. .

Are Benz's made in Eastern Germany now? Maybe tho old Trabant facility...
Oh, maybe in India at the Tata plant.
Well, at least no complaints about stalling at stop signs, or hood corrosion.

2018 Limited Gas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page