Fuel savings PacHy vs Ody - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 5Likes
  • 5 Post By stop-eject

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Fuel savings PacHy vs Ody

I had my PacHy for about 18 months, it has 18.5k miles on it. I log all my gas purchases on fuelly.com, which makes easy to compare with other cars. A buf on the site doesn't allow browsing other Pacificas, going against our arch nemesis Odyssey is just as good.

In my 18.5k miles I visited gas stations 22 times, including several half tank fill ups. I spent $653.81. I also spent money on electricity, and I since I own another EV figuring out the PacHy portion is impossible. Let's say I charged it 0-100% every day for all 550 days. Each charge costs me about $1.50, so the total will be $825. The sum of my gas and electricity expenditures is $1479. However I didn't fully charged every single day and I had some free charges ( I didn't score any free gas ). I estimate that $1200 is closer to reality

PacHy (Chrysler Pacifica) | Fuelly

I found a 2018 Odyssey with almost identical mileage. The owner had 71 gas station visits to the tune of almost $3000!

Odyssey (Honda Odyssey) | Fuelly

Someone with lower fuel costs made over 20k miles for "only" $2300, but their data suggests that they forgot to log at least two tanks.

Odyssey (Honda Odyssey) | Fuelly

Siennas are similar

Christian Grey (Toyota Sienna) | Fuelly 17k miles $3800 (expensive gas)

My Sienna (Toyota Sienna) | Fuelly 16k miles $2782

PacHy cost savings are real and significant. Taking into account the lower acquisition cost thanks to the tax credit, no mandatory timing belt change down the road and the fuel savings that can realistically exceed $1000 per year, the total cost of ownership of PacHy will be a lot less than for Odyssey, even taking into account Chrysler's reliability reputation.

*** 2019 Hybrid Limited ***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:07 AM

That is good to know. Thanks.

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 11:06 AM

This is the thought behind why we took the plunge and stretched ourselves out for one when we needed a van.

Throw Canada's (at least Ontario's) higher fuel prices in the mix with our time-of-use charging rates and our ROI was not as far out in the future as I had expected before running the numbers. We had bought when the provincial EV rebates existed, but before the federal rebates existed, so the ROI would be a longer now than it was when we bought.

BUT... We're still very happy.

Our usage pattern for the van plays into it's capabilities very well. Still have half a tank of gas, last fill-up in April.

Winter fuel use is always a bit of a shock after going through warmer months so easily, but even then it does just as good on gas as our other smaller vehicle.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid - In Canada Eh!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page