Car and Driver Long Term Update: 34,000 miles - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Car and Driver Long Term Update: 34,000 miles

So Car and Driver has a Pac in their long term fleet. They seem to really like it overall, with the same gripes we owners have. Minor ones really, like the crazy over enthusiastic ACC when accelerating! But they've had no problems with their Pac and I'm sure they don't treat it with kid gloves either! Here's the link.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-update-review
Mike17Pac, xinerevelle and seo68 like this.

2017 Billet/Alloy Limited - UConnect Theater/Sound, 20 inch Wheels, Safety Tec

Previously:
2001 Ody EX
2004 Ody EX NAV
2006 Ody Touring RES NAV
2009 Ody Touring RES NAV
2011 Ody Elite
2014 Ody Elite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 04:01 AM

The biggest performance-related gripe for me is the minivan doesnt have the shift padel for gear selection. Waiting the transmission to downshift is very annoying... that makes moving uphill much less smooth than it should be. I really couldnt understand how Chrysler can approve a 2018 minivan without this important feature, something they had in T&C and still have in Grand Caravan.

Another thing is... why they reserve the AWD option! With the shift padel and AWD added back to the minivan, I believe it will beat every single competition out there plus it will have a huge chance to steal some market shares from the 3 rows SUV market.

Since they target male and fathers in their ads, and did pretty successfully, it's reasonable to believe they should have even more success to win the male market if those features are there as many male drivers care about those.

Hope Chrysler will move fast and implement the features in the 2019 models. Unlike the old time, the automobile playing field is now very dynamic. Automakers need to repsonse fast to the market trends and needs in order to stay ahead of the game or even survive. They cannot keep a model totally unchanged for 5-10 years. I bet the Sienna franchise will have something amazing to offer next year, and Honda will fix some of the mistakes in the odyssey by 2020.

Last edited by Christogo; 01-12-2018 at 08:29 AM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christogo View Post
Since they target male and fathers in their ads and did pretty successfully, it's reasonable to believe they should have even more success to win the male market if those features are there as many male drivers care about those.
Not just men... I kept driving my 2002 AWD Town & Country for years because I couldn't find another AWD minivan and didn't want to downsize to an SUV. (Eventually the repair costs started adding up, and I decided to put my money into a new Pacifica instead.)
Longtimemopar likes this.

2017 Jazz Blue Pacifica Hybrid Platinum

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 09:42 AM

I've never really experienced downshift issues. I have a 2018 though. We took a trip from DC to Cleveland. Tons of hills and mountains and the trans was smooth. We live on a small ridge where we have to drive up pretty steep hills to get to our house and no jerking, no late downshifts. Smooth as butter.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Why doesn't Chrysler just add paddle shifters to the Pac? Other FCA cars have them. That would solve the problem.
seo68 likes this.

Previously:
2001 Ody EX
2004 Ody EX NAV
2006 Ody Touring RES NAV
2009 Ody Touring RES NAV
2011 Ody Elite
2014 Ody Elite
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 12:12 PM

Do other FCA cars with this ZF 9-speed transmission have paddle shifters?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 12:23 PM

Garage
Just have a turbo charger option available so you wouldn't need to down shift on hills.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphy_sky View Post
I've never really experienced downshift issues. I have a 2018 though. We took a trip from DC to Cleveland. Tons of hills and mountains and the trans was smooth. We live on a small ridge where we have to drive up pretty steep hills to get to our house and no jerking, no late downshifts. Smooth as butter.
Same here, 13,000km and smooth.... very smooth..

2015 T&C Limited
2012 T&C Limited
2009 Volks Routan (Chrysler)
2000 Chrysler 300M Special
1974 Cherokee Chief (Not Chrysler yet AMC)
1971 T&C
1965 Plymouth Sport Fury
1962 Plymouth Satellite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 03:01 AM

Tried to pass cars on uphill highways... Or slowed down and then picked up to max speed on uphill highways... Pacifica's trans showed it's weakness in those situations. Down shifting is not super sluggish but it's not super responsive either. Wait time for downshifting was definitely there ... and I just wish the shift pedals were there when I need them.

Last edited by Christogo; 01-13-2018 at 03:04 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Well they wrapped up their 40,000 mile test! They still love the Pac, but had the same hiccups that has been mentioned here. Like the remote start a/c and the paint bubbles in the hood. But overall they seemed to really like it over the Honda Odyssey!

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...rm-test-review

Previously:
2001 Ody EX
2004 Ody EX NAV
2006 Ody Touring RES NAV
2009 Ody Touring RES NAV
2011 Ody Elite
2014 Ody Elite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page