A/C - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Arrow A/C

The current A/C doesn't seem "cold" anymore.

I could SWEAR that A/C from the 70's and 80's in my Dad's car (Impala, Cutlass, Cadillac) they were ICE cold even on a hot day. I remember as a kid you jump in the car on a hot day, no tint sun blaring.. and within a minute or two that air would hit your skin and it felt like hot ice coming out of the vents.. didn't want to be in the direct path.. might get frostburn..

Now I crank air to LOW, and wait.. 15 minutes later cabin STILL feels warm..

My last vehicle for the first 6 months maybe It seemed ok not great but ok. I had air running for a while but I had good tint and recirculate on. Took it too dealer they told me they tested and air was coming out at 60 I think.. don't remember.. but they said it was 'fine'. Was within limits.

I just left it alone.

Now I get a brand new Pacific LTD pre-tinted by dealer.. moderately hot day around 88 (yea hot vs this side of the 9 planes is subjective) and STILL air comes out.. I guess correct temperature but it doesn't FEEL cold. It is cool-ER.. but it takes a while to get cool, and by the time it does I am where I need to be. Even longer rides air is cool I have to reduce temperature sometimes because it doesn't feel as though temperature is maintained well.

It's not just this vehicle we test drove a few before settling on the Pacifica and had the same experience.. It must be something that has changed.

The state of A/C seems sub par than what I remember. Also when I took my other car to dealer they said they had an older car as well and their air SEEMED a lot cooler, so he understood what I was saying..

So gas should be gas.. but it's not, at least from my perspective.. 1995 and up model year vehicles use HFC-134a refrigerant, also referred to as R-134a. Older systems were designed with CFC-12 .. isn't good by comparison in my opinion.

Is it just me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

I live in Texas and have no issues with it cooling adequately. You might need to take it in and have it checked.

2017 PACIFICA LIMITED GRANITE CRYSTAL METALLIC, BLACK ALLOY, SAFETY TEC, UCONNECT THEATER/SOUND, 20" WHEELS. DELIVERED 09/12/16.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparker06 View Post

Now I get a brand new Pacific LTD pre-tinted by dealer.. moderately hot day around 88 (yea hot vs this side of the 9 planes is subjective) and STILL air comes out.. I guess correct temperature but it doesn't FEEL cold. It is cool-ER.. but it takes a while to get cool, and by the time it does I am where I need to be. Even longer rides air is cool I have to reduce temperature sometimes because it doesn't feel as though temperature is maintained well.

It's not just this vehicle we test drove a few before settling on the Pacifica and had the same experience.. It must be something that has changed.

Is it just me?
Welcome to the forum.

How does the AC do when not in AUTO AC mode? At times I've given up on the AUTO mode and manually adjusted the AC/Heat.

Recently I wondered why my van didn't seem as cool as usual even though the settings hadn't been changed and realized that a passenger had closed a vent by rotating the dial at the bottom of the vent which restricted air flow without changing the appearance of the vent. If you haven't checked the dials under the vents, I would recommend that you set all vents to full open (biggest white spot on dial).

You can also go to the climate screen and press the icon that makes air flow to the top and bottom vents for the most air. It might not be on auto air then, just AC. You can also adjust the fan speed by turning the knob or pushing on the screen. In another van we found out after a few years that a vent in the back was installed backwards. (Grandma visited, sat there, and figured it out. It was under an extended warranty and replaced.)

I agree that you should take it to be checked by the dealer since it is probably more that the vents or control screen since you don't think the air is cool enough. My van cools well in a hot climate.

Here is a link to someone who had an AC compressor replaced.
https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/528135-post5.html

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build

Last edited by SciTchr; 10-06-2018 at 05:58 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparker06 View Post

I could SWEAR that A/C from the 70's and 80's in my Dad's car (Impala, Cutlass, Cadillac) they were ICE cold even on a hot day. I remember as a kid you jump in the car on a hot day, no tint sun blaring.. and within a minute or two that air would hit your skin and it felt like hot ice coming out of the vents.. didn't want to be in the direct path.. might get frostburn..

My last vehicle for the first 6 months maybe It seemed ok not great but ok. I had air running for a while but I had good tint and recirculate on. Took it too dealer they told me they tested and air was coming out at 60 I think.. don't remember.. but they said it was 'fine'. Was within limits.

I just left it alone.

The state of A/C seems sub par than what I remember. Also when I took my other car to dealer they said they had an older car as well and their air SEEMED a lot cooler, so he understood what I was saying..

So gas should be gas.. but it's not, at least from my perspective.. 1995 and up model year vehicles use HFC-134a refrigerant, also referred to as R-134a. Older systems were designed with CFC-12 .. isn't good by comparison in my opinion.

Is it just me?
I found that when in auto mode the Pacifica cooling rate is low. It does not appear to respond to a hot cabin with a higher rate fan speed. The first thing I do when entering a hot van is twist the fan speed control to max. This takes the A/C out of auto mode. The faster flowing air cools the cabin down faster. Once the temperature gets comfortable, I switch back to auto.

2017 Pacifica Limited (built May 2016)
Vacuum delete, KeySense and Tow
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 07:30 PM

I have found that automatic mode on the A/C works just fine here in the hot Phoenix summertime. But then mine is a hybrid and the A/C compressor is electrically powered, and the engine usually wasn't running when it was last driven so it's not giving out any heat of its own.

2018 Molten Silver Pacifica Hybrid Limited purchased Nov 30, 2017.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 01:59 AM

It is a big space to cool. Even with my T & C's, the fan was at max speed for a long, long time. It seems contradictory, but the higher the fan speed, the warmer the air coming out of the vent will seem. Try putting it in manual and lowering the fan speed -- does it feel cooler? But it will take longer to cool the entire space down.

Yes, R134a is less "efficient" than the CFC freon refrigerants, but that can be compensated by the design of the system.

@SciTchr linked to my thread, but that was a complete failure, although intermittent. When it was not working, there was no cold air.

We get hot, sticky days here in the NYC area -- 80-90 degree temps with higher humidity. Working properly, the van was comfortable in minutes, although the fan speed might stay at maximum for a long time.

And it may sound silly, but double check the temperature setting for rear zone (and the passenger side...) And checking the vents is a good idea, too.

2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus
Build date Oct 2016 - Delivered 11/30/16

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page