Oil change how to new and improved with pictures. - Page 7 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoninDel View Post
What is this with some taking 5 quarts and some taking 6 quarts???
I don't know. Mine takes 5, and I have the factory towing package.

2018 Limited Gas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipster View Post
I don't know. Mine takes 5, and I have the factory towing package.
Mine takes 6, and I have the factory tow package too.

I wonder if some FCA bean counter figured out the engine could run just fine with 5 quarts instead of 6 and thus saved a quart of oil on every vehicle sold by simply changing the dip stick. Hard to imagine that there is actually a different oil pan between vans that use 6 vs. 5 quarts.

I measured my dip stick. The full mark (hole) is 24 11/16" from the flange of the yellow pull handle. Maybe someone with a van that uses 5 quarts can measure theirs and let us know if there is a difference.

The part numbers printed on my dip stick are 68166699AA AT-3 21074 007
Longtimemopar likes this.

2017 Pacifica Limited (built May 2016)
Vacuum delete, KeySense and Tow
post #63 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 03:54 PM

The Ram Pro Master V-6 is also a pentastar engine, and it takes 5.9 quarts. I wonder if some of those engines get put into pacifica's.

Mine takes 5qt, dip stick length is same as yours, PN is same, but ends in 21074 3.

My engine has been replaced, but old one took 5 qts as well.

2018 Limited Gas

post #64 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
The Ram Pro Master V-6 is also a pentastar engine, and it takes 5.9 quarts. I wonder if some of those engines get put into pacifica's.

Mine takes 5qt, dip stick length is same as yours, PN is same, but ends in 21074 3.

My engine has been replaced, but old one took 5 qts as well.
So if dip stick is the same then the 6 quart vans must have a deeper/larger oil pan. Perhaps what you wrote about the Pro Master engine is the answer. As I wrote in an earlier post, the dealer did the first oil change on my van and their invoice stated 6 quarts. When I did the subsequent oil change I put in 6 quarts. The oil level is right at the full mark on the dip stick, as it was after the dealer oil change.

Thanks for checking you dip stick.

post #65 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:27 AM

I tried my first through-the-dipstick change on our Pacifica today. FYI, you CAN do it with a $5 orange hand pump from Harbor Freight, but the number of pumps it takes is A LOT.... Like teenage boy with new Sears catalog lot.... I liked the cleanliness of the process, and am now going to grab a cheapie electric pump of some type. I think I've pulled my last drain plug for normal servicing.
irpilot and BrettP like this.
post #66 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:27 PM

Pela makes a large capacity extractor that I use on my Audi and need the larger capacity (12 quarts +). But they have smaller less expensive options. It’s a great unit though. Maybe 20 pumps and it’s good to go. And for a normal oil change, you could hold almost 3 full changes before you had to empty it. The extraction method is a great way to go. Been doing my Audi that way for the last 4-5 changes and the van was down that way the past couple times. No mess, no fuss. Come home pull the oil filter, drop in the tube and give her a few pumps and grab a beer or two, watch a show, come back out give it a couple more pumps and play with the hose to make sure it’s all out. New filter, add oil and you’re done. Easy peasy.
post #67 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
There are videos on Youtube that show there is less oil left in the pan (they pulled the pan, twice!) and there was less oil in the pan with the extractor than with pulling the plug.
Facts are pesky.
Yes there may well be. ust because it is on Utube doesn't make it a fact. There is no way it can be as certain and repeatable as pulling the drain plug with the vehicle level. You don't know where the suction tube goes.

I will offer that if you use a suction device I believe the best way is to use a steel line so you can feel exactly when you hit the bottom of the pan so you have a decent idea where the end of the suction probe is. I have to do this on my 2 Volvo diesel inboard engines and I bought the biggest diameter steel brake line that would go down the dipstick and use that connected to the oil change pump on the boat.

The only way to know if it makes a difference is to do some comparative oil analysis for using a pump or pulling the drain plug.

I do agree that with modern high detergent oils that are designed to dissolve and suspend whatever crap there is leaving a half quart of old oil isn't a big deal.

Howie12

2018 Pacifica Limited Velvet Red

Northern Wisconsin

Other vehicles

2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
1948 Plymouth 4 dr deluxe 11,000 original miles
1929 Chrylser Model 75 Red Head 6 Opera Coupe
1967 Chrysler Imperial Convertible 440 eng
1965 Plymouth Fury 3 Confertible 318 eng
various boats and motorcycles
post #68 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 09:19 AM

Maybe here is a clue to the 5/6 quart debate:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...cifica_oil_cha

The key is the very slow oil drain within the Pacifica 3.6L. From what I understand:

-- during an oil change, you need to let it drain for at least an hour. I have seen this -- after 30 min, which is sufficient to drain all of my other non-Pentastar vehicles to an occasional drip, the Pacifica is still draining a stream.
-- after an oil change and brief startup, the dipstick will show one quart low. If you let this sit for a few hours, then the dipstick show closer to FULL.

So if you do not allow all the old oil to drain, then there is a chance of overfilling with 5 qts of new oil. OR if you check the oil on a warm engine, it may show low, so the natural inclination is to add oil, again possibly overfilling.

So the Chrysler 5 qt spec may indeed be fully correct!

2018 Touring L -- Bright White, Advanced Safety Tech, Premium Audio
post #69 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlee777 View Post

The key is the very slow oil drain within the Pacifica 3.6L. From what I understand:

-- during an oil change, you need to let it drain for at least an hour. I have seen this -- after 30 min, which is sufficient to drain all of my other non-Pentastar vehicles to an occasional drip, the Pacifica is still draining a stream.
-- after an oil change and brief startup, the dipstick will show one quart low. If you let this sit for a few hours, then the dipstick show closer to FULL.

So if you do not allow all the old oil to drain, then there is a chance of overfilling with 5 qts of new oil. OR if you check the oil on a warm engine, it may show low, so the natural inclination is to add oil, again possibly overfilling.

Perhaps..but..I drained 6 quarts (measured) from my Pacifica on two oil changes and refilled with 6 quarts. The dipstick reads right at full, even after the van has sat for more than 24 hours. When the dealer did the first oil change the invoice shows that 6 quarts was used. I think that FCA installed the previous version Pentastar engines that use 6 quarts in conflict with the manual.

post #70 of 73 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlee777 View Post

^^^ I second this.

I did my first oil change on our van a couple months ago. The dipstick on ours still indicated a full quart low 30 minutes after refilling it. I started the engine & let it run for about ten seconds, then let it sit for 30 minutes again and rechecked it - still a full quart low. I then decided to leave it sit overnight and was going to get another quart of oil the next morning. Before I left to get the 6th quart the next morning, I decided to check it one last time. Sure enough, the level was just under the full line this time.

I think the people putting 6 quarts in are probably overfilling it. I've heard some folks speculate that the early Pacificas may have used the older oil pan, but I don't think this is possible. The 2017+ Pacifica uses a unique oil pan design (Mopar p/n 68249488AD) that is different from all other 3.6L Pentastar FWD applications. The Pacifica's is a single piece that holds 5 quarts whereas the others are a two-piece design that holds 6 quarts. The drain plug is located on the passenger side of the Pacifica's pan instead of the back. The drain plug wouldn't be accessible through the access panel if the other oil pan was installed.

FWIW the 3.6L in the new 2018+ Jeep Wrangler JL also only holds 5 quarts. Numerous owners are reporting that the Jeep dealerships are inadvertently overfilling them to 6 quarts because they are uninformed of the changes to the 3.6L.
StephenVA likes this.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 33K miles

Last edited by freddief73; 06-25-2019 at 10:13 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page