Oil change how to new and improved with pictures. - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Oil change how to new and improved with pictures.

Changed the oil today and realized there isn't a sticky for a "how to" for an oil change. There are plenty of threads for how many quarts to add though

You'll need 5 or 6 quarts of your favorite brand of 0-20 oil (5 or 6 depending on your latitude divided by the number times the Earth's rotated for that year on the date you changed your oil divided by the number of dogs you own).
I happened to find Castrol edge synthetic in a 5 quart container on sale so that's what I went with. This is not a discussion on what brand is better. Just verify it meets Chrysler MS-6395 specification.

You'll also need a Chrysler 68191349AB Oil Filter. My box said AC instead of AB and had a note for vehicles 2014 or newer and Looked exactly the same as the last AB filter I installed so I went with it.

You'll also need a low profile oil pan if you don't want to lift the van.

Tools for the job are a 24MM socket with a 4" or longer extension to loosen the oil filter cartridge, a 13MM socket for the drain plug, a stubby flat head screwdriver, and a pair of needle nose pliers or something similar to replace the oil cartridge rubber gasket. Alright lets get to it.

Using the screwdriver, loosen the latch on the little door that gives you access to the drain plug. It's located about a foot in from the passenger front tire. I actually pull the cover off completely so I can have unobstructed access to that area.

Using the 13MM, loosen but do not remove the drain plug. Get your low profile oil pan and place it under the plug and then fully remove the drain plug and let the oil drain out. Now go up and remove the oil cap from the top of the engine to allow the oil to drain freely.

When the oil starts trickling out of the drain plug, take the 24MM socket with extension and remove the oil filter cartridge...thanks @Smaz for adding (One tip I can add is that before I loosened the oil filter cap for the first time I put a dot of paint on the cap and the housing.) This way I could tighten the cap to the same spot that it came from the factory, without worrying about over tightening it. You'll most likely not drop any oil If you rotate the cartridge upwards immediately after you remove it.

The filter actually pops into place inside the cartridge so it will take a little force to separate it. Once the filter is removed, drain any residual oil from the bottom of the cartridge. I actually clean mine out of all the old oil but I doubt it makes much of a difference.

Before installing the new filter, use the needle nose pliers to remove the old rubber gasket from the cartridge and then replace it with the new one that came with your filter. Use some oil to lubricate the rubber gasket like you would a gasket on a normal filter. Now take the new filter and snap it into place. If it's installed correctly, it won't fall out when you go to install the cartridge back on the engine. Tighten to spec (anyone have ft-lbs mention it and I'll add it to the the thread).

The old oil should have drained out by now but if it hasn't, go take a beer/beverage break and contemplate stuff. When the oil is completely drained out, replace the oil drain bolt and tighten to spec (Oil Pan Drain Plug: 27 Nm / 20 Ft-lbs. There is a gasket. The Service Manual says: Replace the drain plug and gasket if damaged.) Thanks @seo68 for torque specs and gasket info.

Now that you don't have any more places for oil to leak out, fill to whatever specified quantity you came up with based on the formula above (or add 5 initially, let the van sit for 10 minutes, come back check the oil and add as necessary).

Check for any leaks around the drain plug and then re attach and lock the cover door for the drain plug.

Now go clean up and come back and reset the oil life indicator in the van. It's located in the info menu and you hold "ok" to reset it.

Congratulations, you've changed your own oil. Please don't dispose of the used oil in your own trash. All places that sell oil have to be able to accept old oil for recycling.

Repeat every interval cycle or 12 month or whatever system you use to tell you it's time to change your oil.

Feel free to add suggestions
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180228_155958-874x1164.jpg (340.1 KB, 508 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180228_151841-874x1164.jpg (227.5 KB, 480 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180228_155357-1164x874.jpg (234.2 KB, 499 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180228_152013-1164x874.jpg (259.0 KB, 479 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180228_152033-874x1164.jpg (207.1 KB, 515 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180228_152605-874x1164.jpg (164.6 KB, 483 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180228_152627-874x1164.jpg (215.8 KB, 460 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180228_153107-874x1164.jpg (198.4 KB, 495 views)

2017 PACIFICA LIMITED GRANITE CRYSTAL METALLIC, BLACK ALLOY, SAFETY TEC, UCONNECT THEATER/SOUND, 20" WHEELS. DELIVERED 09/12/16.

Last edited by irpilot; 05-07-2018 at 01:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 11:41 PM

Garage
great writeup

question. why do you have to replace the o ring each time? my dodge journey is the same way.
irpilot likes this.

I wasn't raised to be a Mopar guy. Now i have 2. Go figure!!

2017 Tusk White Pearl Chrysler Pacifica Touring - Dec. 2016 Build.
2017 Granite Crystal Metallic Dodge Journey GT Blacktop Edition - Feb. 2017 Build.
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 11:44 PM

Nice description of changing your oil from below the car. After seeing the oil filter is top mounted, I use an oil extractor in the oil dipstick tube from the top of the van. After having a total knee replacement, this seems much easier for me. Let negative air pressure be your friend! No more getting under the van to change the oil. Mine takes 6 quarts by the way of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20 oil. After the oil is extracted, I just reverse the oil back into the empty oil bottle for recycling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil change.jpg (40.2 KB, 284 views)
irpilot, BrettP, vinnyf and 6 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryman View Post
great writeup

question. why do you have to replace the o ring each time? my dodge journey is the same way.
You don't really have to replace the o-ring each time, but why not? O-rings harden with time and take a set to their installed location. When you remove and reinstall them, they won't sit exactly like they were before, so they won't conform as nicely to the new location as a brand new o-ring would. You probably could get away with reusing the o-ring through multiple oil changes, but each time increases the likelihood that it will start to seep or leak. Knowing this, Mopar supplies a new o-ring with each filter, so it doesn't really make any sense to not change it. You don't save anything except the effort required to remove the old o-ring and install the new one, and that is very modest. If you would really like to build up your o-ring collection so that you have lots of new o-rings in your garage, you could almost certainly get away with replacing the o-ring every other oil change with no ill effect. If I had lost the o-ring that came with a filter, it wouldn't bother me to reuse the existing ring for that one change.

2018 Bright White Pacifica Hybrid Limited
Ordered: 15 SEP 2017
VIN: 19 SEP 2017
D1: 19 SEP 2017
Build sheet: 25 SEP 2017
JS: 28 SEP 2017
SL: 28 OCT 2017
KZ: 29 OCT 2017
Sticker: 30 OCT 2017
Dealer: 21 NOV 2017
Possession: 28 NOV 2017
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 01:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpilot View Post
I happened to find Castrol edge synthetic in a 5 quart container on sale so that's what I went with. This is not a discussion on what brand is better. Just verify it meets Chrysler MS-6395 specification.
Excellent write up. One thing though: I don't believe Castrol Edge in the 0W-20 formula is MS-6395 spec'd. See my post here:

https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/...s-6395%5D.html See page 2.

I hope I am wrong though. But I thought I read it correctly. Thanks again for the great write-up!
irpilot likes this.

2018 Touring L Plus - Granite Crystal Metallic / "S" Appearance / Black & Light Diesel Gray / 20" Black Noise Wheels / Advanced Safety Tech / Tri-Panoramic Sunroof / Uconnect Theater / 20 Speaker Harman Kardon / Hands-Free Doors / 3D MAXpider Mats / HID+LED Conversion / Rayno Phantom S9 Nano-Ceramic Tint / Vantrue N2 Pro Dual Dash Cam / Thule Motion XXL Roof Box / Lifetime Max Care Warranty / Tire & Wheel Warranty
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrules View Post
Excellent write up. One thing though: I don't believe Castrol Edge in the 0W-20 formula is MS-6395 spec'd. See my post here:

https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/...s-6395%5D.html See page 2.

I hope I am wrong though. But I thought I read it correctly. Thanks again for the great write-up!
Good catch. Looks like every other weight except 0-20 is MS-6395 certified.

2017 PACIFICA LIMITED GRANITE CRYSTAL METALLIC, BLACK ALLOY, SAFETY TEC, UCONNECT THEATER/SOUND, 20" WHEELS. DELIVERED 09/12/16.
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 08:52 AM

irpilot,
Thanks for posting. My first oil change was done by the dealer because FCA was nice enough to send me a coupon for a free oil change. The next oil changes will be done by me. I've always changed my own oil but stopped 2 years ago because the savings with conventional oil at my trusted mechanic just wasn't enough anymore. Plus I'm retired now and scheduling an appointment is easier. But the Pacifica is so easy to do and savings are larger for synthetic oil changes. My wife's F250 will still go to the mechanic.
irpilot likes this.

2017 Pacifica Limited (built May 2016)
Vacuum delete, KeySense and Tow
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 09:23 AM

Great write up! When calculating the amount of oil needed you mentioned dividing by the number of dogs you own. My three dogs weigh about 25 lbs combined, so does that matter? All three don't ride in the car together very often so I'm guessing I'll be closer to 5 quarts?

Thanks again for the write up!
irpilot and mark like this.

2017 Pacifica Limited - VMI wheelchair conversion
2015 T&C - VMI wheelchair conversion
2013 Ford Escape
2000 Chrysler Pacifica
1994 BMW 325i
1978 Jeep CJ-7
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binopac View Post
Great write up! When calculating the amount of oil needed you mentioned dividing by the number of dogs you own. My three dogs weigh about 25 lbs combined, so does that matter? All three don't ride in the car together very often so I'm guessing I'll be closer to 5 quarts?

Thanks again for the write up!
Lol. You definitely have a tricky dog situation. Glad you got the math to work out.

post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 12:36 PM

One tip I can add is that before I loosened the oil filter cap for the first time I put a dot of paint on the cap and the housing.
This way I could tighten the cap to the same spot that it came from the factory, without worrying about over tightening it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page