ESS/Auxiliary Battery - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 7Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Northern Minnesota
Posts: 674
ESS/Auxiliary Battery

2018 Pacifica Gas models with ESS have a small auxiliary battery right next to the main battery.
My question is: When at a stop and the engine is shut down, which battery is running the AC, Entertainment, Lights, wipers, etc? Is the small auxiliary battery used to run that stuff, or is it isolated and saved for restarting the gas engine?
It doesn't matter, as long as it all works, but I'm curious.
Longtimemopar likes this.
Lipster is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 09:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Isanti, MN
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipster View Post
2018 Pacifica Gas models with ESS have a small auxiliary battery right next to the main battery.
My question is: When at a stop and the engine is shut down, which battery is running the AC, Entertainment, Lights, wipers, etc? Is the small auxiliary battery used to run that stuff, or is it isolated and saved for restarting the gas engine?
It doesn't matter, as long as it all works, but I'm curious.
The small battery powers the majority of the electrical needs of the van when the engine shuts off, which reserves the larger cranking battery for engine starting. This is from the factory shop manual:

How does the ESS system function - simple overview:

- ESS shuts the engine off when the vehicle stops

- The vehicle has to be stopped for a pre-set time before the engine is switched off

- Then, it restarts when the driver releases the brake to move the vehicle

- The system senses brake pedal position and vehicle speed to determine that the vehicle is moving

- Powertrain calibration makes the decision when to shut off the engine and when to restart the engine again

- The ESS function is transparent to the driver

- When the engine stops, a smaller secondary battery keeps accessory features powered, like the fan, wipers, headlights, audio system, etc.

- A Dual Battery Control and Power Relay Control are used to smooth out voltage dips when the starter cranks the engine
Longtimemopar and GoWFO like this.
TomB985 is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 10:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Waldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Downstate Illinois (and sometimes Florida)
Posts: 892
The AC compressor is run off the engine, so it is not actually cooling when the ESS system stops the engine. The fan is kept running by the smaller battery, blowing the residual cool air into the cabin. As soon as the system senses that the residual cool is no longer cool enough, the engine will restart, even if you are still waiting for a green light.
Longtimemopar and GoWFO like this.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited Billet Silver, AST, 20" wheels (build date 1-25-18)
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude V6 FWD Eco Green

Past . . .
2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L, 2003 Mazda MPV, 1997 Odyssey,
1999 Accord, 1994 Accord, 1988 Accord . . .
. . . and others in the 'way back machine!
. . . First new car:
1962 Plymouth Valiant
Waldo is online now  
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 04:05 PM
Senior Member
 
GoWFO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Eastern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 116
Great Info Guys, I love this place. Empowered with this knowledge, I'm thinking about powering my dashcam from the small aux battery for extended parking mode



Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB985 View Post
The small battery powers the majority of the electrical needs of the van when the engine shuts off, which reserves the larger cranking battery for engine starting. This is from the factory shop manual:

How does the ESS system function - simple overview:

- ESS shuts the engine off when the vehicle stops

- The vehicle has to be stopped for a pre-set time before the engine is switched off

- Then, it restarts when the driver releases the brake to move the vehicle

- The system senses brake pedal position and vehicle speed to determine that the vehicle is moving

- Powertrain calibration makes the decision when to shut off the engine and when to restart the engine again

- The ESS function is transparent to the driver

- When the engine stops, a smaller secondary battery keeps accessory features powered, like the fan, wipers, headlights, audio system, etc.

- A Dual Battery Control and Power Relay Control are used to smooth out voltage dips when the starter cranks the engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
The AC compressor is run off the engine, so it is not actually cooling when the ESS system stops the engine. The fan is kept running by the smaller battery, blowing the residual cool air into the cabin. As soon as the system senses that the residual cool is no longer cool enough, the engine will restart, even if you are still waiting for a green light.

2017 PACIFICA LIMITED
Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Black/Deep Mocha interior with Deep Mocha seats
3.6L Pentastar VVT V6 engine with ESS
Customer Preferred Package 27
Hands−Free Sliding Door & Liftgate Group
AdvanTec Safety Group
Tri-Pane Sunroof
20" Tire & Wheel Group
Uconnect Theatre & Sound Group
Trailer Tow Group
KeySense
ManuDate: June 24 @Midnight
Purchase New: March 2018
GoWFO is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 05:43 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 3
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Gas models with ESS small auxiliary battery stopped working as of 6/2/2018. This has affected the start from a distance on the Key Fob. The Authorized Dealer "Auto Nation" parts manager and service manager stated that the auxiliary battery has been on back order for over a month. (there are over 27 other owners waiting for the battery) Chrysler is not or has not filled any axulliary battery back orders. What is happening???. We've only had the vehicle a year w/9000 miles. Is this the start of future problems with this ESS system??? This was the main feature that attracted us to this vehicle.

We live in hot a climate and in the summer 95 degree or more then feels like 105. So to start the car from a distance and have it cooled when you get to it is a keeper. ; of course when it is working.
ESS-Stop 6-2-18 is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 06:03 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 1
Chrysler pacifica 2017

I have a 2017 Pacifica and I got a powertrain code and then the whole car locked up and the car thought it was on but nothing would work. I take it to dealership and they claim its the auxiliary battery and that battery also killed my regular car battery so now i have a car that is two years old and I have the extended warranty and none of this is covered? I bought a new car so I would not have these problems. so now I pay for my car and I pay for a warranty and I am now paying over 600.00 to repair a car that is ONLY two years old and not to mention I think this extremely dangerous that a car just locks up like this, I am told since I am at 41000.00 miles I am out of luck and nothing is covered under the extended warranty. This was my second Chrysler van but it will now be my last. if this is how you do business when this is a known problem with this car.
j13h22 is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 06:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NYC
Posts: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by j13h22 View Post
I have a 2017 Pacifica and I got a powertrain code and then the whole car locked up and the car thought it was on but nothing would work. I take it to dealership and they claim its the auxiliary battery and that battery also killed my regular car battery so now i have a car that is two years old and I have the extended warranty and none of this is covered? I bought a new car so I would not have these problems. so now I pay for my car and I pay for a warranty and I am now paying over 600.00 to repair a car that is ONLY two years old and not to mention I think this extremely dangerous that a car just locks up like this, I am told since I am at 41000.00 miles I am out of luck and nothing is covered under the extended warranty. This was my second Chrysler van but it will now be my last. if this is how you do business when this is a known problem with this car.
Not sure what you mean by "extended warranty." The bumper to bumper is 3 years / 36K, and you are 5K over that. If you bought one of the usual extended warranties, I would think it would be covered, but you should read the exclusions. If you are thinking the 5 year/60K powertrain warranty, it is the engine itself, transmission, etc -- very few if any auxiliary items (like alternator, electronic controls, etc.)

According to https://www.chrysler.com/crossbrand/...df/Minivan.pdf the engine parts covered on (listed on pages 9 & 10) are:

Gasoline Engine: cylinder block and all internal parts; cylinder head assemblies; timing case, timing chain, timing belt, gears and sprockets; vibration damper; oil pump; water pump and housing; intake and exhaust manifolds; flywheel with starter ring gear; core plugs; valve covers; oil pan; turbocharger housing and internal parts; turbocharger wastegate actuator; supercharger; serpentine belt tensioner; seals and gaskets for listed components only.


You need to ask the dealer why it is not covered under an extended warranty you purchased -- maybe contact the salesperson if you are at the dealer you purchased the van from.

You can also try to reach out to @ChryslerCares (or by phone.)

Batteries are a known problem but not limited to Chrysler, but the extent is not clear. Remember that there are over 300K Pacificas out there, making the number of problems posted here a very tiny percentage (which is little consolation if it is you.) It would be nice, though, if Chrysler would on its own extend the battery warranty in light of the problems highlighted on these forum pages. If it is widespread they should, and if it is rare, the good vibes would be a plus at small cost.
Longtimemopar likes this.

2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus
Build date Oct 2016 - Delivered 11/30/16
jerry17 is online now  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 06:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NYC
Posts: 755
I would add that one thing is extremely clear -- low voltage on batteries drives the warning systems nuts with unrelated error codes. That is a warning in and of itself.
Longtimemopar likes this.

2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus
Build date Oct 2016 - Delivered 11/30/16
jerry17 is online now  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 04:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Auburn Hills, MI
Posts: 1,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by j13h22 View Post
I have a 2017 Pacifica and I got a powertrain code and then the whole car locked up and the car thought it was on but nothing would work. I take it to dealership and they claim its the auxiliary battery and that battery also killed my regular car battery so now i have a car that is two years old and I have the extended warranty and none of this is covered? I bought a new car so I would not have these problems. so now I pay for my car and I pay for a warranty and I am now paying over 600.00 to repair a car that is ONLY two years old and not to mention I think this extremely dangerous that a car just locks up like this, I am told since I am at 41000.00 miles I am out of luck and nothing is covered under the extended warranty. This was my second Chrysler van but it will now be my last. if this is how you do business when this is a known problem with this car.
Hi j13h22,
We understand your frustration. If you would like to send us a private message, we will gladly look into this to see if there's anything we can do on our end to help you out.
Lydia
Chrysler Social Care Specialist
ChryslerCares is online now  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 04:33 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 1
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Gas models with ESS small auxiliary battery stopped working.

2017 Chrysler Pacifica Gas models with ESS small auxiliary battery stopped working. i hate this car, i would never buy it again.i put a new battery ,it start if I start car every day, if I do not start car for 2 days then it will not start. even I bought the battery starter for over $150 but it would not start the car till someone give me jump.
I never has issue before with honda or toyota.
azk55 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gas Pacifica Battery Gauge & Info SciTchr Electronics 36 05-16-2019 07:46 PM
Hybrid Battery Technical Details zootjeff 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica PHEV Hybrid General Discussion 72 04-23-2018 03:02 PM
Hybrid Battery: messages stored U11c5-00 and pending P1A0F, plus low engine coolant HybridK Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Issues And Problems 6 04-16-2018 09:41 AM
PHEV Battery Best Practices PlatinumHybrid 2017+ Pacifica PHEV Hybrid Batteries And Charging 5 03-30-2018 03:44 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome