EZ oil change - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
EZ oil change

I changed the van's oil at 3500 and it went surprisingly smooth. I didn't even need to jack the van up! (nor did I use an extractor). Anyone else enjoy this method?

The oil pan fits underneath the van with just enough clearance where I can open the panel to drain the oil. Somewhat tight fit, but nice not to have to jack up the vehicle.

I can do the same with my WRX, but wasn't expecting with the van - nice surprise!
craig likes this.

2018 TL+ Jazz Blue / "S" Appearance / Advanced Safety Tech / 8-seat / Towing / 18" stock winter wheels / 20 Speaker HK / spare tire / splash guards / keysense. Ordered 4/6/18, built 4/13/18, Upfit complete 4/25/18, Arrival ETA available on 4/30 (5/5-5/15), unloaded from train in Jessup, MD 5/6, trucked to dealer 5/16
Mods: 19" MSW Type 48 Black wheels w/wider 255 tires, LED conversion, Husky Xact Floormats, Ceramic Tint, aukey DS02 dashcam
Next up: Shop manual
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig2121 View Post
I changed the van's oil at 3500 and it went surprisingly smooth. I didn't even need to jack the van up! (nor did I use an extractor). Anyone else enjoy this method?
This is encouraging as I enjoy changing the oil in our vehicles, as well. I changed the on-top oil filter at 3,000 miles, but not the oil itself (although I already bought a 5-qt container of Quaker State Full Synthetic Ultimate Durability MS6395 compatible oil at Walmart when I saw it was finally in stock). Probably wait until the van has closer to the recommend 10,000 miles. I have an oil extractor from TopSider, but not sure it gets out as much oil as pulling the plug and letting it drain from the bottom (that's another topic).

I'm sure someone is going to ask how many quarts you put in (yet another topic), so may as well ask now and get it out of the way. Was it 5 or 6 quarts?!

2018 Pacifica Touring L Plus (gas)
Built April 10, 2018 (Tuesday)
Molten silver exterior
Toffee cognac alloy interior (gray carpeting)
Advanced Safety Tech
18" tire/wheel group (Michelin Premier tires)
Spare tire kit w/tire, sealer and inflator
Mopar Lifetime warranty

Mods:
Lumar AIR 80 front side window tint.
Maxpider Kagu front mats (with thanks to thread started by Chase023 in Accessories and Add Ons forum).
Alla 7443 LED brake/turn signal bulbs (with thanks to Josef15111 sticky in Electronics forum).
iJDMTOY Amber CAN-bus PWY24W LED front turn signal bulbs (credit same Josef15111 sticky).
JDM ASTAR 1200 lumens LED backup bulbs (with thanks to KorbenD in LED Replacement Lights topic of Electronics subforum).
Catizon H11 LEDs CREE for fogs (with thanks to Stop-Eject in LED Replacement Lights topic; and for his instructions).
VLED Micro LED 9011 low-beams (with thanks to Fast55 for advice on beam pattern)
Viofo A119S dash cam (have A118 on my 4Runner)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 11:40 AM

Yeah, having the filter on top is so nice.

2018 Pacifica Limited Billet Silver Metallic Clear Coat
Uconnectģ Theater with Streaming and Sound
Interior Protection Package
Trailer Tow Group
Advanced SafetyTec Group
KeySense
8ĖPassenger Seating & 20ĖInch Wheel Group
Delete Vacuum / Add Spare Tire
Front and Rear Splash Guards
Engine Block Heater
Lifetime Warranty w/ $100 Deductible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 12:15 PM

I have been using Rhino ramps for oil changes for years - easier and safer than jacking - nice to know there is plenty of room.

2018 Touring L
Collapsible spare tire kit
WeatherTech window deflectors, floor mats, and cargo liner
State-issued Vietnam Veteran License plate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificaMinivanFan View Post
I have an oil extractor from TopSider, but not sure it gets out as much oil as pulling the plug and letting it drain from the bottom (that's another topic).
It does.
Toast likes this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipster View Post
It does.
Hey Lipster, do you know how far (inches of suction tube) you inserted into dipstick? There was still .5 qt left in the pan when I used the topsider. Next time I will insert farther.

2017 Pacifica Limited (built May 2016)
Vacuum delete, KeySense and Tow
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 12:25 AM

My best time for oil and filter change is just under 7 minutes but I use an extractor and warm oil. Nice to change the filter while the extractor is doing its thing.
Norbert and Lipster like this.

Brett
2017 Gas Pacifica Limited, Vel Red/Black/Alloy
Tow, Vac, Adv SafetyTec, UConnect Theater, 18" Wheels
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 06:28 PM

I also used an extractor for my Pacifica. It worked perfectly and I extracted exactly 5 quarts. I pumped quite awhile to be sure I got all the oil out. I'LL never go back to changing my oil any other way.
Norbert, mark and Lipster like this.

2018 Pacifica Touring L
Velvet Red Pearl
Black/Alloy Interior
Advanced SafetyTec
Premium Audio
Tire and Wheel Group
Trailer Tow Group
KeySense
Alloy Seats
Power 8-Way Passenger Seat
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 07:01 PM

Yup just did another oil change using the evacuation method. If youíre worried about gettting every single drop out and donít mind paying extra, buy an extra bottle and pour it in after the suction finishes. Then pump that out. I tried this (I didnít use the whole quart though) and it came out clean and clear. Then poured the 5quart Mobil 1 bottle in and checked the dipstick. Perfectly full!
BlueTouring, Lipster and craig like this.

2017 Billet/Alloy Limited - UConnect Theater/Sound, 20 inch Wheels, Safety Tec

Previously:
2001 Ody EX
2004 Ody EX NAV
2006 Ody Touring RES NAV
2009 Ody Touring RES NAV
2011 Ody Elite
2014 Ody Elite
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbert View Post
Yup just did another oil change using the evacuation method. If youíre worried about gettting every single drop out and donít mind paying extra, buy an extra bottle and pour it in after the suction finishes. Then pump that out. I tried this (I didnít use the whole quart though) and it came out clean and clear. Then poured the 5quart Mobil 1 bottle in and checked the dipstick. Perfectly full!
Norbert, how far are you inserting the suction tube (length in inches)? Thanks.

2017 Pacifica Limited (built May 2016)
Vacuum delete, KeySense and Tow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page