ESS by pass - Page 3 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 07:16 PM

Only takes a Second to hit the ESS Off button, which is a mandatory action in a Phoenix Summer. It would have been Nice if the software designer would have made it a configuration option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 07:47 PM

Anybody know what ESS does if the ESS battery fails or is disconnected? Does your engine shut off at a traffic light and not restart or does it disable ESS completely.

Brett
2017 Gas Pacifica Limited, Vel Red/Black/Alloy
Tow, Vac, Adv SafetyTec, UConnect Theater, 18" Wheels
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettP View Post
Anybody know what ESS does if the ESS battery fails or is disconnected? Does your engine shut off at a traffic light and not restart or does it disable ESS completely.

Havenít tried doing anything intentionally but my ESS failed a couple times (see other threads) and ended up in state where it was permanently disabled. Shows the error light on dash and says its disabled on every start. May be possible to trigger that state intentionally, although does give you one extra ding sound on every start.

2018 Pacifica Limited (gas) - Oct. 2017 build

post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apnar View Post
Havenít tried doing anything intentionally but my ESS failed a couple times (see other threads) and ended up in state where it was permanently disabled. Shows the error light on dash and says its disabled on every start. May be possible to trigger that state intentionally, although does give you one extra ding sound on every start.
Thanks, @apnar , I remember now your issue in those other threads. Interesting...

Brett
2017 Gas Pacifica Limited, Vel Red/Black/Alloy
Tow, Vac, Adv SafetyTec, UConnect Theater, 18" Wheels
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
It's called gentle rib poking humor, SBC. I thought it was clever.

For the first time yesterday, I saw those metal straws at Walmart. I blanched at the thought of some child sipping his juicy cup while riding in his safety seat, and Mommy makes a sudden emergency stop, and the environmentally friendly metal straw rams through his gullet. But it is cleanable and reusable. (That's called snarky satire.)

Blind decisions by advocacy groups often have unintended consequences. ESS has some problems too. Extra parts and batteries have to be manufactured for the vehicle at an environmental cost. The engine itself emits an extra puff of exhaust when it restarts, often after a very short down time (I know, I drive a Pacifica). How long before the down time compensates for the restart pollution? I'm pretty sure sure these question are of minor consideration to the manufacturers compared to the sales benefit of 1-2 MPG shown on the Monroney sticker.
As far as a child and a metal straw, that's really taking worrying too far, IMO. The sippy cup alone with no straw could chip a tooth, or cave in a soft skull if thrown. Nothing is 100% safe.

And as far as the ESS system, worrying about the parts manufacturing costs is insignificant, as lead acid batteries are one of the most recyclable items in vehicles, and a beefier starter is better than not.

The fuel savings may only be a small amount, but the less fuel that's burned, the better for the environment, and the better world you leave for that hypothetical kid in the back, even by a small amount.

Finally, ESS doesn't just blindly enable at all stops - As the video linked in this thread shows, the system watches for several conditions to be met first. For example, if climate control could not be sustained by the battery, and the vehicle is not yet warm or cool enough relative to the target temperature, the system won't activate. You don't need to second guess the system, it has reasonable limits pre-programmed into it.
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 08:21 AM

I had my doubts about the ESS for the same reasons you do. I’ve had my Pacifica for over a year and spent the past 10 months or so letting the ESS do its thing. It has been exceptional and seamless. The way I see it, should problems occur I might as well find out while the manufacturer foots the bill. I’m kinda old-school and stuck in my ways in some ways but am not afraid to embrace new technology since that’s the way the world is these days.
Up until the time ESS glitches on me I’m sticking with it. I ain’t skeered! 😉
TomB985 likes this.
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey1! View Post
Have a 2019 ICE Pacifica on order.After looking thru these forums it seems evident that there are a lot of problems with the ESS system and batteries.I am not a fan of that system,usually keep vehicles a long time.Canít see replacing starters and batteries over a period of time just to have a minimal savings on fuel.This system is not to be confused with a true hybrid system that have much larger capacity batteries,and due not use the small starter to restart the engine.Wondering if anyone tried (with the factory tow system) plugging in a 7 to 4 plug adapter and not having to remember to turn off manually the ESS system,if that works.It does function on some other vehicles.Appreciate any input. Thanks
I too am not a fan of ESS and am grateful that my '17 doesn't have it. If you have the tow package I bet something like >this< might work and at less than $10 might be worth a shot. Van should think you have a trailer hooked up and auto-disable the ESS for you.

2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peddler View Post
I had my doubts about the ESS for the same reasons you do. Iíve had my Pacifica for over a year and spent the past 10 months or so letting the ESS do its thing. It has been exceptional and seamless. The way I see it, should problems occur I might as well find out while the manufacturer foots the bill. Iím kinda old-school and stuck in my ways in some ways but am not afraid to embrace new technology since thatís the way the world is these days.
Up until the time ESS glitches on me Iím sticking with it. I ainít skeered! &#x1f609;
Psst. Here's a little secret about how business works: the manufacturer does not foot the bill. You foot the bill.
Toast and sjambok like this.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited Billet Silver, AST, 20" wheels (build date 1-25-18)
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude V6 FWD Eco Green

Past . . .
2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L, 2003 Mazda MPV, 1997 Odyssey,
1999 Accord, 1994 Accord, 1988 Accord . . .
. . . and others in the 'way back machine!
. . . First new car:
1962 Plymouth Valiant
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Update on my original query on disabling ESS with a plug installed in 7 plug connector on towing circuit.Picked up my new Touring L +
on Saturday and installed 3045-P wire harness to pair up with Prodigy 2 trailer brake controller.Install was very easy ,plugging into factory connector under dash.By putting 7 plug connector into towing plug ,it does not disable ESS. May be different when hooked up to trailer,however of no concern to me. Thanks for all your input 👍🤗
TomB985 likes this.
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 12:27 AM

I rented a 2017 Limited (when they were still available at Enterprise) and it did NOT run the A/C with ESS activated. Which was a significant problem for a passenger who is very heat sensitive on a sunny 95-degree day. Even one minute in direct sunlight with no A/C is a problem and if I was preoccupied at an intersection when it kicked off it was one more distraction from driving to correct the problem. Since we were making a lot of short trips (errands) I had to remember to disable the ESS each time we got back in the car.

I don't know if the A/C shutoff is still a problem on the 2018 models, but it should definitely be at least dealer-disabled on customer request.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in