ESS by pass - Page 5 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipster View Post
My Gosh, that is truly a 1st world problem!

2018 Limited gas is already loaded. Ocean blue w/Black-Diesel Interior. Build date Friday the 13th, 4/18. Lifetime Warranty. Lots of extras.
2019 Ford F-150 XLT added to the garage on 3/5/2019. Many mods done since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:34 PM

Hello All,
A new member of the forum because we purchased a new 2019 Pacifica and it came with ESS.
I do have a mixed feeling about ESS, like the idea but to me in most cases the fuel savings are non existing or even negative. I live in a area with number of Stop signs and no Traffic so the engine stops & starts at every stops unless we disable.

Called Chrysler Customer Service and wanted to know if there is any hacks or software upgrade but to my surprise the Service Professional have no idea of the system. They simply suggested to call dealer which I know is also not a fan of this have have no good suggestions.

My take is I will really like the system if the parameters that enables the feature can be customized to some extent.
1) Put a Delay so it avoids when we only stop for a second or two. This will same a lot of wear and tear
2) Put a limit on number of auto stop/start per 1000 miles
3) learn driver's driving pattern and adjust accordingly for best savings on fuel / wear and tear
4) let user select a driving mode such a city/highway/Town/etc so the program can make a better judgement call.
post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansupal View Post
Hello All,
A new member of the forum because we purchased a new 2019 Pacifica and it came with ESS.
I do have a mixed feeling about ESS, like the idea but to me in most cases the fuel savings are non existing or even negative. I live in a area with number of Stop signs and no Traffic so the engine stops & starts at every stops unless we disable.
I am not a total fan of ESS either and dread future costs to maintain it. However, as far as the stop signs, you will notice that if you do not come to an absolutely PERFECT stop (ever so slight motion forward) and do not fully press the brake, the ESS will not engage. So, you can learn how to manage it by how you press the brake.

I use this as needed to avoid numerous quick ESS stops and restarts.

Mine makes no sense how it works anyway. Sometimes it is available quickly and other times it seems to be charging all the time.

among others:
1975 Plymouth Valiant
1989 Plymouth Voyager
2005 Chrysler T&C
as of 4/4/2018
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Red Velvet w/Advanced Safety and upgraded audio

post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltoppper View Post
I am not a total fan of ESS either and dread future costs to maintain it. However, as far as the stop signs, you will notice that if you do not come to an absolutely PERFECT stop (ever so slight motion forward) and do not fully press the brake, the ESS will not engage. So, you can learn how to manage it by how you press the brake.

I use this as needed to avoid numerous quick ESS stops and restarts.

Mine makes no sense how it works anyway. Sometimes it is available quickly and other times it seems to be charging all the time.
ansupal,
Not good advise to not come to a complete stop at stop signs. A full stop allows you the time you need to MAKE SURE there is no cross traffic. Motorcycles are hard to see when you roll through stop signs. And when a police officer is having a bad day, he can give you a ticket for not coming to a complete stop. I know many friends that have received that ticket.
As to the stupid stop/start: There are devices you can attach that give you the option to have it always off or function as it was designed for. I have one on my limited and never have to worry on a dead van at a stop sign.
Welcome to the forum.

2018 Limited gas is already loaded. Ocean blue w/Black-Diesel Interior. Build date Friday the 13th, 4/18. Lifetime Warranty. Lots of extras.
post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:44 PM

I do not like the ESS. I was going to buy the disable module. I decided to see if I could train myself to push START and then ESS disable as muscle memory. It took two weeks, but I now am on autopilot to turn off the ESS. Sit, seatbelt, START button, ESS button. So I'm not going to shell out for the module it seems.

I found putting a picture above the ESS button helped my notice it more to remember to turn it off. I put a picture of a person I don't particularly like to get my attention LOL.
Okievision likes this.

2018 Touring L (Gas)
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea_of_Tranquility View Post
I do not like the ESS. I was going to buy the disable module. I decided to see if I could train myself to push START and then ESS disable as muscle memory. It took two weeks, but I now am on autopilot to turn off the ESS. Sit, seatbelt, START button, ESS button. So I'm not going to shell out for the module it seems.

I found putting a picture above the ESS button helped my notice it more to remember to turn it off. I put a picture of a person I don't particularly like to get my attention LOL.
I like the picture idea. I tried that in my 2019 truck and thought I had it stuck in my head. Then, you guessed it, I forgot and the truck died at the stop light. I did not even notice until I tried to move. Then the delay and the horn behind me. But I have a easy way to kill it in the truck and it stays that way so I don't need the "device" to kill it. I like to call it SSS=stupid stop start. It should have been designed so if YOU wanted it YOU could turn it on

post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiddyKatPerson View Post
(snip) . . . It should have been designed so if YOU wanted it YOU could turn it on
Yeah, but blame your progressive congresspeeps, not FCA. The regulation requires that you cannot claim the 1-2 mpg benefit on the Monroney sticker if you allow a permanent disable. That's the ONLY reason any manufacturer puts that stupid system in the car.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited Billet Silver, AST, 20" wheels (build date 1-25-18)
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude V6 FWD Eco Green

Past . . .
2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L, 2003 Mazda MPV, 1997 Odyssey,
1999 Accord, 1994 Accord, 1988 Accord . . .
. . . and others in the 'way back machine!
. . . First new car:
1962 Plymouth Valiant
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Unplug the hood open sensor,then forget about it.
post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey1! View Post
Unplug the hood open sensor,then forget about it.
Seems simple, do you get a notice/alarm that your hood is open then?

Sorry, I should have read more of this thread. Looks like you get a notice on the screen and it disables the remote start feature.

2019 Limited, Luxury White, HK Sound, Tow Group, Advanced Safety Tec Group

Last edited by thclimer; 05-19-2019 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Found answer to my question

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page