ESS by pass - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

ESS by pass

Have a 2019 ICE Pacifica on order.After looking thru these forums it seems evident that there are a lot of problems with the ESS system and batteries.I am not a fan of that system,usually keep vehicles a long time.Can’t see replacing starters and batteries over a period of time just to have a minimal savings on fuel.This system is not to be confused with a true hybrid system that have much larger capacity batteries,and due not use the small starter to restart the engine.Wondering if anyone tried (with the factory tow system) plugging in a 7 to 4 plug adapter and not having to remember to turn off manually the ESS system,if that works.It does function on some other vehicles.Appreciate any input. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 05:51 PM

Though I can't prove it, as I do not own a gas Pacifica, it stands to reason that Chrysler would have specifically upgraded the battery, starter, and anything else involved in the ESS system. They are not the first to implement an ESS system (it been around for years in other manufacturer's luxury vehicles), and I seem to recall another topic on here covering the same worry about part longevity with them. Similarly, it was unfounded.

Disabling it for a perceived extra part longevity, especially when batteries are already a normal wear component anyway, seems to be a terrible idea. Also, forcing the van to run unnecessarily when stopped will only add to pollution. Adding needlessly to the world's pollution level, especially when lead-acid batteries are so thoroughly recyclable, seems stupid, especially when driving a vehicle intended for families. "Here, son/daughter, let's add to the pollution you'll need to deal with when you grow up!"
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the input.I am still trying to find a restaurant that does not use plastic straws.
From a veteran and and an elderly grandfather.
Waldo and sjambok like this.

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey1! View Post
Thank you for the input.I am still trying to find a restaurant that does not use plastic straws.
From a veteran and and an elderly grandfather.
I'm not sure how that applies to this topic, but if you don't like plastic straws, you can always buy (and remember to bring) your own cleanable and reusable metal straws. Also, some restaurants are starting to use waxed paper straws, in place of plastic straws, in some areas.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Have a 2019 ICE Pacifica on order.After looking thru these forums it seems evident that there are a lot of problems with the ESS system and batteries.I am not a fan of that system,usually keep vehicles a long time.Can’t see replacing starters and batteries over a period of time just to have a minimal savings on fuel.This system is not to be confused with a true hybrid system that have much larger capacity batteries,and due not use the small starter to restart the engine.Wondering if anyone tried (with the factory tow system) plugging in a 7 to 4 plug adapter and not having to remember to turn off manually the ESS system,if that works.It does function on some other vehicles.Appreciate any input. Thanks
If you’re going to keep it a long time just buy a lifetime warranty from the Chrysler factory. You have to ask for it - they won’t tell you about them because stealerships don’t make money on them like they do 3rd party warranty companies that give them commission. You can buy a lifetime warranty up to 48k miles / 48 months - whatever comes first. There are different levels and different deductibles to choose from.

Browse around this site to views more details but i’d Buy it thru your dealer.
https://www.chryslerwarrantys.com/lifetime_warranty.cfm

2018 Pacifica Limited Billet Silver Metallic Clear Coat
Uconnect® Theater with Streaming and Sound
Interior Protection Package
Trailer Tow Group
Advanced SafetyTec Group
KeySense
8–Passenger Seating & 20–Inch Wheel Group
Delete Vacuum / Add Spare Tire
Front and Rear Splash Guards
Engine Block Heater
Lifetime Warranty w/ $100 Deductible
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Thank you.👍
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Thank you.👍
Anytime, allot of my family work at the Belvidere, IL plant that's the only reason I ever came to know about it. Though at the time I found out was about 4 months too late for our jeep patriot . Warranty can be purchased for any chrysler, dodge, jeep, fiat products with a few exceptions of SRT and hellcats ect...
Enjoy your new pacifica, I love mine.
BrettP and Longtimemopar like this.

2018 Pacifica Limited Billet Silver Metallic Clear Coat
Uconnect® Theater with Streaming and Sound
Interior Protection Package
Trailer Tow Group
Advanced SafetyTec Group
KeySense
8–Passenger Seating & 20–Inch Wheel Group
Delete Vacuum / Add Spare Tire
Front and Rear Splash Guards
Engine Block Heater
Lifetime Warranty w/ $100 Deductible
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 01:29 AM

I wouldn’t say it’s evident that the ESS system on the Pacifica has a lot of problems. There’s a handful of people who have had issues with it, but considering how many of these vans have been sold I’d say the percentage of folks having trouble with it is quite small. I’ve never experienced a hiccup on ours and we’ve had our 2018 since September 2017.

There’s a separate AGM battery installed to handle the load of the electronics and HVAC blower when the ESS activates at a stop light. If the charge on that AGM battery is not sufficient the ESS will not activate. Although I’ve never seen ours not activate due to insufficient charge. Also, the starter in ESS equipped Pacifica’s is rated to handle 10x more start cycles than a standard starter.

Here’s a good article that explains the benefits of AGM batteries in this type of application.

https://www.autobatteries.com/en-us/...at-agm-battery

Also a video from Chrysler regarding the Pacifica’s ESS system.

Last edited by manoli; 09-03-2018 at 01:51 AM.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 07:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by manoli View Post
I wouldn’t say it’s evident that the ESS system on the Pacifica has a lot of problems. There’s a handful of people who have had issues with it, but considering how many of these vans have been sold I’d say the percentage of folks having trouble with it is quite small. I’ve never experienced a hiccup on ours and we’ve had our 2018 since September 2017.

There’s a separate AGM battery installed to handle the load of the electronics and HVAC blower when the ESS activates at a stop light. If the charge on that AGM battery is not sufficient the ESS will not activate. Although I’ve never seen ours not activate due to insufficient charge. Also, the starter in ESS equipped Pacifica’s is rated to handle 10x more start cycles than a standard starter.

Here’s a good article that explains the benefits of AGM batteries in this type of application.

https://www.autobatteries.com/en-us/...at-agm-battery

Also a video from Chrysler regarding the Pacifica’s ESS system.

https://youtu.be/Hh6_s9oIFIk
Excellent! A must read/watch for every owner

2017 Pacifica
Touring L
Billet Silver
Package 27L
mfr. 5-17
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily View Post
If you’re going to keep it a long time just buy a lifetime warranty from the Chrysler factory. You have to ask for it - they won’t tell you about them because stealerships don’t make money on them like they do 3rd party warranty companies that give them commission. You can buy a lifetime warranty up to 48k miles / 48 months - whatever comes first. There are different levels and different deductibles to choose from.

Browse around this site to views more details but i’d Buy it thru your dealer.
https://www.chryslerwarrantys.com/lifetime_warranty.cfm
My dealer offered the Chrysler extended warranty but I passed due to the high price. Then I found a lower price on this forum from another dealer. If the OP is interested in the extended warranty I suggest a search of this forum to find the dealers with the best pricing. The extended warranty can be purchased from any dealer. It does not have to be the dealer you purchased the van from.
Tuskwhite likes this.

2017 Pacifica Limited (built May 2016)
Vacuum delete, KeySense and Tow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in