2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

My first oil change

7K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  mattlreese 
#1 ·
I have close to 1200 miles already when's the good time to change the oil & the filter ?..

#5 ·
I like both of Lipsters answers. I tend to do my first one very early for old-school reasons.

I’ll also be changing my tranny fluid while it is still red in color (not yet burnt). I think if you go too long you may be better off just leaving it alone but I don’t think these new experts define “transmission lifetime” to be 300K like I’m used to.

Reactions: soccerfan
#7 ·
But when I bought the van my son was going through a bad break up we helped them move from one condo to the next & carrying lots of heavy items putting 1200 miles within 20 days in the heat. So I think it's time to do the oil change .

#9 ·
True enough, but my understanding is the Pacifica comes with full-synthetic oil onboard, so to me the guidelines for changing oil are a bit different than with dino oil. That said, I did change the oil filter when our new Pacifica reached 3,000 miles, but not the oil.

Regarding the oil life indicator in the driver information center, ours appears to be strictly tied to the odometer without consideration as to the type of driving done. In other words, when the odometer read 3,100 miles, the oil life indicator read 69 percent; and at 4,100 miles, the oil life indicator read 59 percent. Is that everyone else's experience, too?

On our previous 2010 Town & Country Limited w/4.0L engine, I changed the oil every 5,000 miles with dino stuff (Chevron Supreme usually on sale at Costco). I was always having to add a quart every 2,500 miles due to a lot of city driving at the time, so changed it all out before having to add that second quart. Our new Pacifica has 4,700 miles now (53% oil life remaining) according to UConnect phone app, and I have yet to need to add anything to the crankcase.

#10 ·
straight out of the owners manual

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.