ZF9 Speed Transmission Oil Change DIY - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 8Likes
  • 5 Post By Andrew
  • 1 Post By Andrew
  • 2 Post By m0ebius604

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

ZF9 Speed Transmission Oil Change DIY

I did transmission oil change(drain and fill) at 42000 miles. It is easy and should not be demonized.

It went easy and car drives fine. I did it as a preventive maintenance.
- drop engine belly cover to get an access to drain bolt.
- check level prior to draining. I have used specialized dipstick(18$ on amazon) however you can make one yourself (link below). Temperatures charts are available online.
- Drain the fluid
I did drain and fill because i did not have time to play with transmission cooler lines to do proper flush. And i did not think it was necessary as fluid was relatively clean and 60% of volume exchange will be enough for first time.
I have drained 3.5 liters of old fluid( 6 liter(6.4qt) is total capacity)
- Fill the transmission through level check port
I have ensured that drained fluid has the same temp as new one for volume calculation purpose. However thermal expansion is overrated unless you are talking about 50 + degrees difference and much larger volume.
Filled through upper port 3.6 liters. Checked the level and according to temp chart and it was correct. It is not rocket science or chemistry lab and there is range for proper level so you don't have to be exact to the 0.1cc.

Drained fluid was dark but still transparent. No sludge.
Fluid used is OEM Mopar ZF 8&9 speed transmission fluid. Paid 140$ for 6 quarts on eBay.
Next time I will do proper flush by disconnecting cooler lines and will take more time to take better pictures and maybe record it.

Link to:
-How to check Zf9 speed fluid level. On Pacifica you don't have to remove tie rod because there is much more space comparing to Chrysler 200.

- how to measure oil level in transmission without dipstick . I know it is not ZF 9 speed but concept and actual temp chart is exactly the same.

There you go. Thank You.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6539.jpg (197.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6540.jpg (220.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6543.jpg (191.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6556.jpg (166.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6560.jpg (239.8 KB, 46 views)
BrettP, 6Gen, Smaz and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 08:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I did transmission oil change(drain and fill) at 42000 miles. It is easy and should not be demonized.

It went easy and car drives fine. I did it as a preventive maintenance.
- drop engine belly cover to get an access to drain bolt.
- check level prior to draining. I have used specialized dipstick(18$ on amazon) however you can make one yourself (link below). Temperatures charts are available online.
- Drain the fluid
I did drain and fill because i did not have time to play with transmission cooler lines to do proper flush. And i did not think it was necessary as fluid was relatively clean and 60% of volume exchange will be enough for first time.
I have drained 3.5 liters of old fluid( 6 liter(6.4qt) is total capacity)
- Fill the transmission through level check port
I have ensured that drained fluid has the same temp as new one for volume calculation purpose. However thermal expansion is overrated unless you are talking about 50 + degrees difference and much larger volume.
Filled through upper port 3.6 liters. Checked the level and according to temp chart and it was correct. It is not rocket science or chemistry lab and there is range for proper level so you don't have to be exact to the 0.1cc.

Drained fluid was dark but still transparent. No sludge.
Fluid used is OEM Mopar ZF 8&9 speed transmission fluid. Paid 140$ for 6 quarts on eBay.
Next time I will do proper flush by disconnecting cooler lines and will take more time to take better pictures and maybe record it.

Link to:
-How to check Zf9 speed fluid level. On Pacifica you don't have to remove tie rod because there is much more space comparing to Chrysler 200.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_KZ_E_QzpU

- how to measure oil level in transmission without dipstick . I know it is not ZF 9 speed but concept and actual temp chart is exactly the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHrOjLOvyFI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYnTxuV-DwE

There you go. Thank You.
Thanks for the info @Andrew . The fluid is not pink like most transmission fluid I have seen. Or maybe the new fluid is.
This should be stickied ....??? @irpilot

2017 Pacifica
Touring L
Billet Silver
Package 27L
mfr. 5-17
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

New fluid is transparent/light green. Not red or pink.
Longtimemopar likes this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 10:35 PM

Garage
The oil expands 1.5mm per 5c and the "correct" fill is a moving target.

Here are the Temperature charts for easy reference and completeness.

IMG_3261_1539829559224.PNGIMG_3263_1539830050586.PNG
BrettP and Longtimemopar like this.

-2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
-British Columbia Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by m0ebius604; 10-17-2018 at 10:38 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page