Ambient Air Temp causes several problems... - Page 2 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoughMade View Post
Well, at long last, the van is in to have the sensor replaced.

Ironically, it may be more accurate today than it has been for a while- it's -3 F here.
That's kinda how our van was. It didn't work for about a week, but it suddenly started working fine again. It's been a month and it's still providing accurate readings.

FWIW the exact same ambient air temp sensor is used in most other Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep models since 1999. A quick Google search seems to indicate that they have a high failure rate in those other vehicles as well.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 30K miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Well, got it replaced Friday. Saturday it worked perfectly.

Sunday, when we first started the van, the temps went to -20 ish, then up to 45 (it was just about 0 here), but after about 10 minutes of driving, it gradually came down to the correct temperature. Same thing happened with atrip Sunday evening.

Weird.

Anyway, I'll watch it for a week or so and see what happens.

Supposed to be a HIGH of -13F on Weds., lows in the -20s. That'll test it.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Well, it's doing it again. Yesterday, the temp varied from reading 115 degrees to -40, then went out completely, set the check engine light and disabled the automatic start/stop.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoughMade View Post
Well, it's doing it again. Yesterday, the temp varied from reading 115 degrees to -40, then went out completely, set the check engine light and disabled the automatic start/stop.
I had the ambient temperature sensor replaced on my van and it seemed to help, but I don't live in an area with such extremely cold temperatures.
Maybe you can private message @ChryslerCares to see if there are any TSBs for your van by sending them your VIN.
If you put your van info (year, trim, gas/hybrid, etc.) in the signature line of the UserCP it might help others assist you with other questions in the future.

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciTchr View Post
I had the ambient temperature sensor replaced on my van and it seemed to help, but I don't live in an area with such extremely cold temperatures.
Maybe you can private message @ChryslerCares to see if there are any TSBs for your van by sending them your VIN.
If you put your van info (year, trim, gas/hybrid, etc.) in the signature line of the UserCP it might help others assist you with other questions in the future.
Thank you. I have PM'd.

To be clear, our temps over the past few days have been from -23 to 50 degrees F, but my van believed it to be from -40 (or absolute 0 if that's what having no temp displayed means) up to 115.

My wife is calling the dealership today to get an appointment....again.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Fun fact: when your ambient temp, sensor is bad causing your interior heater to randomly blow cold air and you are driving in freezing rain, the windshield gets iced over, severely impeding your vision....luckily, the heater, just as randomly will start blowing hot again and provide a little window so you can see just enough to not die.

So my wife did get an appointment at the beginning of Feb., at which time they told us we needed an all-day appointment and they would call us as soon as they could to schedule it....two weeks later, my wife called again and no one knew anything. However, we now have an appointment for Monday with a replacement car provided.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

It's now at the dealership and my wife is driving a loaner Jeep Renegade.

I dearly hope that they are able to find the real problem. Keep as long as necessary...let's just make sure it's fixed right.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 06:31 PM

I've had the sensor replaced on mine and it still acts erratic. Sometimes it takes a long time for the temperature reading to reflect the true outside temperature. It also seems like there is a huge disconnect between what the temperature I set is and what the interior climate is. Sometimes I have to drop the temperature to a low number just to get some air. It seems you should be able to set it at a number and have the same result every time but that is not the case. Sometimes a setting of 70 feels like 80 with no air.

There are so many things about this vehicle that I like but a few that I would really like to have fixed properly.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Sounds very similar to mine. I don't know why it is programed the way it apparently is, but the ambient temperature errors seem to affect the interior climate control. It is well and thoroughly winter here (0 degrees F this morning). When we had the van (been in the shop a week today), one thing that would happen is that when the ambient temp was giving false readings of about -20 F or below (which was frequent), counterintuitively, the interior climate control would not output warm air (hence the windshield icing noted above).

If the temp registered above about -20 or had no reading at all, the interior temp seemed to work right.

I have no idea what the effect would be if I was trying to air condition as I bought the van in December and I probably will not need A/C for another 2 months. I surmise your problems stem from the same issue I am having, but you are trying to cool the interior, not heat it like I am.

When I get some answers, I will report back.

In the mean time, the loaner Renegade is a decent little vehicle, but I'd prefer the van back....and right.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

At long last, this saga may be drawing to a close. Two (2) weeks after dropping the van off (yesterday), we got a call that after running all of the diagnostics and getting Chrysler on the phone...and on the computer, they have discovered a corroded connection somewhere behind the bumper. They have ordered the part (a sub-harness, I would imagine). When they get it and install it, they will run all the tests and, fingers crossed, they will have solved it.

I am cautiously optimistic.

I appreciate the loaner Renegade, but if I had wanted a mini-Jeep, I would have bought a mini-Jeep.
SciTchr likes this.

Last edited by HoughMade; 03-12-2019 at 12:11 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page