Stop-Start Battery went bad - Page 7 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry17 View Post
Yes, but I wonder how much power it would need and if the alternator could deliver it, given @TomB985 's comment about relative sizes.

The Pacifica, like most modern cars, consumes a LOT of power even before the headlights come on, (and this is a possible design deficit) it may not have a strong enough alternator to cope with multiple slow, short trips, and the ESS charging load probably exacerbates that situation.

At least ESS shuts itself off when it detects a low battery. With almost instant starting thanks to fuel injection, we lost the clue of slow cranking that used to warn us when a main battery struggles.

I don't have ESS, but I can see that keeping lights, fans, radios, etc. going when the engine is off is not a trivial load. I also suspect that ESS batteries have a much deeper charge/discharge history than the main battery. And perhaps those deep discharges shorten the life. I know that when my van would not start with a flat battery (the only warning was the infotainment screen was dead all day -- the van started fine on several trips, and then would not even operate the sliding door the next morning) based on comments here I insisted on new battery. According to posts in the forums, a discharge that deep drastically cuts the life of the battery. I don't know if the ESS cuts out fast enough to prevent damage to the battery.

There is a constant stream of early battery replacement posts in these threads (including mine at about 20 months, and comments that Chrysler is not alone in this trend. Maybe those who monitor other brands can verify this.
As well, lead acid batteries have a maximum charge rate. You can only stuff electricity into them at a certain rate, and that rate tapers off quite sharply above 80% charge. My point being, it takes a fixed amount of time to charge up a battery regardless of how much power is available from the alternator. This may contribute to ESS not working well for folks that make lots of short trips. If the ESS battery needs to be at a high state of charge, you canít get it there during a 10 minute drive, for example.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:12 PM

I remember being frustrated with the system in my van during cold weather, as it did not like to engage much of the time he felt that it should. But one thing is warmed up, it got a lot better, so I just chalked up is a characteristic of the system. As of one week ago I no longer on the van, I can't really make any further comparisons as things warm-up.

My relationship my Pacifica was much of a love-hate relationship; when things are working it was the best van I've ever driven. Two failures that would have left me stranded soured my opinion on the van, and regular occurrences of minor glitches got to be little frustrating over the years around. I look at the ESS system as a source of some of those glitches. If Chrysler can get these bugs ironed out, they will have hit it out of the park with the design. It's a shame it takes them so much work when other manufacturers seem to get things right the first time around.

2019 Tesla Model 3

Former: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica
post #63 of 63 (permalink) Old Today, 11:14 AM

I brought my 2018 Gas Pacifica to the dealer yesterday. They had to charge, or attempt to charge the ESS battery then test it to determine if it was bad. my guess is a load test and it failed. BUT they don't have MOPAR batteries. So the tech said he had to try to get management to approve a different non OEM battery for replacement. It's a bit of a PITA but I do understand.

Now I would like data about how many of these batteries failed, what the actual cause of failure was. Was it poor manufacturing or poor design e.g. too small a capacity battery, or insufficient charger etc. There is also a recall about a bad ground ... could these be related?

PS the bad ground was a cable manufacturer having some insulating material/chemical on the connector.

2018 Pacifica Touring L
Bright White
Cognac/Alloy/Toffee interior
18 in Wheels
Overhead DVD
No matter where you go there you are!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page