Owners with ESS post here - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 87Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 225 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Owners with ESS post here

So Pacifica is getting the ESS (Engine Stop Start). If you have taken delivery of one please post your experience. So far I don't know if anyone hast taken delivery of a Pacifica with ESS yet.

2017 Pacifica Limited:
Velvet Red Pearl Paint
Black / Alloy Interior Color
8-Passenger Seating & 20-Inch Wheel Group
Advanced SafetyTec Group
Uconnect® Theater and Sound Group
Trailer Tow Group
Smart StopStart
Pedal Commander
3M paint protection with Ceramic coating
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 225 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

I've only seen one member report that they've received a Pacifica with ESS so far ( @nick ). I'm sure the floodgates will open with more reports soon.

2017 Pacifica Limited - Molten Silver/Mocha
8 Pax - Vac - SafetyTec - UConnect Theater & Sound
20" Wheels - Tow - KeySense - Splash Guards

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV GT
post #3 of 225 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 01:46 PM

I am glad that my Pacifica doesn't have this function.
CentralFla likes this.

post #4 of 225 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonwang View Post
I am glad that my Pacifica doesn't have this function.
I'm reserving judgement until I hear more reports from the field. If it's just like the Cherokee's ESS system, I'll be glad my Pacifica doesn't have it. If it's a little more refined, and does indeed save gas, I may be disappointed that I didn't end up with it. But I don't feel strongly enough either way that it would have swayed my purchasing decision.

post #5 of 225 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 12:02 AM

Adding nothing useful to the discussion, I've got a limited on order for about a month now. Got the window sticker a day or two ago and see that ESS is listed as being installed. Goes with an "auxiliary" battery, but no further info.
I know people driving BMWs with their version of it installed who were less than thrilled with it. OTOH, and much to my wife's dismay, I often turn off my car while sitting at some of our obscenely long lights. I may well revise my opinion when (if?) my new van arrives, but I'm kind of jazzed with the concept of ESS. Hope reality doesn't deflate too badly...

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts. - Daniel Patrick Moynihan
post #6 of 225 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 04:55 AM

Garage
I had post a few posts on the details of this system. I am curious to see if it is indeed Johnson Control's ESS system. They have regenerative braking that charges up a battery for aux use when stopped at a stop light This might be apart of that second battery. I also know that the ESS bypasses the starter and gives the car an electric start of sorts. I am tired, do not recall all the details, but it gives a quicker start. They also have an alternator that decouples when battery is done charging. I'll have to find those posts and put them here.

With that said, at first I was against this, but now that I have done my research, I am excited (like standing in line for Star Tours at Disneyland) to see how well it works. I ordered mine Feb. 2nd. with Quick order 27J (ESS).

Father of thing 1, thing 2, thing 3, thing 4 is getting a minivan.
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L Plus with Tow, Advance Safety, 8 passenger, Tire/wheel, and Nav.
*Ordered 1FEB and delivered 20MAR2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 225 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 10:49 AM

A sun roof and ESS were on my list of do not buy a car with those options. There were other options I did not need, but those two were show stoppers.
siuc261, wriggly and Cisco Arris like this.
post #8 of 225 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 12:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyboat View Post
A sun roof and ESS were on my list of do not buy a car with those options. There were other options I did not need, but those two were show stoppers.

There are plenty of pre ESS Pacifica's out there. 8 passenger (deletes sunroof, adds 20" rims) are available. There may also be a chance that you can still order "Quick package 25J" which is the non ESS engine. At least it showed up as an option to click when I was ordering mine.

Father of thing 1, thing 2, thing 3, thing 4 is getting a minivan.
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L Plus with Tow, Advance Safety, 8 passenger, Tire/wheel, and Nav.
*Ordered 1FEB and delivered 20MAR2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 225 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohawks1224 View Post
There are plenty of pre ESS Pacifica's out there. 8 passenger (deletes sunroof, adds 20" rims) are available. There may also be a chance that you can still order "Quick package 25J" which is the non ESS engine. At least it showed up as an option to click when I was ordering mine.
Or you can just get the ESS system and turn it off.

"The system, which can be shut off, works this way:

When the minivan stops, fuel flow is cut; higher-capacity batteries maintain in-cabin systems.
When the brake pedal is released, the engine restarts and the transmission is engaged." 2017 Chrysler Pacifica minivans: Hybrid and gasoline engine and transmission
post #10 of 225 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsnor View Post
Or you can just get the ESS system and turn it off.
But if you really don't want it to function at all, you'll have to turn it off every time you get in the car.
Gohawks1224 and Cisco Arris like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page