Replace Side Mirror Help - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Replace Side Mirror Help

So I made a big oops. I don't recall moving the steering wheel when parking and i went to back straight out of my garage. The backup alarm dinged. I stopped, but when I did, the alarm had stopped. My backup cam showed clear space behind me. I started again. My passenger mirror bent backwards on the garage (folded out the wrong way). The electronics all work. It moves up/down/left/right and the blind side sensor works. I assume the warming does too. But the assembly is cracked and the mirror is looser than it should be. I know this one works (for now). I'm tempted to try a cheap (with many stars) mirror from Amazon just to see if it works and save hundreds of dollars. But I can't find directions on how to replace a mirror for any model of Pacifica. I have a Touring L-Plus. Anyone have directions/YouTube video for how to change mirrors?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 11:42 PM

Are you ultimately planning to buy and replace the entire mirror assembly of the required color?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0486.jpg (171.6 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0487.jpg (140.9 KB, 64 views)

Brett
2017 Gas Pacifica Limited, Vel Red/Black/Alloy
Tow, Vac, Adv SafetyTec, UConnect Theater, 18" Wheels
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 07:34 AM

The mirror itself cracked? If you have the blind spot monitoring you need the exact mirror.

Damon
1985 Dodge Caravan LE cream w/wood
1985 Dodge Caravan LE mink brown w/wood
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited in Tusk White
several other cars

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 01:52 PM

Garage
Wait a sec. Sorry to threadjack, but do you guys think it would be easy for me to install the power folding mirrors on my hybrid? ...or would there be some wiring and buttons missing? It's one option I wish they had included with my tight garage and scarred side view mirrors. I'm not sure what it looks like in the Pacificas that have it or how it works.

* Geez guys, finish your location and signature w model!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DRIVING - 17 Pacifica Hybrid Platinum CDN Granite Grey, Chargepoint EVSE & 240V OEM, Full WeatherTech Sunroof Deflector + Mats, Front MOPAR Mudflaps, Winter RWC 17" + MOPAR TPMS + Michelin Xi2
SOLD - 08 Honda Odyssey Touring White no PAX
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 01:55 PM

Do the Pacifica's mirrors not fold backwards if forced? Two of my cars have folding mirrors and will fold in the opposite way if you push them rather than cracking/breaking.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 09:44 PM

Me too, I wish mine comes with power folding mirrors.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gory View Post
...Sorry to threadjack, but do you guys think it would be easy for me to install the power folding mirrors on my hybrid?
Yes, I think it would be easy. I haven't looked specifically at a Pacifica folding mirror purchased from Ebay but over the years I've purchased several OEM folding mirror replacements and installed them on several cars including my 2013 Genesis Coupe daily driver. For some reason Genesis Coupe did not sell in the US with folding mirrors, but the ones in South Korea did, so I just purchased a perfectly color matched pair off the Internet. In 2013 the Genesis mirrors came with the same simple internal wiring I've seen on all folding mirrors for the past 30 years. Internally they contain a very small D.C. motor, two limit switches and two diodes (one diode per limit switch). The motor and switches are wired in series so only two wires come out to hook up.
To test, simply hook one arbitrary motor wire to vehicle battery positive and the other wire to battery negative (or chassis ground) and the mirror will fold all the way in one direction until it reaches its range limit where the associated internal limit switch opens stopping current flow. Flip the two wires at the battery and the motor turns in the other direction until it reaches the other internal limit switch which opens stopping current flow once again. If Pacifica folding mirrors work like folding mirrors have for the past 30 years, all you need to do is wire in a DPDT switch or DPDT automotive relay that mimics what you did swapping the two wires at the battery (plus you'll add a fuse, of course).
For your hybrid a big issue might be buying a folding mirror from EBay color matched to your Pacifica. If you are mechanically handy just swap the painted housings.
You could precisely duplicate the original Pacifica door switch and door switch wiring but then you'll get into computers and CAN bus which means the function may (likely will) have to be enabled in the Pacifica body computer. The dealer service department may refuse to enable it or may not be able to do so because your VIN number is not one for a Pacifica purchased with folding mirrors.
gory and tomsaffell like this.

Brett

Last edited by BrettP; 03-17-2017 at 01:20 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 09:55 PM

Garage
TRANSLATION: No.

HA! Thanks. I think you've got it all, but I also think it's going to be a lot of work then to open up interior panels to run wiring to an aftermarket switch. I was hoping the wiring would already be there and the computer might pick it up automatically, but both seem like a no. I thought it might be a switch icon on the touch screen. Thanks for the detailed answer.

* Geez guys, finish your location and signature w model!

DRIVING - 17 Pacifica Hybrid Platinum CDN Granite Grey, Chargepoint EVSE & 240V OEM, Full WeatherTech Sunroof Deflector + Mats, Front MOPAR Mudflaps, Winter RWC 17" + MOPAR TPMS + Michelin Xi2
SOLD - 08 Honda Odyssey Touring White no PAX
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:01 PM

I probably made it sound harder than it really is, haha. To prove a point, I once wrote a procedure for brushing ones teeth using the requirements and style guide where I work and the procedure was about two pages long and required that you count the bristles each morning.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the wiring is already there for an all OEM upgrade and as you say it is possible that the computer might just pick it up with being reconfigured. The service manual CD doesn't say very much about the folding mirrors but I did see somewhere that the passenger sides learns that the driver's side is folding by way of CAN bus so a lot can be read into that statement. If you decide to ask the same question at your dealer be sure to let us know what they say. If it can be done even at a high cost, some might be willing to pay the price especially if they have single width garage doors.

Brett

Last edited by BrettP; 03-17-2017 at 11:18 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 12:06 PM

To give you some cost comparisons, my wife was messing with getting a movie playing for the kids and rammed her side view mirror into our mailbox driving forward. it cracked the mirror and separated the housing. The OEM mirror was about $250. Our local body shop quoted us $50 of labor for the install, the dealership wanted $200. It was a pretty easy install it seemed just the outer housing and the mirror itself. All the electronics still worked (heat, blind spot, power mirror) so I don't know what that would have changed if any of them were busted.

Apparently even with the fold back mirror going only a slow speed is enough to crack the mirror and the plastic.

So if you already have the part maybe a body shop would slap it on cheap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page