Bug Deflector - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Bug Deflector

Has anyone tried the Mopar bug deflector? I was just looking at the installation instructions, and I don't love how it's held on with metal clips that go around the lip of the hood. Then the deflector is screwed to the clips from the top, and the screw heads are visible. Other deflectors I've used have plastic that extends all the way around the lip of the hood and are bolted or clipped in underneath.

Here are the instructions I'm looking at --> https://mopar.chromedata.com/RichCon...R/K6862357.pdf

2017 Pacifica Limited - Molten Silver/Mocha
8 Pax - Vac - SafetyTec - UConnect Theater & Sound
20" Wheels - Tow - KeySense - Splash Guards

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 01:44 PM

Beware of any exterior adornments if you have a strong fondness for the fuel economy.

Things like mudguards, bug deflectors, rain guards, etc. will change the aerodynamics of the vehicle. One item may not see your wallet shrink a lot, but if you add a couple/all of those as well as any OTHER external mods, you run the risk of shaving a few MPG off your vehicle.

If you are fine with lower MPG and are MORE irritated by bug-guts on the glass and nose, then the decision is clear. Deflect-AWAY!!!

citanic likes this.

"I'll procrastinate later..."
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 03:58 PM

I am waiting to see what AVS comes out with for the bugdeflector.....I do not like the one from mopar at all.

Damon
1985 Dodge Caravan LE cream w/wood
1985 Dodge Caravan LE mink brown w/wood
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited in Tusk White
several other cars

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 03:45 PM

After having to replace my windshield on my old Jeep Commander 3 times one winter, the bug deflector was my only option to avoid another cracked windshield. Here in New England, when the state runs out of the expensive sand mix to melt the snow, roads are treated with rock salt. These bug deflectors DOES make a difference...
Thundering Banshee likes this.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I got around to installing the Mopar bug deflector yesterday. As expected, I don't love it but it's the only option at the moment. It's low profile, which is nice, but it doesn't extend past the hood at all on either side. It's good enough for now, but I may switch to another option when more become available.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3852.JPG (670.1 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3854.jpg (180.0 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3851.jpg (147.2 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3849.jpg (107.0 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3848.jpg (117.7 KB, 150 views)

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 08:28 AM

I have always had either a bra or bug deflector on most of my vehicles and I know that buying the Pacifica early like I have done (first year) that the aftermarket items would take some time. I put on quite a few miles on my daily drivers and after 5 weeks of buying my Pacifica it now has 3200 on the odo. Last Sat coming back from a run to Houston I got my first rock chip (UHG) , even though I had it repaired already I want to avoid more as my windshield is 1074.00 as it has all the sensors. My 2014 TC I only used the bra for long trips and when I sold it after 22 months it had 7 rock chip repairs on that windshield.

AVS still has not come up with the bug / stone guard and I like others am not to kein on the mopar one. Really cause I am afraid it will move around, flop etc at 85 mph.

I have a XPEL clear bra on the van for all the frontal and hood protection, but I need a deflector for the windshield. Still debating..........wait or spend 162.00 on a mopar one that I don't like the design.

GENERALTSO, do you think that deflector with divert and deflect or does it have movement at high speed?

Damon
several other cars

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 08:35 AM

After looking at those pics, it doesn't look to have an edge that is contoured up to deflect the air up and over the windshield like the generic image below of a hood deflector???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hood-protector-installation-diagram.jpg (14.6 KB, 52 views)
Gohawks1224 likes this.

Damon
several other cars

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damoncaravanman View Post
GENERALTSO, do you think that deflector with divert and deflect or does it have movement at high speed?
No movement. It's actually pretty solid. It's pretty low profile though, so it's hard to tell how much air deflection it really does. I know AVS ones that I've had for other cars sweep up a bit on the trailing edge, but this one doesn't. I also don't like how there are exposed screw heads on the front of it. You don't really notice them as long as they stay black. But if the paint starts to come off them, they'll be very noticeable.

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 08:39 AM

I also have the Mopar bug shield on my van and can attest that it's on there pretty solidly and haven't noticed any movement at highway speeds. I wish it had an upward curve on the top of it to help direct air over the hood/windshield, but other than the the quality seems pretty good and the fit is nice.
Thundering Banshee likes this.

2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damoncaravanman View Post
After looking at those pics, it doesn't look to have an edge that is contoured up to deflect the air up and over the windshield like the generic image below of a hood deflector???
Correct, it does not. I wish I had a wind tunnel available to see if it is actually doing anything!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in