Mirrors...who's the rocket scientist? - Page 3 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid777 View Post
It does have the chrome caps with the blinker. My guess/hope is that its just the wrong panel . Let see. Thanks for all the help.

Regards
What was the conclusion of this?

Damon
1985 Dodge Caravan LE cream w/wood
1985 Dodge Caravan LE mink brown w/wood
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited in Tusk White
several other cars

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 07:21 PM

Shoulda been cameras.

Loudoun,
I had to chuckle and reply to your post. I agree. Side mirrors should have been on their way out long ago.
I just became a PacHy Limited owner and they do not have folding mirrors either.
The side mirrors are a source of turbulence for noise, stick out too far and should have been replaced with gas purged cameras that do not stick out at all. If combined with small, ambient light adjusting monitors on either side of the driver, a much safer field of view would be possible. I was working on this for my Toyota Previas when one of them had a deer encounter last month prompting our PacHy purchase... first new car for us in 22 years.
Seriously, I am a retired propulsion and robotics engineer (35yr) for NASA Johnson Space Center. Among many other things, I developed optics purging for cameras that we stuck up in rocket engines while flowing water thru the injectors and know a thing or two about keeping cameras' FOV clear. It would be a simple task to make a reliability 1 camera for side view mirrors, operable in any weather.

It's NOT Rocket Science!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 PacHy Limited
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drocketman View Post
I just became a PacHy Limited owner and they do not have folding mirrors either.
I just became a PacHy Limited owner and mine does have folding mirrors, they added them for 2019. I haven't needed them yet, though.

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 10:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drocketman View Post
Loudoun,
I had to chuckle and reply to your post. I agree. Side mirrors should have been on their way out long ago.
The side mirrors are a source of turbulence for noise, stick out too far and should have been replaced with gas purged cameras that do not stick out at all. If combined with small, ambient light adjusting monitors on either side of the driver, a much safer field of view would be possible. I was working on this for my Toyota Previas when one of them had a deer encounter last month prompting our PacHy purchase... first new car for us in 22 years.
Seriously, I am a retired propulsion and robotics engineer (35yr) for NASA Johnson Space Center. Among many other things, I developed optics purging for cameras that we stuck up in rocket engines while flowing water thru the injectors and know a thing or two about keeping cameras' FOV clear. It would be a simple task to make a reliability 1 camera for side view mirrors, operable in any weather.
How much did your cameras cost?
Cars are heavily regulated and the government doesn't move at the same pace as a technology. Side mirrors are mandated. Your colleague Elon demoed the Tesla truck without the mirrors, but had to install them for the highway testing.

*** 2019 Hybrid Limited ***

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page