Mirrors...who's the rocket scientist? - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Mirrors...who's the rocket scientist?

Just took delivery.... Who is the rocket scientist who designed the mirrors to stick out so far? I have 8' opening garage doors, there is about 1/2" clearance on each side. No room for error.
They should have designed the mirrors top fold back at the touch of a button! supposed to be the "most advanced minivan?
Shouldn't lay claim to that if the wife is scared to drive the van in the garage for fear of damage.

Just imagine: blinding rain or snow/ice storm.....do you really want to open your windows and manually fold back the mirrors? How do you reach the passenger mirror?

Where's the "safety" and thoughtfulness of purpose supposedly designed into this vehicle?

Last edited by loudoun; 08-31-2016 at 07:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 07:47 AM

Hi Loudoun, welcome to the forum.

Some Pacifica models have power folding mirrors (see thumbnail). I never use mine but it's there.

My other car, a 2013 Genisis Coupe didn't have have power folding mirrors but the wiring was in place so I bought them as repair parts along with the switch. It was an easy "drop in" installation and, of course, looks 100% OEM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (211.0 KB, 174 views)

Brett
2017 Gas Pacifica Limited, Vel Red/Black/Alloy
Tow, Vac, Adv SafetyTec, UConnect Theater, 18" Wheels

Last edited by BrettP; 08-31-2016 at 07:55 AM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 08:45 AM

Looks like the power folding mirrors are standard on the Limited.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 08:52 AM

Some of these "power" things can be a pain in themselves. I had power mirrors on my Avalanche. I rarely used them since we didn't normally park it in the garage, but one day going through a car wash I tried to retract them and the one on the driver's side whirred but went nowhere. Turns out that one little plastic gear broke and I needed to replace the whole unit. (around $300 before labor) I had the same problem with retractable third-row seats on an SUV we had. A plastic gear broke and I couldn't just replace the gear, I couldn't replace the drive motor either, I had to take the seat out and replace the whole drive assembly. I left the mirror be, but the seat debacle ran me some $250 and about six hours to replace it.

I'm happier without these power things that I rarely would use. Now power doors and lift gates, that's why I bought what we did and I think they're built to last longer because of the amount of use they get and the load they drive when they're used.

Don (ezdays) Day
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 08:59 AM

I use the power folding mirrors on my Limited when parked in lots or street parking. It would have been nice, if they had given an option in the Control Center, to have them fold automatically when putting the transmission into Park.

BRLowry

Pacifica Limited, Bright White/Black/Mocha,
Tow, Vac, SafetyTec, UConnect Theater, 18" Wheels
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudoun View Post
Just took delivery.... Who is the rocket scientist who designed the mirrors to stick out so far? I have 8' opening garage doors, there is about 1/2" clearance on each side. No room for error.
They should have designed the mirrors top fold back at the touch of a button! supposed to be the "most advanced minivan?
Shouldn't lay claim to that if the wife is scared to drive the van in the garage for fear of damage.

Just imagine: blinding rain or snow/ice storm.....do you really want to open your windows and manually fold back the mirrors? How do you reach the passenger mirror?

Where's the "safety" and thoughtfulness of purpose supposedly designed into this vehicle?

The model comparison tool on Chrysler Official Site - Cars and Minivans shows that the power folding mirrors are only available on the Limited. Hopefully you weren't under the assumption that they are included...an easy search on the Chrysler website or a brochure would have taken all of the surprises out of the purchase. I PERSONALLY (meaning my subjective opinion) believe that your complaint about safety/convenience is without merit since Chrysler didn't mislead you in any way because the information is both in the brochure and in the online comparison tool. It seems like people would just rather pass their mistakes on to someone else these days than take ownership of them. I'm sure my response is going to anger you but I'm just calling it the way I see it. I've added a pic for your perusal.
Attached Images
File Type: png model comparison tool Pacifica.PNG (109.3 KB, 49 views)
Gohawks1224 likes this.

2017 PACIFICA LIMITED GRANITE CRYSTAL METALLIC, BLACK ALLOY, SAFETY TEC, UCONNECT THEATER/SOUND, 20" WHEELS. DELIVERED 09/12/16.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 09:18 AM

Here's the overall width of the Pacifica = 6' 7.6". That is 0.9" wider than outgoing Chrysler Town and county. We gained some internal room with the additional 0.9" width (0.6" of Hip), so it wasn't all the mirrors adding to width.

And yes the Limited comes standard with Power Folding mirrors. I don't think it's even an option on other trim levels.

Here is size spec's on each: Note: We lost 0.5" of ground clearance (se we can hit more curbs).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017 Pacifica.jpg (85.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 2016 T+C.jpg (87.1 KB, 30 views)

Life is one decision after another - Man up!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLowry View Post
I use the power folding mirrors on my Limited when parked in lots or street parking. It would have been nice, if they had given an option in the Control Center, to have them fold automatically when putting the transmission into Park.
I wonder if there is a site for suggested enhancements that Chrysler will monitor. It's never the big things, just the little ones that annoy.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLowry View Post
I would prefer when locked vs park.
gory likes this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 11:31 PM

I had them on my 14 Town and Country and folded them every time I got out of the car, habit, they went back out as soon as I drove off. My 17 Pacifica will have them as well.

Damon
1985 Dodge Caravan LE cream w/wood
1985 Dodge Caravan LE mink brown w/wood
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited in Tusk White
several other cars

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page