DIY Running Boards - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

DIY Running Boards

I tried unsuccessfully installing running boards (no sensors) and had to stop myself because I was on the verge of breaking the original panel.
I felt the panel popping out in most spots, but in the middle of the drivers door area and at the rear on the very top, it wasn't letting go and it seems that a considerable amount of force would have surely broken something.

I was hoping that someone who might have taken on this task could give a quick synopsis of the job, that would be greatly appreciated!!

Do I actually have to break the original panel, or parts of it? I noticed the instructions (if you want to call them that) calls for a rivet gun?

Or there other things to look out for? Once I get the panel off, I'm sure there will be other issues........

Any info would be most helpful!!

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 08:42 PM

Garage
The retaining clips can be difficult to release. I suggest using a nylon pry tool to prevent damaging paint. Getting the old panels off was indeed the hardest part of the entire job, though it is certainly not neccessary to break the panels to remove them. The "rivet gun" you mention is actually slightly different from a regular Pop rivet gun. Its called a blind rivet nut gun. I bought one off amazon for this job. I "squeezes " in the three captive nuts on each side.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2017 Bright white Limited
Black/alloy, advanced safety pack,
U-connect theater. Tri-pane roof. Verde Invictus 22"
Quite a few custom modifications and lots more to come .
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 10:08 AM

Garage
If you search this forum, there are some helpful hints for performing this task.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, FI....................that information is most helpful!!!! I'll give it another shot........
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer172 View Post
I tried unsuccessfully installing running boards (no sensors) and had to stop myself because I was on the verge of breaking the original panel.
I felt the panel popping out in most spots, but in the middle of the drivers door area and at the rear on the very top, it wasn't letting go and it seems that a considerable amount of force would have surely broken something.

I was hoping that someone who might have taken on this task could give a quick synopsis of the job, that would be greatly appreciated!!

Do I actually have to break the original panel, or parts of it? I noticed the instructions (if you want to call them that) calls for a rivet gun?

Or there other things to look out for? Once I get the panel off, I'm sure there will be other issues........

Any info would be most helpful!!

Thank you!
Let me interject my own opinion.....

I have always put running boards on all my Chrysler vans and those later year models 2008 on up, you do remove the rocker panel covers, I saved every one of those, stuck them in storage......that would be the last 5 vans, then I realized when I had the boards installed on my Pacifica and went to put them in storage (long big box).......why am I saving them??? Not like I took the running boards off when I traded or sold my previous vans. So, who cares if you break the clip off the original rocker panel......BTW anyone need some rocker panel covers for the 2008 to 2016 Chrysler Town and Country minivans, I have 2 sets in Stone White, 1 set in gold, 1 set in cashmere and 1 set for the 2017 Pacifica in Tusk white paint code PW2.

Damon
1985 Dodge Caravan LE cream w/wood
1985 Dodge Caravan LE mink brown w/wood
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited in Tusk White
several other cars

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
running boards

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page