Armrest height - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Armrest height

I wish Chrysler would have put adjustable armrests in the Pacifica. I find the armrests are way to low. So I decided to see what could be done. Here's what I found.

1) Take a small screwdriver and pop off the round plastic armrest cover at its pivot point. Below the cover you'll find a Torx bolt "T45" tip size.
2) Unscrew the shoulder bolt and the armrest will come off.
3) There is a fixture with a protrusion and tapped hole fixed to the seat (see picture of seat without arm attached). The protrusion stops the travel of the armrest by limiting the mating semi-circular channel in the armrest (the protrusion fits into channel).
4) By building up the inside of the channel (on the end that meets the protrusion when the armrest is in the down position) you can "adjust" its stopping position. This will "raise" the armrest.

I chose to use a 5/16" PVC fuel line that I cut in half. (see pictures). It adjusted the arm height to better fit my 6' 5" body. My wife (whose 5' 4") also prefers the raised armrest.

Maybe this info can help someone who also finds their armrest height to be to low.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seat.jpg (263.0 KB, 382 views)
File Type: jpg with pvc1.jpg (354.9 KB, 389 views)
File Type: jpg with pvc.jpg (327.9 KB, 395 views)

Life is one decision after another - Man up!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 12:26 PM

Did you have and problems reinstalling the armrest?
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 02:08 PM

Now that's the kind of post I like to see in a forum! Thanks Pappa60, I'm going to do likewise this afternoon.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificCoast View Post
Did you have and problems reinstalling the armrest?
No problems whatsoever. Just a matter of aligning up the bolt with hole and screwing the shoulder bolt back in. Easy-peasy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 04:28 PM

Great post and thanks for the idea. Are you going to do the 2nd row seats as well?

How much does this actually raise the armrest and will that piece stay of fuel line stay in place after multiple back and forth movements or bumpy roads/vibration etc?
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue003 View Post
Great post and thanks for the idea. Are you going to do the 2nd row seats as well?

How much does this actually raise the armrest and will that piece stay of fuel line stay in place after multiple back and forth movements or bumpy roads/vibration etc?
A couple of great questions.

1) Though I didn't actually measure it (went by "what felt good"), I'd say it raised the "tip" end by 1.5" (I just confirmed with CAD Drawing). Anyways, I can now comfortably reach the steering wheel resting my arm on armrest. i.e. The way you should!

2) If you look at the one of the attached pictures (original post) you'll see a "bead" of clear glue to hold in place. However, before I cut the tube in half I tried it as a whole diameter (see picture attached). When it was a whole diameter it stayed in place w/o glue (curved arc stopped it from falling over). After a few days I realized it made the armrest too high, so I cut it in half.

This is literally just a 20 minute job to do 2 armrests for front seats. No I haven't done the two middle seats yet (4 armrests). They do have the same issue (to low) as front armrests did. Think I'll wait for cooler weather to do them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg round.jpg (328.6 KB, 175 views)

Last edited by Pappa60; 07-24-2016 at 05:11 PM.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 12:43 AM

Awesome post, I'm in the same boat, that's the one thing he Honda did better was the adjustable armrests. I might have to try this fix too.

Thanks again.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 07:31 AM

I was thinking about this a little more.... Couldnt you also adjust/tilt the seat back slightly to achieve the same result?
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue003 View Post
I was thinking about this a little more.... Couldnt you also adjust/tilt the seat back slightly to achieve the same result?
They do not raise up the same way when tilting seat back (like adjustable armrests do).
Since the armrests are tied to the seatback, when you recline the seat the armrest do raise up a little, but they also move away from steering wheel at the same time. The pivot point of the seat back is in a completely different position than the armrest pivot point.

I other words I found it didn't help (wasn't comfortable).

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 05:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappa60 View Post
I wish Chrysler would have put adjustable armrests in the Pacifica. I find the armrests are way to low. So I decided to see what could be done. Here's what I found.
(snip)
Maybe this info can help someone who also finds their armrest height to be to low.
Did as recommended using some 1/2" ID by 5/8" OD vinyl tubing, complete section, no glue. Worked perfect, THANK YOU

Lov'in my Touring-L Plus
Tow package w/ 18" wheels
Safety Tech, Key Sense
Hands free side doors & tailgate
Built Oct 2016

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page