Must "Park" to open side doors - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2016, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Must "Park" to open side doors

Just realized today that you must put the vehicle fully in Park in order to operate the side sliding doors. Looked for a setting to override this and found none. Rather annoying when it's only responsible adults in the vehicle.

Example today... busy front area in front of a hospital... wanted to quickly let my sister out at the front door as there was a long line of cars waiting to queue-up to the door. Pull in front, stop, hit the door-open button... nothing. hit it over and over... she starts pressing it... nothing.

Realized after about 10-seconds I need to put it in park first... THEN she can open the door.
I would prefer this to be an option in the Uconnect settings to disable when we are literally just looking to pull-up, passenger jump-out, close door and pull-away.

Not a MAJOR issue, but seems a bit TOO "protective".

"I'll procrastinate later..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2016, 05:45 PM

Our 2008 Nissan Quest is the same, including rear gate. I suppose the thought was concern for accidentally pushing the button while driving (little kids, etc) or front passengers searching for the sunroof button who might open the door . . . ("Oh - sorry kids - I'll turn around and come back to get you!")
Old 08-10-2016, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

I understand disabling while the vehicle is in motion... But when it is fully-stopped, I would think giving the driver's roof-top switches the authority to open the doors would be beneficial.

Again, It is FAR from a "real problem". Now that I KNOW how it works, I can adapt. I just wish there was a way to override it.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:44 PM

My current sienna works the same way
Old 08-10-2016, 10:28 PM

You can thank the dummy's who can't take accountability for their own actions such as not putting their car in park, and not setting the parking brake when they try to get out and it rolls on them. Why be responsible when you can blame somebody else? Right?
...steps off soap box...
But you can bet somewhere back in the day, before they had the interlock, somebody opened a door while moving and had some sort of accident. So now we all get the interlock.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:53 AM

This is an odd behavior. My Odyssey would operate the side doors with the vehicle stopped and still in drive. I think it was added to their 2011+ years.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:06 PM

After so many freak accidents in recent years plus Anton Yelchin's death last June, I think the trend will be to add even more safety steps and safety interlocks to protect us from ourselves.

Brett
2017 Gas Pacifica Limited, Vel Red/Black/Alloy
Tow, Vac, Adv SafetyTec, UConnect Theater, 18" Wheels
Old 08-22-2016, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

I guess... I just start to wonder where the "gray area" stops... at what point is it becoming a nanny state of things...?

Similarly, when I am going through the car wash in Neutral and I get to the end of the tunnel after the blowers, normally, one would just click their gear-shifter down one notch into Drive and pull away.

With THIS selector, you cannot just rotate the dial from Neutral to Drive... you MUST touch the brake pedal (even if just slightly) to turn the knob into Drive. It's an awkward added step that feels (to me) like an inconvenient overcompensation for the actions of an extremely rare few.

That is based on having DECADES of driving experience behind me though... it might be perfectly acceptable and become "normal" to newer drivers and future drivers. If it saves even ONE life, then it was OBVIOUSLY worth the inconvenience.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:06 PM

What happens once you have the side door open, then try to drive away? I think on our T&C we got a warning gong but that's all, I haven't tried it on our Pacifica yet....
Old 08-22-2016, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezdays View Post
What happens once you have the side door open, then try to drive away? I think on our T&C we got a warning gong but that's all, I haven't tried it on our Pacifica yet....
It starts shutting the door once I try putting it back into "Drive"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in