Heated Steering Wheel Could Be Improved... - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
DRZ

Heated Steering Wheel Could Be Improved...

This is my 1st Winter with my Pacifica and the weather just started getting a little colder here in Buffalo, NY. The heated steering wheel is an option that I really like and I've had it as an option on all of my cars for at least the last ten years, including my previous (2) Chrysler T&C's. The colder the weather progressively gets throughout the Winter, the more I appreciate that option, especially when it senses the outside temp being below freezing and automatically turns on and preheats when using the remote start.

During the last week, we've had sustained temps hovering below or around the freezing mark and I've noticed that even with the heated steering wheel option engaged, the wheel has a metal trim ring that stays cold for quite a while. It's like having a 1/4" sliver of ice radiating cold from the center of the wheel... I'm sure that on a longer trip it would warm up, but for the short 15-20 minute trips, it never allows the wheel to feel as warm as all the other heated steering wheels that I've had in the past.

Not a huge deal for me, but on future Pacifica models, if given the choice, I would gladly trade-off the fancy metal trim ring on the steering wheel for a plain leather one that gets warm quicker.

CHRYSLER PACIFICA LIMITED
Exterior Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat Exterior
Interior Color: Black / Diesel Interior Colors
Engine: 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine with ESS,
Customer Preferred Package 27P, Uconnect® Theater w/
20-Speaker Harman Kardon Sound Goup,
Advanced SafetyTec Group, KeySense, 20" Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 09:47 PM

the ring never gets warm. It is a bad design. It looks good but functions badly. I would gladly do without the metal trim to have a fully warm steering wheel.
BrettP, Inga and konnerbllb like this.

2019 Pacifica Limited - Luxury White. Alloy/Black

Previous:
2005, 2008, 2015 Odyssey,
2017 Pacifica Limited - Tusk/Mocha
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificaJohn View Post
the ring never gets warm. It is a bad design. It looks good but functions badly. I would gladly do without the metal trim to have a fully warm steering wheel.
This is essentially what the Touring L Plus has. You would likely lose the two-tone color, but you should look into swapping with a heated wheel out of a Touring L Plus if the ring bothers you that badly.

- 2017 Pacifica Touring-L Plus - Jazz Blue, Advanced SafetyTec, Uconnect 8.4N, KeySense
- Ordered 5/31/16, Current status: KZL as of 6/28/16, Arrived at dealer 7/6/16, Purchased 7/11/16

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Yup, the cold metal ring has been one of the pet peeves that a lot us have been complaining about for a while. They should really change the design, but even if they do, that won't help current owners.
DRZ likes this.

2017 Pacifica Limited - Molten Silver/Mocha
8 Pax - Vac - SafetyTec - UConnect Theater & Sound
20" Wheels - Tow - KeySense - Splash Guards

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV GT
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel9478 View Post
This is essentially what the Touring L Plus has. You would likely lose the two-tone color, but you should look into swapping with a heated wheel out of a Touring L Plus if the ring bothers you that badly.
I have a touring L plus and it has metal cold spots on the wheel as well.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmax1 View Post
I have a touring L plus and it has metal cold spots on the wheel as well.
The switches on the wheel are metal and can be cold, yes, but it doesn't have the metal ring around the entire outside edge of the wheel like the Limited trim does.

- 2017 Pacifica Touring-L Plus - Jazz Blue, Advanced SafetyTec, Uconnect 8.4N, KeySense
- Ordered 5/31/16, Current status: KZL as of 6/28/16, Arrived at dealer 7/6/16, Purchased 7/11/16
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 06:36 PM

IMO - The ice cold metal ring is so uncomfortable next to the heated part that it completely negates any value in having a heated wheel. That metal ring needs to be removed in future Pacificas. I generally love all the well executed design features in the Pacifica but this particular one is a minor fail to me. I don't even turn it on anymore.
konnerbllb and DRZ like this.

Brett
2017 Gas Pacifica Limited, Vel Red/Black/Alloy
Tow, Vac, Adv SafetyTec, UConnect Theater, 18" Wheels

Last edited by BrettP; 11-14-2017 at 11:10 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 08:10 PM

Here's another vote. The metal ring is a face-palm-level design miss. It's hard to understand how it got past a basic design review, especially when the designers work in the deep freeze in Michigan. I could see it if California or Florida (or Italian) designers made this mistake, but I'm going to guess that at least several engineers (and hopefully a designer or two) in Detroit noticed the issue before it went to press, but got overridden by a suit with a weak grasp on design fundamentals and--well--thermodynamics.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 08:20 PM

I haven’t experienced it myself yet but recall reading someone mention that the ring also can get blazingly hot when the sun is shining on it on a hot day. So fail both ways.

Wonder how hard it is to swap a steering wheel

2018 Pacifica Limited (gas) - Oct. 2017 build
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 07:28 AM

What if you vinyl wrapped that ring around the steering wheel? Would that reduce the level of cold/chill it would have?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page