What is this box, and how should it be attached under my passenger seat? - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

What is this box, and how should it be attached under my passenger seat?

First of all, the plate is under there while we wait for a bracket. Second, I was poking around under there today and I found this module just laying on the floor. Plugged in, but just laying there. I didn't spend too much time under there after this discovery, but it didn't seem obvious where this was supposed to go. Suggestions?

2017 Touring L (Gas) - June 14, 2016 Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 08:24 AM

Garage
I looked and found that mine is stuffed with connectors under the front seat from the front view. I can't possibly see the specific module, but perhaps you can tell it's location and orientation by the color of the connector compared to my photo. I know that is reportedly the location of the video module, but don't have a clue as to what it would look like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6417.jpg (59.5 KB, 78 views)
BrettP likes this.

2017 Pacifica Limited
Red, Fully Loaded 8-Passenger
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 08:43 AM

Do you have Uconnect Theater? On my Limited the only electrical box under the front passenger seat is the VRM (Video Router Module) and it coordinates all the audio/video between the DVD player, HDMI plugs on the back of the seats, the LCD monitors on the seatbacks and a channel to the radio so you can see what is playing back on the kid’s screens.

There’s a curved bracket under my VRM box that mounts it to the floor.

Revision: Looked again and now see two more electrical boxes mounted up under the power seat. They look like they were manufactured as part of the seat. One is long and right along the front of the seat bottom and another is tucked up higher under some wiring and hard to see behind the connectors. Probably controller for power seat and maybe other is the controller for heated/ventilated seat.

Brett
2017 Gas Pacifica Limited, Vel Red/Black/Alloy
Tow, Vac, Adv SafetyTec, UConnect Theater, 18" Wheels
Oil: Five quarts

Last edited by BrettP; 08-25-2018 at 12:28 PM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 08:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettP View Post
Do you have Uconnect Theater? On my Limited the only electrical box under the front passenger seat is the VRM (Video Router Module) and it coordinates all the audio/video between the DVD player, HDMI plugs on the back of the seats, the LCD monitors on the seatbacks and a channel to the radio so you can see what is playing back on the kidís screens.

Thereís a curved bracket under my box that mounts it to the floor.
maybe you could post a picture?

2017 Pacifica
Touring L
Billet Silver
Package 27L
mfr. 5-17
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 09:23 AM

These pictures were taken from the front of the seat...

Looking down at floor is the VRM and the bracket holding it to the floor. The label has VRM on it.

Looking upward is the long, easy to see, box along front edge of seat.
Up and behind the large yellow and white connectors is another box that appears to be the size of a deck of playing cards. You can only see part of the label in this picture but this box most closely resembles the box @Jimal posted.

On my iPad the thumbnails look upside down but when I click on them to enlarge then up is up. On Chrome browser they are upside down. Sorry if you have to rotate but white and yellow electrical connectors are "up" and part of the seat underside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 83797D3D-20BF-4E5B-B221-AE4D972525FE.jpeg (85.1 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpeg A91E5F82-1331-4BCD-9079-2E41C83863D6.jpeg (74.2 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpeg 2674FA6E-7DE9-4D85-8F2B-19563ECAC27D.jpeg (78.6 KB, 109 views)
Longtimemopar likes this.

Brett

Last edited by BrettP; 08-25-2018 at 12:22 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettP View Post
These pictures were taken from the front of the seat...

Looking down at floor is the VRM and the bracket holding it to the floor. The label has VRM on it.

Looking upward is the long, easy to see, box along front edge of seat.
Up and behind the large yellow and white connectors is another box that appears to be the size of a deck of playing cards. You can only see part of the label in this picture but this box most closely resembles the box @Jimal posted.

On my iPad the thumbnails look upside down but when I click on them to enlarge then up is up.
The box in the third picture that says Continental appears to be the same one. Big OOPS! to the service department.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited Billet Silver, AST, 20" wheels (build date 1-25-18)
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude V6 FWD Eco Green

Past . . .
2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L, 2003 Mazda MPV, 1997 Odyssey,
1999 Accord, 1994 Accord, 1988 Accord . . .
. . . and others in the 'way back machine!
. . . First new car:
1962 Plymouth Valiant
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 11:40 AM

Garage
Okay, I agree it is the box in the third photo. The thing is, it looks like the plastic piece in the center of the box in the "original" photo within the first post is a connector of some sort. Not an electrical connection but rather a piece that could service to secure the box under the seat. I am wondering if it is a friction clip of some sort and it was just never fully clipped to whatever it is supposed to connected to?

2017 Pacifica Limited
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 12:08 PM

Garage
It is the Chrysler Mopar Heated Seat Module. My guess is that using the "third photo" in the earlier post and looking at the label orientation vs. the other cables and connectors you could fish the box up where it belongs and find the wire or part that it hangs on. I still believe the protrusion on the side of the box is the clip or hanger that supports it's connection up under the seat. I would think the module is not very heavy and once re-hung it would stay in place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0.jpg (83.6 KB, 39 views)

2017 Pacifica Limited

Last edited by wisejd; 08-25-2018 at 12:16 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 12:23 PM

One final suggestion: let the dealer remount the box under warranty. Either it was a factory mistake, or, more likely, the dealer service department screwed up when they serviced one of the recalled components.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited Billet Silver, AST, 20" wheels (build date 1-25-18)
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude V6 FWD Eco Green

Past . . .
2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L, 2003 Mazda MPV, 1997 Odyssey,
1999 Accord, 1994 Accord, 1988 Accord . . .
. . . and others in the 'way back machine!
. . . First new car:
1962 Plymouth Valiant
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisejd View Post
It is the Chrysler Mopar Heated Seat Module. My guess is that using the "third photo" in the earlier post and looking at the label orientation vs. the other cables and connectors you could fish the box up where it belongs and find the wire or part that it hangs on. I still believe the protrusion on the side of the box is the clip or hanger that supports it's connection up under the seat. I would think the module is not very heavy and once re-hung it would stay in place.
Yep that looks like what I see. It's in a pretty tight spot unless you pull down all those connectors first. Mine is firmly attached to something I cannot see. No wiggle at all when I got fingers on it this morning.
So, I guess the remaining long box under the front of the seat is the seat motor(s) controller.

Also there's a very small device up under the seat with a short ~1/4 inch diameter clear hose going to it. It might be the air pump for the ventilated seats but I sure wasn't expecting something that small. One of my very favorite features...I wish my other car, the one with the black leather seats, had this.

Brett

Last edited by BrettP; 08-25-2018 at 12:42 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page