adding heated seats - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

adding heated seats

When we purchased our 2017 they said they could add heated seats to our fabric seats for a nominal fee, but they would have to install a button instead of modifying the module. I am wondering if now that it has been out a while if you can add heated seat element and install a module instead. Has anybody tried this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 10:29 AM

They aren't going to simply add a 'button' to allow you to hook up seats. They wouldn't put the coils under the seat and disable it. Your seats would need to have the heating coils built into the seats, it's a separate module. Quite involved. I wouldn't bother.

Nominal fee sales people never want you to feel like anything is impossible so this is a standard phrase.. yeah it's nominal *IF* you have the money or feel its worth the money. Best guess will be around 500 per seat not including labor so probably looking at 1500 or so..

Just go buy a seat warmer from walmart for like 30 dollars each seat, call it a day.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

thanks- I should have specified that they would have added the heated coils to the seats and drilled a hole to put in a button (which I wasn't crazy about them drilling a hole in my brand new car). I was hoping there was a way to add the coils and then do a re-program or add a module so that I could use the non-functional button that is on the touch screen.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparker06 View Post
They aren't going to simply add a 'button' to allow you to hook up seats. They wouldn't put the coils under the seat and disable it. Your seats would need to have the heating coils built into the seats, it's a separate module. Quite involved. I wouldn't bother.
I'm fairly certain the salesman was talking about installing an aftermarket heating element, it's actually quite common. We almost had this added to the seats of our 2011 Sienna when we purchased it, but decided it wasn't worth the cost. I believe the dealer wanted $500 per seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
thanks- I should have specified that they would have added the heated coils to the seats and drilled a hole to put in a button (which I wasn't crazy about them drilling a hole in my brand new car). I was hoping there was a way to add the coils and then do a re-program or add a module so that I could use the non-functional button that is on the touch screen.
I'm sure there's a way it could be done, the issue is going to be finding a shop that knows how to do it. Dealer technicians know how to replace parts and diagnose problems, but modifying systems is generally beyond what they are trained to do. I think the aftermarket kit you agreed to is probably your best option.

2019 Tesla Model 3

Former: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB985 View Post
.. I'm sure there's a way it could be done, the issue is going to be finding a shop that knows how to do it. Dealer technicians know how to replace parts and diagnose problems, but modifying systems is generally beyond what they are trained to do. I think the aftermarket kit you agreed to is probably your best option.

I believe this is exactly correct. If you can determine the proper "sales codes" (which is what FCA calls their option codes) and can find a dealer willing and able to add them and reprogram the modules then (with all of the appropriate OEM hardware in place) there is no reason it shouldn't work. I've done this in the past with other (non-FCA) vehicles, but you need to understand every piece that makes up the factory system and which modules care whether or not the seat heaters are there.

While I wouldn't like a drilled hole with a button either, I agree that it is by far the easiest option.

- 2017 Pacifica Touring-L Plus - Jazz Blue, Advanced SafetyTec, Uconnect 8.4N, KeySense
- Ordered 5/31/16, Current status: KZL as of 6/28/16, Arrived at dealer 7/6/16, Purchased 7/11/16
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 08:50 AM

Here's some light reading from the service manual about the heated seats. As you can tell, it's a lot more complex than a simple electric heating circuit.

Quote:
Optional Heated Seats

The Heated Seat System:

- Provides individually controlled, supplemental heat to the seat cushion and seat back surfaces (2), with selectable high and low intensity settings

- Is available for front and second row seating only

- Includes the following primary components:

- Heated seat switches (incorporated into center stack display)

- Heated seat elements (2)

- Seat temperature thermistor sensors

Each heated seat is equipped with one:

- Heating coil integrated into the seat back

- Heating coil integrated into the seat cushion

- Seat temperature sensor located in the seat cushion which:

- Is directly monitored by the Heated Seat Module (HSM)

- Allows the HSM to determine when to activate or deactivate each heated seat

- All heated seat coils are directly controlled by the HSM

- Each seat back and seat cushion provide the same heat level and cannot be warmed independently

- When heated, the driver and front passenger seats have three settings, Hi, Low and Off

On the Integrated Center Stack (ICS) display, the heated seats can be controlled by the soft buttons. The ICS broadcasts a CAN-I signal to the HSM to complete the request.

Remote Start Heated Seats

On models equipped with remote start, the heated steering wheel and heated seats can be programmed to come on automatically during remote start operation in cold weather.

When this feature is selected, the driver's heated seat and heated steering wheel will automatically turn on when temperatures are below 40°F (4.4°C). When temperatures are above 80°F (26.7-°C) the driver vented seat will turn on.

To program the heated steering wheel and seats, select "Settings" from the controls screen, then select "Auto-On Comfort" from the Settings screen, the select the starting option from the Auto-On Comfort screen.

OPERATION

Heated Systems Modules:

- The Heated Seat Module (HSM) controls the heated seat system.

- The Steering Column Control Module (SCCM) is the interface between the heated steering wheel and the vehicle.

- The Steering Wheel Switch (SWS) converts hard wired sense and return information into a LIN bus message and sends to the SCCM.

- The Body Control Module (BCM) gates messages between the CAN C bus and the CAN I bus. Additionally the BCM provides vehicle information to the HSM.

See: Steering and Suspension\Steering\Steering Wheel\Description and Operation (Refer to 08 - Electrical/Steering Wheel/Description and Operation) for heated steering wheel information.

Heated Seats:

- The heated seat system operates on battery current received through fused ignition switch output (Run) circuits and will only operate when the engine is running.

- The HSM directly provides power to the seat heating elements in the seat cushions and seat backs for seat heating.

- The driver seat heat system and passenger seat heat system each consist of a cushion element connected in parallel with a back element.

- A thermistor sensor feedback from each seat heating element to the HSM is used to regulate the heater outputs to prevent any seats temperature from rising above the set points. If a seat temperature exceeds the set point the HSM automatically disables the system.

- The high level cutoff value range is from 122 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit in increments of 1 degrees Fahrenheit. The typical value is 129 degrees Fahrenheit.

- The low level cutoff value range is from 122 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit in increments of 1 degrees Fahrenheit. The typical value is 131 degrees Fahrenheit.

- The HSM will also turn off the heated seat elements if an open or short in the heating element circuit is detected.

- Each time a heated seat request signal is received by the HSM, the heated seat output will cycle from Off to High, High to Low and Low to Off. (i.e the first press cycles from Off to High, the next press cycles from High to Low and the next press cycles from Low to Off.)

- When the HSM receives the actuation request, the HSM activates the heating element output at the high level and transmits a message on the CAN-I bus to indicate the current output state is high.

- The HSM automatically transitions the output from high to low after a maximum period of 60 minutes has elapsed and transmits a message on the CAN-I bus to indicate the current output state is low.

- The HSM automatically transitions the output from low to off after a maximum period of 45 minutes has elapsed and transmits a message on the CAN-I bus to indicate the current output state is off.

When pressing the heated seat switch:

- A CAN-I bus message request is generated.

- The HSM receives the "Heated Seat request" from the CAN-I bus.

- The HSM broadcasts a confirmation of actuation message over the CAN-I bus.

- The HSM energizes an integral solid-state relay, which supplies Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) current to the heating elements of the designated seat(s).

- The HSM monitors the seat temperature.

The HSM is diagnosed using a scan tool and will automatically turn off the heating elements if it detects an open or low short in a heating element circuit See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC )\Testing and Inspection (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Heated Seat (HSM) - Diagnosis and Testing).
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 226702406.jpeg (19.8 KB, 9 views)

2019 Tesla Model 3

Former: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica

Last edited by TomB985; 10-16-2018 at 08:57 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
If it bothers you that they drill though the seats and it's not a problem to use after market why not just simply buy a seat cushion that is heated?

It accomplishes the same thing, except very simple, and when not needed you don't need to leave it in the car.

Rewiring a vehicle after the fact is almost always going to cause problems, routing wires, button placement, interfacing with existing system, drilling seems way more complicated and costly than just buying a simple heated seat from any number of various online retailers.

You just want your butt and back warm.. shouldn't be this complicated to be warm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in