Factory Nav Sucks - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Factory Nav Sucks

I got the factory Nav, with Nav traffic and it never avoids traffic, just takes me right into the middle of it. It tells me to U-turn, when there is a clear left turn to the destination... I'm Very disappointed that I opted to go with it. The Nav Traffic capable system that came with my last VW was awesome, it would dynamically update and avoid traffic all the time, this one not so much.

Anyone else having these issues?? I already adjusted the one option I found for detours down to 5 mins. Is there a system update available? Am I missing some option in the settings that would make it work better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 10:40 AM

You are 10000000000% correct.

Its not just bad, its pathetic.

I live in LA. You would think a map of Roads that have been there for 30+ years would be accurate... Nope.

I was driving on the 5 freeway to Burbank. About 10 minutes before Burbank the car had me exit the freeway, do a uturn, go in a circle again, then get back on the freeway... No joke.

It made zero sense.

Thats when I stopped just trusting Nav and now CAREFULLY check the mapped trip before proceeding.

Chrysler software is trash. All of it. Trash. And people are excited about Chryslers advanced saftey software... LOL

My favorite is if you turn the car off with a movie playing, then get back in and turn it on, the Uconnect ALWAYS freezes and won't work for like 5 minutes because the software choked on not being manually shut down first.

As in I have to stop the movie and press power on the theater BEFORE I shut the car off or the Uconnect crashes 100% of the time.

Chrysler is not paying top dollar for great software design in ANY dept...
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 10:58 AM

I had similar issues with mine originally but since applying the map update it seems much better (at least I think so). Took it on a trip to FL over spring break and it seemed to do a pretty good job of alerting me to traffic congestion and asking if I'd like to take an alternate route. I know just a map update wouldn't necessarily improve the guidance logic like that, but I'm wondering if there was more to it than just updating maps.

2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 02:04 PM

Anyone else have map issues where whomever drew the roads didn't connect them completely so it keeps trying to find a different route? There are trips I've driven a bunch before and it tries adding 30 min because it cant use a common road because 10 feet of it is missing somewhere and it isnt continuous.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2017 Pacifica Limited, 8 passenger, Vac delete/spare tire
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfab3 View Post
I got the factory Nav, with Nav traffic and it never avoids traffic, just takes me right into the middle of it. It tells me to U-turn, when there is a clear left turn to the destination... I'm Very disappointed that I opted to go with it.
Hmmm. I wonder if the Sirius XM Traffic option with the SiriusXM Travel Link will spread to all the models. They are supplying 5 year subscriptions to SXM Travel Link, 5 years Sirius Traffic subscription along with a 1 year SiriusXM Guardian subscription. Those would be on the fly updates I'm guessing. I haven't ordered a Pacifica in a long time so those may be available.

That software would be totally supplied by Sirius. So claiming that all the software in the van is purely FCA and is pure crap "no matter what" tells me something. That Sirius's quality is sometimes worse than the agents you call when you want to call and cancel the service.

Map quality is as good as the industrial geographer. FCA doesn't have hot air balloons or satellites in the air. FCA supplies the GPS antenna (patch) with a unique ID then they depend on someone else to do the math. Probably on the WAAS system. (That's a pretty big -probable- there.) With a helix antenna WAAS does a good job for farmers and gives precise locations down to the foot. In my experience WAAS isn't always dependable around 4:15 MST in my area. I am pretty far north.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzlebobble View Post
Anyone else have map issues where whomever drew the roads didn't connect them completely so it keeps trying to find a different route? There are trips I've driven a bunch before and it tries adding 30 min because it cant use a common road because 10 feet of it is missing somewhere and it isnt continuous.
I had the same problem once, but with Google Maps. Instead of going straight through an intersection it had me turn right, go a block down the side road, make a U-turn, and finally turn right at the original intersection. The difference is that Google has a way to report problems like these. I did so, and it is fixed now.
CentralFla likes this.

2018 Molten Silver Pacifica Hybrid Limited purchased Nov 30, 2017.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:16 PM

Garage
Don't know about the 2018 2019 versions but what I find even worse is the screen responsiveness to dragging and moving is SUPER laggy to the point where you can't use it to drag or even tap new locations on the map. I have a 2019 rental jeep and the responsiveness is much better but not as good as a phone or my Garmin. Missing a lot of POIs vs the Garmin, and voice commands are pretty shoddy. The only thing that works satisfactorily is the voice address when you read the entire thing out. Having said all that, the nav in my prev Odyssey was even worse.

* Geez guys, finish your location and signature w model!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DRIVING - 17 Pacifica Hybrid Platinum CDN Granite Grey, Chargepoint EVSE & 240V OEM, Full WeatherTech Sunroof Deflector + Mats, Front MOPAR Mudflaps, Winter RWC 17" + MOPAR TPMS + Michelin Xi2
SOLD - 08 Honda Odyssey Touring White no PAX
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfan View Post
I had similar issues with mine originally but since applying the map update it seems much better (at least I think so). Took it on a trip to FL over spring break and it seemed to do a pretty good job of alerting me to traffic congestion and asking if I'd like to take an alternate route. I know just a map update wouldn't necessarily improve the guidance logic like that, but I'm wondering if there was more to it than just updating maps.
How did you obtain/apply the map update? The driveuconnect.com site is terrible. It gives the impression that you must pay for updates, but never takes you to a place where you can purchase or download them when I select my vehicle.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 33K miles

Last edited by freddief73; 05-01-2019 at 12:08 AM.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 02:53 AM

Agreed...the technology is generally poor all around. My Uconnect OTA failed twice, yet the dealership says there's no update for it. The maps are junk and the routing is terrible in LA, so I don't use it. Mine seems to be stuck in some sort of avoid freeways mode even though it's not set that way, so it adds extra miles and bunch of city streets to every trip when the freeway is just fine. Uconnect Theater is hit or miss...works sometimes, but black screens sometimes. This is AFTER getting a new video module. The lane keep basically bounces from line to line and doesn't attempt to keep you in the middle and when you exit the freeway and the lines do anything odd, it jerks the wheel pretty hard to follow the wrong line. Really, the hybrid in a vehicle that size is the reason I got it. I shouldn't have bothered with the limited edition since I don't use any of the features cause they suck so bad. Really disappointed with FCA. They really should avoid doing anything with technology. @ChryslerCares tries to help, but the dealership won't do anything they suggest unless they can reproduce the issue. Unless a technician wants to move in with me and live my life with this vehicle, I don't know what to say. Video evidence isn't enough.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddief73 View Post
How did you obtain/apply the map update? The driveuconnect.com site is terrible. It gives the impression that you must pay for updates, but never takes you to a place where you can purchase or download them when I select my vehicle.
On that driveuconnect.com site under Support is an option for Map Updates. That takes you to another chryslergroupnavigation page where you select your vehicle and it walks you through checking your system so you order the correct update. They shipped me a USB stick with the update that took about 90mins or so to apply to the van. Just checked and it looks like there is no update available for the 2018's. There was one for my 2017 and last year they had them on sale for $50 off so I bit the bullet. Wish these updates were included with the vehicle purchase at least for a couple of years. Also wish I could apply the update to multiple vehicles. I also own a 200 that accepts the same update but it can only be applied to 1 vehicle. I'm guessing as CarPlay and Android Auto gets introduced to more and more vehicles the demand for these buit-in navs will drop to almost nothing.

2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page