Question about mechanical key door locking - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Waldo
  • 1 Post By AZBean
  • 1 Post By PPLMVR

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Question about mechanical key door locking

I'm a few weeks into my ownership of a 2019 Limited PacHy. Loving it. But I'm trying to figure out how to lock the doors with the little mechanical key. I do a lot of running and I don't want to have to bring the entire key fob with me when the little key is much easier to carry.

I tried a few times to lock the car with the fob inside, but couldn't figure it out. Has anyone been successful in figuring out the system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnlhubc View Post
I'm a few weeks into my ownership of a 2019 Limited PacHy. Loving it. But I'm trying to figure out how to lock the doors with the little mechanical key. I do a lot of running and I don't want to have to bring the entire key fob with me when the little key is much easier to carry.

I tried a few times to lock the car with the fob inside, but couldn't figure it out. Has anyone been successful in figuring out the system?
The engineers decided that it's not desirable to lock the fob in the car (locksmith service calls are expensive), so it was designed to stop you from doing that. That physical key is only meant for emergency use if the fob battery fails. My advice: learn to love the fob!
djdavet and cnlhubc like this.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited Billet Silver, AST, 20" wheels (build date 1-25-18)
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude V6 FWD Eco Green

Past . . .
2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L, 2003 Mazda MPV, 1997 Odyssey,
1999 Accord, 1994 Accord, 1988 Accord . . .
. . . and others in the 'way back machine!
. . . First new car:
1962 Plymouth Valiant
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnlhubc View Post

Leave the window down as you exit the car, lock the car using the fob, throw the fob inside, then reach inside and hit the button that rolls the window up. Or make three attempts to lock the fob inside and it will accept your wishes. See the attached manual page.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Forced lock of key fob inside.jpg (290.1 KB, 21 views)
cnlhubc likes this.

2018 Molten Silver Pacifica Hybrid Limited purchased Nov 30, 2017.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 08:08 PM

Get a Faraday cage bag or box for the fob.

When you want to go for a run:
- Remove the physical key from the fob. Place on your person.
- Place fob in Faraday cage in vehicle out of plain sight
- Lock the doors via interior door panel
- When you get back, open with the physical key
- If the alarm goes off (I don't know if it will, but it might) retrieve the fob and turn off the alarm
- Continue on with your day.

If you don't want to keep breaking the physical key out of the fob you can likely get a copy of the key itself made just to unlock the door.
cnlhubc likes this.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid - In Canada Eh!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPLMVR View Post
Get a Faraday cage bag or box for the fob.

When you want to go for a run:
- Remove the physical key from the fob. Place on your person.
- Place fob in Faraday cage in vehicle out of plain sight
- Lock the doors via interior door panel
- When you get back, open with the physical key
- If the alarm goes off (I don't know if it will, but it might) retrieve the fob and turn off the alarm
- Continue on with your day.

If you don't want to keep breaking the physical key out of the fob you can likely get a copy of the key itself made just to unlock the door.
Successfully did it this morning using aluminum foil. Looking now for a more permanent, though still cheap way to faraday cage the key. Thanks for the tip!

update: going to try this: https://www.autodealersupplies.com/p...-boxes.-23220/

not exactly cheap, but at least I don't need to go through excessive amounts of tin foil!

Tags
locking doors. , manual key , mechanical key

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page