Spoiled rotten... - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Spoiled rotten...

Okay... we haven't even BEGUN to get the REAL cold weather up here in New England, and I already feel spoiled by the ability to have the Heated Seats and Heated Steering Wheel automatically engage upon remote-start. I was rushing to get out the door around 5:00 am and only had a few minutes to remote-start the car before bolting out of the house. It was about 30-degrees out and expected that without a lot of time to preheat, I was going to be chilly for a few miles while the car warmed-up.

To my surprise, as soon as I sat down, put my things in their place, hit the start button (to override the remote-start) and grabbed the wheel... it was already toasty-warm... as was the seat. I know I am going to LOVE this feature as the winter kicks-in and gets even colder.

It's actually even SAFER to have the heated wheel because drivers tend to actually WANT to grasp the wheel firmly to warm their hands (thus having better control of the car)... as opposed to AVOIDING putting their hands on the wheel because it's too-cold... and using their knee instead until things warm-up (making it unsafe in the event of emergency).

I grew-up learning to drive in cars with MANUAL brakes and steering... no power brakes... no power steering. Heat was a JOKE on most of those cars. You just had to go outside, pull the choke, pump the gas a couple times and PRAY that the engine turns-over before the battery ran out of juice. Once it did, you would crank the defrost and go back inside for 20-minutes - checking every few minutes out the window to make sure it didn't stall - and once you finally DID get back out there... depending on your car... the heat wasn't that great. Your bench seat was still FREEZING... the steering-wheel was almost painful to hold it was so cold. Many times, you'd GET to your destination before the temperature got even remotely "comfortable" inside the car.

Nobody cared... it's just how it WAS... it was normal to go through that process in the dead of winter.

Having lived through that - to me, it is an absolute LUXURY to be able to stand within the warmth of my home, double-click a small button on my keychain and my car comes-to-life instantly without ANY effort... and begins to warm the interior with FAR more efficiency than the old days and it toasts my seat and steering wheel...! THAT is utterly amazing when I think back to how it was in the "old-days". Yes, I am spoiled rotten.

MajikMojo likes this.

"I'll procrastinate later..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 09:18 AM

I don't want to even think about the cold of the NE. I enjoy heated seats and steering in my current cars this down here in South Florida.

Stay warm this winter.
17lim likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, having a heated steering wheel in my last few cars has made it an absolute must for me. I won't even look at a vehicle that doesn't have heated seats and a heated wheel. One thing that's a little weird with the Pacifica's wheel is that it has that strip of metal on the front that separates the two leather colors. The metal stays cold a lot longer than the rest of the wheel. The sharp contrast of a hot wheel with that cold strip of metal on the front takes some getting used to. The metal strip does warm up eventually, it just takes longer.

2017 Pacifica Limited - Molten Silver/Mocha
8 Pax - Vac - SafetyTec - UConnect Theater & Sound
20" Wheels - Tow - KeySense - Splash Guards

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV GT

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 11:29 AM

Wife and I both made fun of the heated steering wheel feature when we bought our first car that had one (as part of a package). Now, like @generaltso , I don't think she'd be happy buying another car without it.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Now I can't help but wonder when we'll see a cooled steering wheel for summer. I want it all!
17lim and MajikMojo like this.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
"... it has that strip of metal on the front that separates the two leather colors. The metal stays cold a lot longer than the rest of the wheel."
THIS! I cannot speak as to WHY they chose (needed?) to do this, but it is really irritating. It almost registers as "pain" or REALLY HOT in your brain at first because the contrast between them is so SHARP upon touching them.

I am only GUESSING that it is an easier way of wrapping the leather wheel and using the round "spline" to wedge pieces in-place or something... I really don't know, but it feels like it is isolated from the heat generated by the embedded heating element.

1st-world problems, for sure.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificaLimited View Post
I am only GUESSING that it is an easier way of wrapping the leather wheel and using the round "spline" to wedge pieces in-place or something.
Yeah, I'm sure it is something like that. While the two tone wheel does look nice, I would gladly accept a steering wheel that is all one color and doesn't have the cold metal strip.
PacificaLimited likes this.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
Yeah, I'm sure it is something like that. While the two tone wheel does look nice, I would gladly accept a steering wheel that is all one color and doesn't have the cold metal strip.
Although our Touring-L Plus has the single color heated steering wheel, it still has its own hotter and cooler spots. Nothing like a metal ring, though, I'm sure.

I also thought this feature was borderline "silly" before purchasing. I turn it on most of the time now, though.

- 2017 Pacifica Touring-L Plus - Jazz Blue, Advanced SafetyTec, Uconnect 8.4N, KeySense
- Ordered 5/31/16, Current status: KZL as of 6/28/16, Arrived at dealer 7/6/16, Purchased 7/11/16
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 02:09 PM

I as well on the last few vans have gotten use to the remote start, heated seats and wheel. I love now how I have the cooled seats, I can't stand leather, not hot weather and wow, it makes a huge diff.

I did want to ask............ when I had my 2003 King Ranch way back when as our 3rd tow vehicle, you could set the auto temp at what ever and in the dead of winter remote start it and if the engine was not hot, the HVAC would not actually blow until the air was warm or starting to get warm. It would not blow cold air....

Damon
1985 Dodge Caravan LE cream w/wood
1985 Dodge Caravan LE mink brown w/wood
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited in Tusk White
several other cars

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

That is how many (most?) newer cars in an upper-price range work: They tend to gradually increase blower speed as the temperature rises so as not to just blow arctic air at the occupants. If it is set to "Auto" climate control on "HI"... the blowers do not kick-in to max speed until there's some relatively warm air to present.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page