Uconnect movies via USB, what format? - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 208 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Uconnect movies via USB, what format?

Hi, I have a friend that can download couple of hundred movies into a USB stick 256gb. My question is what format does it need be in? Can it still be in its original 1080p file? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 208 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:25 AM

It has to be in mp4 format and in 720p. At least that's what's been working for most of us here. Once quick tip, if using handbrake to compress your movie, you must deselect chapters for handbrake to make mp4's, if not, it'll output m4v which won't play.

2017 Billet/Alloy Limited - UConnect Theater/Sound, 20 inch Wheels, Safety Tec

Previously:
2001 Ody EX
2004 Ody EX NAV
2006 Ody Touring RES NAV
2009 Ody Touring RES NAV
2011 Ody Elite
2014 Ody Elite
post #3 of 208 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:33 AM

Like Norbert said, most success is with 720p, in MP4 format. I have found this to be the most frustrating part of the Uconnect theater.

I use avi's for home but they don't seem to work in the van. I wish there was an official guide on the format, but so far it seems to be just trial and error. Not all usb sticks work, so I would make sure your van sees what media you put in before filling up a USB stick that may or may not work.

It is my mission to one day to get to the bottom of this. I just download them from a respectable site for only the movies I own. Right now the kids just want to watch Trolls over and over and over and over.

post #4 of 208 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

I haven't had any issues playing mp4, mkv, or avi files. Both 720p and 1080p have also worked fine for me. Just make sure the flash drive is formatted with NTFS or FAT32 (not exFAT). If you go with FAT32, keep in mind that the maximum file size is 4GB.

2017 Pacifica Limited - Molten Silver/Mocha
8 Pax - Vac - SafetyTec - UConnect Theater & Sound
20" Wheels - Tow - KeySense - Splash Guards

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV GT
post #5 of 208 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:38 PM

I haven't messed with the USB video files too much yet but I threw a couple movies on a stick and did have an issue with one of them. One played fine. The other played but no sound. I think that was due to the fact that Uconnect doesn't like DD 5.1 audio encoding. I think it only will accept stereo.
post #6 of 208 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 01:05 PM

USB Drives with UConnect 8.4

I've been looking at this as well since i have a 20TB home media server. You can find details in the following link but i'll outline it below:

pacificaforums.com/forum/401-electronics/1929-uconnect-max-file-size-video-files-2.html#post35162

- Convert all movies to maximum width of 1200 (height is automatically scaled within Handbrake)
- Keep file sizes at or around 2GB (thread shows it working with a 2.99GB file)
- When first connecting drive, may take a few minutes ti initialize
- Not all USB ports will accept media since most will only charge your device
- If you use chapters in your movie the movie will be named the first chapter (so by default, movies would be named "Chapter 1)
- You can disable chapter markers
- You can rename Chapter 1 to the name of the movie

The thread has a good amount of info on uConnect 8.4 and external hdd movie playing

Hope this helps.
spydr and bokubob like this.
post #7 of 208 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 01:08 PM

What is the maximum USB drive capacity that we can plugin ? are regular hard drive supported? or just USB stick
post #8 of 208 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 01:26 PM

in the thread someone mentions having a 1tb Western digital drive
post #9 of 208 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 02:54 PM

Another fyi. If you're a mac user, download MetaMovie from the App store. Its all of $4! It will automatically get all the meta data for your movies. I set the artwork to "small" as I've read UConnect has problems with big artwork. I've tagged all my movies and they are read perfectly. As noted though, the artwork is cut off as its made to be horizontal, but most artwork MetaMovie finds are vertical. It inserts chapters too so that's not a problem for UConnect.

The best thing about MetaMovie is it does all the tagging instantly. I was using another app that was free but it re-writes the whole file and takes 4-5 minutes per movie. And doesn't fill all the tags like MetaMovie does.
Bond007, Jonamm, avaughs and 2 others like this.

2017 Billet/Alloy Limited - UConnect Theater/Sound, 20 inch Wheels, Safety Tec

Previously:
2001 Ody EX
2004 Ody EX NAV
2006 Ody Touring RES NAV
2009 Ody Touring RES NAV
2011 Ody Elite
2014 Ody Elite
post #10 of 208 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 10:00 AM

So far this is working great. I used Handbrake to convert 7 movies so far and I've removed the chapter markers. I set the quality a little low and ended up with files around 600MB. Also, since the screens are so small I use 1280 as the width. For the next set I may try to boost the quality to see if it is noticeable.

Also I was able to then select and play different movies on the two screens and have them play at the same time. That is really cool. The only problem is the wireless headsets will only work with the first movie selected. I have a spare wired set that works with the 2nd screen though.
I am using a 32GB USB 2.0 memeory stick. It is fairly small and will hold 40 movies at least. I'll probably get a 2nd one as a "backup" and put different movies on it.

Does anyone know how to get the one wireless headset to work with the 2nd screen? And (I have not tried this), is it possible to get the same movie to play on both screens without both having to start it (and the screens being out of sync)?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in