Auto door lock defeat - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Auto door lock defeat

I am not a fan of the auto door lock feature. The feature to which I'm referring is the one that, when enabled, will automatically lock the door locks when the vehicle's speed exceeds 12 mph.

The owner's manual says:
"The auto door lock feature can be enabled or disabled by your authorized dealer per written request of the customer. Please see your authorized dealer for service."

Has anyone tried to get the dealer to make that adjustment? If so, what kind of "written request" did you need to provide? I am happy that there is an option to defeat this feature, I am only mildly annoyed that FCA feels I can't be trusted with the authority to exercise it. Now that I know about it, I will have the dealer take care of it whenever I (eventually) pick up my PacHy.

2018 Bright White Pacifica Hybrid Limited
Ordered: 15 SEP 2017
VIN: 19 SEP 2017
D1: 19 SEP 2017
Build sheet: 25 SEP 2017
JS: 28 SEP 2017
SL: 28 OCT 2017
KZ: 29 OCT 2017
Sticker: 30 OCT 2017
Dealer: 21 NOV 2017
Possession: 28 NOV 2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 08:45 AM

Not positive of the reasoning for why you donít want this feature engaged but the reason the doors lock has to do with the safety/integrity of the vehicle in certain types of crashes, as well as from a security stand point.

What you likely are signing is some sort of waiver of liability when you authorize CFA to deactivate that feature.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

I just find it highly annoying to have to unlock a door I never locked. There are far more many instances where the doors are locked when I want them to be unlocked then there are when they are unlocked and and I want them to be locked. If I want the doors locked, I can always lock them - I don't need the car to think it is smarter than I am and it can make decisions for me. I am totally OK with the option, I am not happy with not being able to make my own decisions should I want to.

I doubt having the doors locked makes any difference at all in a crash of any kind. As long as the door is latched, it is as secure as it is going to be. Locking it just prevents the door handle from unlatching it. It is not a situation similar to a deadbolt on a front door, where when that is locked there is additional security provided, a car lock just disables the normal unlatching mechanism, which is highly unlikely to be triggered in a crash. I admit to not having done exhaustive research here, but I imagine if it does ever make a difference, it is in an extreme minority of circumstances.

I do admit it may help prevent a car jacking, and if I lived in a densely populated metropolitan area, and I routinely traveled through less safe parts of town, then I may find that feature desirable. But that situation does not apply to me.

I can certainly understand from the product liability perspective of FCA, but I would think simply setting the default to lock, like they do for lane sense, where the owner has to make a conscious choice to change the setting would be enough to absolve themselves of any liability. Past cars I have owned have it set as a default, but I could always make my own choice.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seo68 View Post
I am not a fan of the auto door lock feature. The feature to which I'm referring is the one that, when enabled, will automatically lock the door locks when the vehicle's speed exceeds 12 mph.

The owner's manual says:
"The auto door lock feature can be enabled or disabled by your authorized dealer per written request of the customer. Please see your authorized dealer for service."

Has anyone tried to get the dealer to make that adjustment? If so, what kind of "written request" did you need to provide? I am happy that there is an option to defeat this feature, I am only mildly annoyed that FCA feels I can't be trusted with the authority to exercise it. Now that I know about it, I will have the dealer take care of it whenever I (eventually) pick up my PacHy.
I'm confused why it bothers you so much. It's way better than most other vehicles. On my Cadillac, after the door locks, I have to pull the handle once to unlock it and then a second time to open the door. On the Pacifica, one pull and it unlocks and opens the door as if it was unlocked anyways. There is zero benefit that I can think of that would come from disabling this feature. Is this just a freedom of choice thing

2017 PACIFICA LIMITED GRANITE CRYSTAL METALLIC, BLACK ALLOY, SAFETY TEC, UCONNECT THEATER/SOUND, 20" WHEELS. DELIVERED 09/12/16.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 10:05 AM

Iím also confused of the use case. Iíve only had my Pac for a couple months but Iíve yet to have one instance where I had to unlock the doors manually.

2018 Pacifica Limited (gas) - Oct. 2017 build
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

The reality is that I am old and forgetful, but can still get cranky.

I go to the theater, when my wife and I come out it is raining, so I go get the car so that I can pull up and not have her walk out in the rain, but by the time I pull up, the car has locked itself, she walks out and gets rained on while I sit there having forgotten that the door locked, and since I rarely have to unlock it using the button from inside, there is always a delay as I try to find the button.

Similarly, when picking someone up from the airport, and I want to minimize my time at the curb, the car has locked itself and I need to find the button to unlock it before they can get in.

Again, I admit to my annoyance being mild and a function of my caustic personality, but I perceive absolutely no benefit to having the car lock on its own when I am in it, and I find the occasional circumstance where I am annoyed. Even if it only bothered me once every five years, that's one more time than I would be bothered by it not locking (with me in it).

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seo68 View Post
The reality is that I am old and forgetful, but can still get cranky.

I go to the theater, when my wife and I come out it is raining, so I go get the car so that I can pull up and not have her walk out in the rain, but by the time I pull up, the car has locked itself, she walks out and gets rained on while I sit there having forgotten that the door locked, and since I rarely have to unlock it using the button from inside, there is always a delay as I try to find the button.

Similarly, when picking someone up from the airport, and I want to minimize my time at the curb, the car has locked itself and I need to find the button to unlock it before they can get in.

Again, I admit to my annoyance being mild and a function of my caustic personality, but I perceive absolutely no benefit to having the car lock on its own when I am in it, and I find the occasional circumstance where I am annoyed. Even if it only bothered me once every five years, that's one more time than I would be bothered by it not locking (with me in it).
This is my favorite response ever.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 10:54 AM

The car is just forcing you into better habits . Same thing with lane assist forcing me to start using my turn signal more when switching lanes. The car thinks you should be in park any time someone is entering the car, and itís not a bad habit to pick up.
Dreylok likes this.

2018 Pacifica Limited (gas) - Oct. 2017 build
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apnar View Post
The car is just forcing you into better habits . Same thing with lane assist forcing me to start using my turn signal more when switching lanes. The car thinks you should be in park any time someone is entering the car, and itís not a bad habit to pick up.
I disagree. I think that auto lock AND the double press to unlock all doors are great features for people who are scared of where they live and drive. And, for those people, I am happy that manufacturers have added these features. For the rest of us, I think they are both simply a nuisance. I have always disabled them, even when I had no Driver Information Center or similar interface. On early GM products you had to do a song and dance that involved ignition cycles and some other interaction (I can't currently recall) but in the end, the horn would notify you that you have successfully fixed (defeated) this nuisance. My T&C let's me adjust both through the dash display. To think that FCA thinks that this makes any sense on the Pacifica is simply a shame.

Lee
seo68 likes this.

2018 PacHy Limited, Molten Silver, Mocha, w/sunroof Dealer order converted to sold 9/27/17, arrived 12/1/17
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

The one reason that the double-press to unlock doesn't bother me so much is that most of the time I really do only want to unlock the driver's door and so it saves cycles on the other locks. But at least with the double-press, it is in the user interface to customize. But for the auto-lock, I need to go to the dealer and ask permission to have the car work the way I want it to.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in