Best OBD2 (OBD-II) Adapter/Custom PIDs? - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2017, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Best OBD2 (OBD-II) Adapter/Custom PIDs?

I'm interested in better monitoring my 2018 PacHy Limited's systems, both standard and hybrid. For my Ford C-MAX Energi, I use the Scantool OBDLink MX which supports Ford's MS-CAN protocols, and have found/loaded custom PIDs for the Torque app which enable me to monitor the hybrid systems. Two questions:

1) Is there an OBD2 adapter that is uniquely better for the Pacifica; and
2) Are there unique PIDs for Chrysler generally, or the Pacifica in particular, that can/should be monitored?

Thanks. {Jonathan}
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2017, 06:31 PM

Garage
witech micropod 2
ProfJonathan likes this.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stop-eject View Post
witech micropod 2
The Mopar version? Interesting. Going to do more research. Thanks. {Jonathan}

Old 11-30-2017, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJonathan View Post
The Mopar version? Interesting. Going to do more research. Thanks. {Jonathan}
Looking further, it appears that (a) it's not Bluetooth and (b) it's very much meant for professional mechanics, so likely out of my price range (esp. for the necessary software license), something I'll not be permitted to get, or both. {J}
Old 11-30-2017, 12:42 PM

Garage
Thanks to the Right To Repair Law you can buy the dongle, software and online subscription. However the Law doesn't say anything about the cost, which is prohibitive even for most independent shops. My guess is that most of the OBD communications are encrypted and will only work with the original dongle. Generic OBD2 tools will be limited to the mandated emission related data.
ProfJonathan likes this.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stop-eject View Post
Thanks to the Right To Repair Law you can buy the dongle, software and online subscription. However the Law doesn't say anything about the cost, which is prohibitive even for most independent shops. My guess is that most of the OBD communications are encrypted and will only work with the original dongle. Generic OBD2 tools will be limited to the mandated emission related data.
Thank you again for the interesting and detailed explanation. I'm going to try my OBDLink MX with its accompanying software to see whether it picks up any sensors and systems beyond the emissions stuff. {Jonathan}
Old 11-30-2017, 02:59 PM

Garage
Please let us know the results.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:01 PM

Garage
Using my iPhone, the EngineLink app, and my old OBDLink wifi interface, just for kicks I tried the GM Mode 22 PID file that comes with the app.

I was getting responses from the van for quite a few PIDs. Here are a few PIDs that seemed interesting:

221997 (seems related to accelerator pedal pressure)
221999 (value goes up when van is turned off)
22114B

All of the above use "ECM" in the Header.
soontobe likes this.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Ltd
2013 Volt
2015 F-150

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:53 PM

Garage
PID 221997 is what I’m calling “Commanded Power.”
Equation: 100*A/255
Units: %
Header: ECM

It varies between 0 and 100%. Accelerator pedal to the floor is 100%. When on cruise control, it still varies along with the amount of power being requested.

Note that the value is always positive and it doesn’t match the Power gauge on the instrument panel.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Ltd
2013 Volt
2015 F-150

Old 01-28-2018, 05:08 PM

Garage
And 22114B is Absolute Accelerator Pedal Position. On my van it varies from about 7% to about 92%. Same equation: 100*A/255

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Ltd
2013 Volt
2015 F-150

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in