Aftermarket HID kit in the projector headlights - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 10Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Aftermarket HID kit in the projector headlights

I decided to try an aftermarket HID kit. All of them on ebay looked essentially the same, so I bought a cheap one, my only criteria were 4300k color temperature and free shipping both way. I didn't have high expectations about the $17 kit, however it worked rather well. The factory halogen bulbs are fed directly by the BCM, while the HIDs are connected with relays. I didn't want to risk plugging the HID kit directly, and bought a relay harness. I also bought replacement covers for the headlights because I didn't want to make holes in the factory ones. The covers are still on their way from China, today I planned to check how the kit will work. Initially it wouldn't. With a voltmeter I quickly found out that the polarity on the headlight bulb was reversed. I don't know if there is a standard for it, the bulb certainly doesn't care. Both wires going to it were the same color. I had to switch the wires in the HID bulb harness, and bend the pins a little because they were not making a good contact. When the HID bulb was turned on, it took 2-3 seconds to reach the full brightness. The light was bright white and excellent beam shape. It was a cold and snowy day, so the testing was limited to my garage with 2' between the headlight and the wall. The camera makes the halogen bulb look almost brownish, in reality the difference is not that dramatic. Take a look at the pictures and tell me what you think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.2000 F10 ISO125 Low exposure shows the differnce in the brightness.jpg (47.6 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg Tape indicates the cut-off.jpg (143.0 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg Back to the halogen. The cut-off is the same.jpg (130.6 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg 1.160 F5 ISO125.jpg (112.0 KB, 253 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 09:03 PM

Where did you find the caps? I am looking at doing this as well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 09:44 PM

Cool. So far the cut off looks good. That is all I can say about it. The hot spot is too large and blotchy. Whenever possible please take pictures at 25 feet, and 100-300 ft away as well on a vertical wall. If you canít find suitable place close to home then go to the nearest mall. I am pretty sure that you can find suitable spots there. Also please keep one side stock for reasonable comparison. Use a camera with manual controls if possible. Good stuff anyway.
Robbyrob likes this.

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkeys1 View Post
Where did you find the caps? I am looking at doing this as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pair-Univ...53.m2749.l2649 I'm not sure they will fit. When I received the kit, its manual says that the pass through cut out should be 25mm, these have a 30mm cut out, which may be too large. These http://amzn.to/2BRmLxu may be a better choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
Cool. So far the cut off looks good. That is all I can say about it. The hot spot is too large and blotchy. Whenever possible please take pictures at 25 feet, and 100-300 ft away as well on a vertical wall. If you can’t find suitable place close to home then go to the nearest mall. I am pretty sure that you can find suitable spots there. Also please keep one side stock for reasonable comparison. Use a camera with manual controls if possible. Good stuff anyway.
Yes, I see what are you talking about. I was so excited about the cut off that I didn't look a anything else. Some of the differences can be attributed to the perspective distortion, but there are differences in the light distribution. I don't know if they will negatively affect the lighting. With HID's higher output all areas under the cut off are lighted at least as well as with the Halogen. I agree that more testing is needed, but it was snowing yesterday. I'm one of hose people who hates cold, I'm not going to jump around with a camera at below freezing temperatures.

Last edited by stop-eject; 12-10-2017 at 09:17 AM.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stop-eject View Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pair-Univ...53.m2749.l2649 I'm not sure they will fit. When I received the kit, its manual says that the pass through cut out should be 25mm, these have a 30mm cut out, which may be too large. These http://amzn.to/2BRmLxu may be a better choice.

Yes, I see what are you talking about. I was so excited about the cut off that I didn't look a anything else. Some of the differences can be attributed to the perspective distortion, but there are differences in the light distribution. I don't know if they will negatively affect the lighting. With HID's higher output all areas under the cut off are lighted at least as well as with the Halogen. I agree that more testing is needed, but it was snowing yesterday. I'm one of hose people who hates cold, I'm not going to jump around with a camera at below freezing temperatures.
Did the dust cap fit well?

post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I don't have it yet. Made a mistake of ordering from China.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkeys1 View Post
Did the dust cap fit well?

I was unable to achieve a good seal with the aftermarket dust caps and ended up drilling 15/16" holes in the factory caps.
The passenger side was hard to install, almost no room there. I even attempted to move the ABS pump, but the brake lines were too stiff for that.

*** 2019 Hybrid Limited ***
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stop-eject View Post
I was unable to achieve a good seal with the aftermarket dust caps and ended up drilling 15/16" holes in the factory caps.
The passenger side was hard to install, almost no room there. I even attempted to move the ABS pump, but the brake lines were too stiff for that.
I drilled holes in the factory caps from the beginning. I figured I could always buy stock caps as OEM parts if necessary.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxthewhite View Post
I drilled holes in the factory caps from the beginning. I figured I could always buy stock caps as OEM parts if necessary.
p/n 68329860AA $1.87. I should've looked it up before trying to fit the aftermarket caps.

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I've been driving with the HIDs for over a week now. They illuminate the road better than the halogen bulbs and I have no complaints in the looks department. They are bright white with no purple tint or fringes and match the LED DRL strips perfectly. That cheap kit performed above my expectations. I want to share the installation details.
HID kit http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=132330858844
Relay harness http://amzn.to/2CoBa5L
Wire harness tape http://amzn.to/2CmMyio
I also purchased several aftermarket rear caps, none of them worked.

The relay (right red arrow) is attached to the driver's side diagonal cross brace. The other arrow points at the battery cable. It was double insulated, but I taped it because I didn't want to the wire to jump out with its bright red color and for extra protection.

The driver side ballast is held with the cross brace bolt. The ground terminal is attached to the same bolt.

The green arrow shows where the battery wire from the first picture is connected.

I had to remove the plastic cover to properly route the harness wire to the passenger side. The wire is barely long. A 9005 extension http://amzn.to/2Eeb2Li could make the install a little more comfortable.

The other ballast (left arrow) is tied to the passenger side cross brace. The right arrow is the bolt where the ground is attached. There is another bolt nearby which looks more attractive for the ground, but it is not connected to the chassis.

I drilled holes in the rear covers with a 15/16" wood spade bit. Installing the bulbs was difficult. On the passenger side I had to remove the cross brace, rubber ABS pump cover and windshield washer fill neck. The neck is just pulled out after removing the single screw on the cross brace. Make sure the fluid level is below the neck, or it will leak on the floor. The HID bulbs bases are smaller compared to the regular 9005s and provide no leverage to lock them in the position. I was afraid to apply force because I didn't know if the reflectors are sturdy enough. Ended up to use long nose curved pliers to partially turn the bulb and finished with fingers. The driver side had more room to work, but still tight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1828.jpg (386.6 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1829.jpg (363.6 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1830.jpg (439.2 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1810.jpg (534.2 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1831.jpg (487.5 KB, 199 views)
vadimus likes this.

Tags
hid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page