USB drive format requirements - needs FAT32 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

USB drive format requirements - needs FAT32

I've been in a struggle to get a USB drive to play my music collection in my 2018 Pacifica. I could not get a 64GB drive to be seen, but a 32GB worked fine. It hit me that it was a formatting problem. Windows will default format anything larger than a 32GB as exFAT - which is NOT recognized by the Uconnect audio system.

Under windows, you need to use a 3rd party tool to accomplish a FAT32 format on a large (>32GB) USB drive. I used the GUI version of "fat32format", available at: Ridgecrop Consultants Ltd and it works great. Very simple, no problems.

Once you format your drive as FAT32, and move all your music folders over, all is fine! I used a 64GB microSDHC card with a very compact USB adapter that does not stick out more than about 1/4", so no risk of hitting it and breaking it off. (available on Amazon)

I could not find this format requirement documented anywhere in FCA manuals

Last edited by truckin-on; 04-27-2018 at 07:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 12:12 PM

Garage
You can use NTFS format as well, which should do 64GB. I have to check but I think I have a 64GB in my 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vossman77 View Post
You can use NTFS format as well, which should do 64GB. I have to check but I think I have a 64GB in my 2017.
Thanks - could be, have to try that... Yes, NTFS will do 64GB no problem and is an option during a Windows format operation.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

USB drive format requirements - needs FAT32 or NTFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vossman77 View Post
vossman77 is correct - I just verified that NTFS works fine also, successfully used a 128GB drive with no problem. So just not ExFAT as a format.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 07:40 PM

Garage
I'm using FAT32 in a 128Gb. NTFS is a better format. l may try that.

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Advanced Safety Package is the way to Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

March 2018< 2018 Pacifica Touring L +
2010 - 2018 - Prius III
2008 - 2010 - Honda Fit
Before 2008 - Hyundai Tucson, Sonata, Elantra, Mercury Mystique, Toyota Corolla.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:23 PM

I just bought a 2018 Grand Caravan and am having problems with a USB thumb drive. When I try a 64 GB, it doesn't work at all. When I use a 32 GB:
>FAT 32 It works, but only show the song title, not group album, etc.
>NTFS Doesn't work as all
>XFAT Doesn't work at all
>There doen't seem to be anything in the manual about this.
>I've read on other sites that you have to give the radio a few minutes to "read" the USB thumb drive.
>This is very different from what is already written on this site. So, what am I doing wrong? Please let me know.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimalyson View Post
I just bought a 2018 Grand Caravan and am having problems with a USB thumb drive.
This is very different from what is already written on this site. So, what am I doing wrong? Please let me know.
There may be major differences between the systems in the Grand Caravan and the Pacifica, so I wouldn't expect the instructions for one to apply to the other. If there's a Grand Caravan forum I would suggest asking there.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimalyson View Post
I just bought a 2018 Grand Caravan and am having problems with a USB thumb drive. When I try a 64 GB, it doesn't work at all. When I use a 32 GB:
>FAT 32 It works, but only show the song title, not group album, etc.
>NTFS Doesn't work as all
>XFAT Doesn't work at all
>There doen't seem to be anything in the manual about this.
>I've read on other sites that you have to give the radio a few minutes to "read" the USB thumb drive.
>This is very different from what is already written on this site. So, what am I doing wrong? Please let me know.
It appears the radio in the GC only reads FAT 32 drives. However, the song's metadata (artist, song title, album, etc.) not displaying has nothing to do with the format of the drive.

What type of files (MP3, WAV, WMA, etc.) are you trying to play? Metadata is retrieved from ID3 tags that are saved within MP3 files. WAV files don't have any metadata so nothing will be displayed but the filename itself. If you are playing MP3s, the ID3 tags are probably missing/blank or it's possible that the version of ID3 tags in the files is a different version than what the GC's radio is looking for.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 32K miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in