Music doesn't play while on phone - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Maybe_Wayb

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Music doesn't play while on phone

Hi all, new to the group and wanted to post my first challenge. I've noticed when I'm on the phone via uConnect no music plays even from FM or Sirius. I came from a 2014 Jeep GR and was able to talk on the phone and still listen to music, but haven't been able to figure this out in my 2018 Pacfica Limited. The phone is connected via Bluetooth, but I'm on my airpods and still unable to have music playing at all.

Anyone else encounter this or a way a setting to be able to play the radio while talking on the phone?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 11:31 AM

I'm no expert, but I think this is by design--not only do most people not want to have a conversation while simultaneously listening to music, but music in the background would make the audio quality of the call worse.

I'm not sure if there's a way to override this setting, but all my friends' and family's cars (of all makes and models) also cut off audio (radio, Sat, Podcasts, Audible, etc) if you make or receive a phone call.

Do you talk while driving that often that it's an issue? My mom can't drive anywhere without calling someone on the phone--it's like a smoker needing a cigarette while drinking, I swear. Personally, I don't like talking on the phone at all, but especially not while I'm driving--but we're all different.
SciTchr, CentralFla and DoninDel like this.

2018 Touring L Plus | Copper Pearl | S Pkg
Advanced Safety Tec / Hands-Free Doors / Towing / Keysense
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrod View Post
Hi all, new to the group and wanted to post my first challenge. I've noticed when I'm on the phone via uConnect no music plays even from FM or Sirius. I came from a 2014 Jeep GR and was able to talk on the phone and still listen to music, but haven't been able to figure this out in my 2018 Pacfica Limited. The phone is connected via Bluetooth, but I'm on my airpods and still unable to have music playing at all.
Anyone else encounter this or a way a setting to be able to play the radio while talking on the phone?
Thank you
Welcome to the forum. If you put your van info (year, trim, gas/hybrid, etc.) in the signature line of the UserCP it will show up all the time and help us answer your questions.

I don't think you can talk on the phone and listen to music at the same time using the driver's touchscreen on the Pacifica. Since the 2018 Pacifica has a newer radio unit (than even the 2017 Pacifica), it probably isn't the same as the radio touchscreen 2014 Jeep.

If you have the theater package, you could see whether you could put a music USB stick in the seat back screen unit and play music from there and then use the driver's touchscreen for the phone. It would make sense that kids could watch a movie or use the entertainment screens while a parent is on the phone. You should be able to control the rear screens from the front screen.

Check under Multimedia in the owner's manual.
https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...53Fid%253D9212

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe_Wayb View Post
I'm no expert, but I think this is by design--not only do most people not want to have a conversation while simultaneously listening to music, but music in the background would make the audio quality of the call worse.

I'm not sure if there's a way to override this setting, but all my friends' and family's cars (of all makes and models) also cut off audio (radio, Sat, Podcasts, Audible, etc) if you make or receive a phone call.

Do you talk while driving that often that it's an issue? My mom can't drive anywhere without calling someone on the phone--it's like a smoker needing a cigarette while drinking, I swear. Personally, I don't like talking on the phone at all, but especially not while I'm driving--but we're all different.
Agree.
I thought phone comes over same speakers as are used by radio, so of course radio would be killed when you are on phone.

2018 Touring L
Collapsible spare tire kit
WeatherTech window deflectors, floor mats, and cargo liner
State-issued Vietnam Veteran License plate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoninDel View Post
Agree.
I thought phone comes over same speakers as are used by radio, so of course radio would be killed when you are on phone.
Possibly the OP may be talking about using Bluetooth and being connected to the system, but using the phone itself for the call, not using the speakers and mics on board the vehicle for the call? Otherwise how does that work effectively, blaring the callers voice and music all at once pout of the same speakers?

I would not want to do that. How would I hear the caller or how could the mics perform at all?

I did have a thought last week that only my front speakers should disable for a call and the rears seats should still have the music from rear speakers, this van seems large enough to that to work. Maybe that's how his other cars worked, the rear speakers stayed active?

I never drove a car in my life where the stereo sound was not at least turned down if not off when using the onboard speakers for a phone call and I have rented about 50 different cars in the last few years, but who knows anything is possible, even though it make little sense to me.

2018 Black S Limited EVERY OPTION available.

Last edited by dovetail65; 07-06-2018 at 01:38 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 07:40 AM

It is by design that when you're on a call it cuts out radio audio and uses the van's stereo / speakers / mic.

If you want to have your phone connected to Bluetooth for music through the van but continue to use your headset for calls you you need to uncheck the headset profile under the Uconnect Bluetooth connection properties on your phone.

However then your phone would need to be connected to 2 devices at the same time (car + headset) if your headset is also Bluetooth. Wired one wouldn't have this issue.

Also unknown is if the phone would still silence the streamed music when a call comes in. I imagine it would, so if listening to Bluetooth music when call comes in it would still go quiet. I only really see it working if listening to a source other than Bluetooth when a call comes in.

I can't confirm though because I don't use the system this way. Just a guess based on what I know about phones.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid - In Canada Eh!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torence View Post
My trouble to music is about how to REDACTED, and play on any devices without limitation. We know Spotify free users have right to enjoy music online, no way to download and play all music on any devices. Fortunately, now we can use REDACTED Spotify Music Converter Windows[/URL] to remove DRM protection and convert Spotify to MP3, AAC, WAV, FLAC, M4A, M4B, etc at faster speed with lossless quality. After conversion, it will be much easier for you to enjoy all Spotify music on any devices freely.

First of all, this is illegal.

Second of all, not only is it unethical (and illegal), but it's inappropriate to be advertising crap software developed for the purposes of robbing from a music service AND from the artists who are paid by the number of plays their music receives here on a car forum. It's off topic and should be removed.

EDITED TO ADD "Torence" is a fake advertising account whose sole purpose on this forum is to try and sell piracy software. Please report this user to the mods.

2018 Touring L Plus | Copper Pearl | S Pkg
Advanced Safety Tec / Hands-Free Doors / Towing / Keysense

Last edited by Maybe_Wayb; 04-28-2019 at 11:12 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page