Battery Replacement: Procedure - Page 3 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 01:36 AM
Super Moderator

Stickied.
Longtimemopar likes this.

2017 PACIFICA LIMITED GRANITE CRYSTAL METALLIC, BLACK ALLOY, SAFETY TEC, UCONNECT THEATER/SOUND, 20" WHEELS. DELIVERED 09/12/16.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciTchr View Post
Thanks for giving me an idea of a battery that might work. I'm expecting that mine will need replaced sometime. Date of van manufacture? (on driver's door edge) ESS?
No ESS. Date of manufacture was September 2016. New battery is working great BTW. No more door unavailable messages.
SciTchr and Longtimemopar like this.
post #23 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
In step 5 (has the #2 in the diagram), it says to remove the cables from the prefuse assembly. How do you do that? In the photo with the green arrow, something needs to be pressed to release the cables?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0729.jpg (253.6 KB, 75 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 3.14.04 PM.png (363.6 KB, 60 views)

2017 Pacifica
Touring L
Billet Silver
Package 27L
mfr. 5-17

Last edited by Longtimemopar; 10-02-2018 at 03:26 PM.

post #24 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimemopar View Post
In step 5 (has the #2 in the diagram), it says to remove the cables from the prefuse assembly. How do you do that? In the photo with the green arrow, something needs to be pressed to release the cables?
I didn't do that step and was able to do the change no problem. I assume you would want to do that to make it easier to get the old battery out since the prefuse assembly is cumbersome with not much slack.
Longtimemopar likes this.
post #25 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
If you are in the no start situation and unable to get a jump start, a good piece of equipment to have on hand is something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077HY7SFJ...v_ov_lig_dp_it
A portable jump start.
I believe @m0ebius604 recommended it in the hybrid section.
Another reason to have this immediately available is, if your battery is dead and the emergency brake is on (it is electric) you won't even be able to push the van without supplying power to turn off the emergency brake.

This thread is supposed to provide information. If the information is incorrect or needs additional input, please add to it to help others out.

2017 Pacifica
Touring L
Billet Silver
Package 27L
mfr. 5-17
post #26 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimemopar View Post
If you are in the no start situation and unable to get a jump start, a good piece of equipment to have on hand is something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077HY7SFJ...v_ov_lig_dp_it
A portable jump start.
I believe @m0ebius604 recommended it in the hybrid section.
Another reason to have this immediately available is, if your battery is dead and the emergency brake is on (it is electric) you won't even be able to push the van without supplying power to turn off the emergency brake.

This thread is supposed to provide information. If the information is incorrect or needs additional input, please add to it to help others out.
I saw a caution (not sure if in this forum) about storing these jumpers in hot cars. I don't remember if it is a hazard or it just drains the battery quickly.

This thread from a few years ago has some interesting comments, but they seem to be mostly for small (flashlight) batteries, but one post where someone tested temperatures on a car in the sun for 3 hours was very interesting -- cloth seats - 138 degrees! Anybody leave li ions in car during summer?

This is a chatty article about leaving items in hot cars -- https://www.businessinsider.com/neve...hot-day-2018-8 --- they note that Apple says after 95 degrees, their batteries can permanently degrade. (those of you who keep water bottles in the car, see #3.......)

Anyone have more specific information about safely storing these chargers? I would guess under floor if the Stow & Go seat is up is the best.

2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus
Build date Oct 2016 - Delivered 11/30/16
post #27 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 12:55 AM

Garage
I'd like to share my 2 cents here, of which I hope has some common sense.

Lithium Batteries are a key component of Hybrid and Electric cars - They are always exposed to "parking in heat". If you live in Phoenix, your vehicles Lithium batteries are going to get just as hot as one stored inside the cabin. The minimum warranty on the hybrids Lithium battery is 8years, regardless if you are living in Phoenix or the Arctic.

Lets look at a lead acid battery:

it needs to be stored plugged in 24/7 on a float charger or it will degrade and need replacement within 6 months. If you have it properly pluged in (in a cool dry place on 120v), it will not be with you when you need it. if you fail to maintain a lead acid battery and it becomes damaged, it will not charge and will not help you in a jam if abused.

Lead acid batterys can short and cause fire too.

If you keep lead acid in the vehicle you'll find that lead acid boosters are bulky, heavy, and needs to be stored on the floor in the trunk in almost all cases where it will be subjected to heat and vibration/floping/banging around - this knocks the lead dioxide off the plates, when this happens it destroys that part of the battery instantly. According to Jump-n-Carry's documents the lead acid jump pack, temperatures above 70f (21c) "decrease amperage output". You will need to make a mounting fixture and connect the "in vehicle" DC 12v outlet adapter to ensure any life span.

Lead acid boosters rarely last 4years anyway with the best treatment and are usually >$100

So how does this compare? Lets look at Lithium Ion batteries:

Lithium does not like to be stored on a constant charge, but it is recommended to be recharged every 6months. Fits in the glovebox or console and so is always with you. Can last 2-4 years shelf life with the slowest rate of decay among battery types - but will degrade the overall maximum power available as time passes. BUT it will charge, and will get you out if a jam when you need it if its abused. Even if its one use per charge instead of 20.

Lithium-Ion can short and cause fire too.

Fits in the glove box or console. Can be recharged with the "in vehicle" DC 12v outlet adaptor from the glovebox or console. Very vibration/flop/banging around proof in its case. A randomly polled Lithium Ion Jumper packs instructions say to avoid 149f (65c) and above temps or reduced battery life may result - these temperatures will cause physical harm and scalding to bare human flesh.

Can last 4-10years with proper use. And a good one can be had for <$100

Honestly, for around $60 its not an issue for me to let it to suffer.. they are way more life proof than the old lead acid models.

But to each there own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciTchr View Post
With a gas Pacifica battery failure, a replacement battery (or with ESS possibly an additional battery) may get someone back on the road and can be a relatively easy and quick fix if the standard type of battery is available somewhere. If I were told that a battery under warranty was on back order and another battery was available, I would probably buy an available battery that would work and not worry about the prorated part of the battery warranty. It wouldn't take long to spend more than that amount on a rental if a loaner wasn't provided through the dealer or the extended warranty.

Thanks @Longtimemopar for trying to find out the information to replace a battery yourself.
@II Kings 9:20 used a Mopar replacement 730 CCA battery for the main battery in a 2017 gas Pacifica under warranty.

A hybrid Pacifica battery is a different story and there are many other threads for hybrid battery issues.
Thanks for reminding owners to check their manuals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry17 View Post
I saw a caution (not sure if in this forum) about storing these jumpers in hot cars. I don't remember if it is a hazard or it just drains the battery quickly.

This thread from a few years ago has some interesting comments, but they seem to be mostly for small (flashlight) batteries, but one post where someone tested temperatures on a car in the sun for 3 hours was very interesting -- cloth seats - 138 degrees! Anybody leave li ions in car during summer?

This is a chatty article about leaving items in hot cars -- https://www.businessinsider.com/neve...hot-day-2018-8 --- they note that Apple says after 95 degrees, their batteries can permanently degrade. (those of you who keep water bottles in the car, see #3.......)

Anyone have more specific information about safely storing these chargers? I would guess under floor if the Stow & Go seat is up is the best.
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_3276.PNG (91.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: png IMG_3277.PNG (209.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: png IMG_3278.PNG (114.9 KB, 21 views)
Longtimemopar and sjambok like this.

-2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
-British Columbia Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by m0ebius604; 10-19-2018 at 01:08 AM.
post #28 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 06:26 PM

Thanks @m0ebius604 -- very interesting.

There was a discussion on 12V (lead) batteries a while ago and someone brought up a study, but the results were not documented clearly and could be interpreted to mean you could never start your car on hot day, so I know "studies" don't always present a realistic path forward.

But with all the sensational publicity when someone's laptop battery or e-cigarette goes up in flames, I was wondering if someone did have some definitive answers about safe storage. I was more concerned about hazard than failure. There are untold millions, if not billions of the things around, so to expect zero failures is unrealistic, but we don't want to deliberately go into a danger zone.

post #29 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 07:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks @m0ebius604 I was wondering if someone did have some definitive answers about safe storage.
Thats something I cant offer.

Quote:
I was more concerned about hazard than failure. There are untold millions, if not billions of the things around, so to expect zero failures is unrealistic, but we don't want to deliberately go into a danger zone.
You said it. There are untold millions or even billions of lithium based devices in the world.

The reality is that driving may be the most dangerous activity most people are exposed to on a daily basis.. We hurdle ourselves through space and time in confidence (or ignorance) of our safety. Driving down a road at 80mph, when you pass a car doing the same speed the closing speed is 160mph. We trust other drivers competency with our lives and the lives of our loved ones. So choosing to ride in a 16kW lithium powered vehicle and being worried about a lithium booster pack seems a little counter intuitive IMO.

I have 2 Apple iPhone 3GS's (from 2009) that sat for 3years, charged up and worked for 4years and one had to be recycled because the battery started swelling. Nothing as dramatic as a thermal event or anything, just over a month noticed the case crack and then spread a bit. The other is still working fine.

I believe lithium is solid. They had a production issue with the Samsung packs. Stuff happens. Planes crash with the highest of standards.

Ultimately, if you own a Hybrid - I would think you have already accepted that Lithium has little to worry about in the big picture.
stop-eject and Longtimemopar like this.

-2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
-British Columbia Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #30 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ebius604 View Post
[EDITED]
.....So choosing to ride in a 16kW lithium powered vehicle and being worried about a lithium booster pack seems a little counter intuitive IMO....
Agreed that driving is one of the most risky routine things we do. But the fact that we are engaging in one risky behavior from whatever motivation does not imply that we should gratuitously add another risk on top of it --- I was thinking more along the lines of added hazards that we do have some more control over than other drivers.

I have a healthy respect for battery power. Early in my career, I worked with locomotives (up to 3600 HP V16's) and the batteries that could cold crank those diesel power plants. And in engineering school, in a new lab with DC circuits powered by a battery bank, a mislabeled receptacle led us to create a dead short -- the wires melted before the circuit breaker could react. I know how fast and powerfully batteries can discharge in a dangerous manner.

So, despite the decades that elapsed since those experiences, I remain respectful of the high energy content of these portable power packs. RT[F]M is a constant refrain, and overlooking storage cautions is an easy mistake.* But I am somewhat reassured that the lack of headlines and consumer alerts are an empirical marker that these booster units are relatively safe in a normal consumer environment.

---------------------------------------
* What is the most frequent lie in real life? "I have read and agree to the terms / conditions / license" Sidebar: An old but still relevant primer in what you may have agreed to is at
https://www.newstatesman.com/science...s-youve-agreed
m0ebius604 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page