Battery Replacement: Procedure - Page 4 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 09:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry17 View Post
Agreed that driving is one of the most risky routine things we do. But the fact that we are engaging in one risky behavior from whatever motivation does not imply that we should gratuitously add another risk on top of it --- I was thinking more along the lines of added hazards that we do have some more control over than other drivers.

I have a healthy respect for battery power. Early in my career, I worked with locomotives (up to 3600 HP V16's) and the batteries that could cold crank those diesel power plants. And in engineering school, in a new lab with DC circuits powered by a battery bank, a mislabeled receptacle led us to create a dead short -- the wires melted before the circuit breaker could react. I know how fast and powerfully batteries can discharge in a dangerous manner.

So, despite the decades that elapsed since those experiences, I remain respectful of the high energy content of these portable power packs. RT[F]M is a constant refrain, and overlooking storage cautions is an easy mistake.* But I am somewhat reassured that the lack of headlines and consumer alerts are an empirical marker that these booster units are relatively safe in a normal consumer environment.

---------------------------------------
* What is the most frequent lie in real life? "I have read and agree to the terms / conditions / license" Sidebar: An old but still relevant primer in what you may have agreed to is at
https://www.newstatesman.com/science...s-youve-agreed
Everyone has to decide for themselves the risk.

The materials are manufactured with North American safety standards and comply to our laws requirements.. and as you point out "the lack of headlines" should have a some merrit considering the rampant abuse of the millions of lithium devices out there.

Agreed about the terms and conditions. If you want to participate, you must accept. Although I am skeptical how some of the most unreasonable terms and conditions would hold up in court - I am no lawyer.

-2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
-British Columbia Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ebius604 View Post
Everyone has to decide for themselves the risk.

The materials are manufactured with North American safety standards and comply to our laws requirements.. and as you point out "the lack of headlines" should have a some merrit considering the rampant abuse of the millions of lithium devices out there.
|
... just this week, the NYPD had to pull thousands of bodycams because one started smoking (no injuries.) But those batteries don't really concern me.

I think that if I decide that a booster pack is a good idea, I'll just put it down in the Stow & Go well. I think that in the NY area it won't get excessive heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ebius604 View Post
...... Agreed about the terms and conditions. If you want to participate, you must accept. Although I am skeptical how some of the most unreasonable terms and conditions would hold up in court - I am no lawyer.
It seems our esteemed judicial system IS letting those restrictions on class action suits and forced arbitration stand in many cases.......
m0ebius604 and sjambok like this.

2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus
Build date Oct 2016 - Delivered 11/30/16
post #33 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetter View Post
I just replaced the battery today on my 17 Touring L which was a rental in its prior duty (I bought it with 46k miles earlier this month). I went with an Interstate at Costco at $143.99. The procedure was pretty cut and dry- I was worried about the intake thingy but it came off without a problem. 10mm on all the nuts.

The van had died a week after I bought it. Since I knew the van was on the dealer lot since May I put it on a tender until fully charged but that did not seem to help as it was very inconsistent with doors opening when the ignition was off and the horn was muffled when setting the alarm from the keyfob. It also had a hard time turning over at start.
hmmm, I wonder if that battery is an AGM battery. His van doesn't have ESS. Judging by the price, I think it might not be. The AGM batteries seem to be more expensive than a regular lead/acid battery. But the big starting AGM battery does seem to be available at many locations. Finding the smaller ESS battery seems to be more difficult. Tried doing different kinds of searches for it and I think the only result is from Forum member @sjambok . I went to the Batteries Plus site and it doesn't seem to mention an ESS battery.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 10.11.26 PM.png (369.1 KB, 34 views)

2017 Pacifica
Touring L
Billet Silver
Package 27L
mfr. 5-17

post #34 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimemopar View Post
hmmm, I wonder if that battery is an AGM battery. His van doesn't have ESS. Judging by the price, I think it might not be. The AGM batteries seem to be more expensive than a regular lead/acid battery. But the big starting AGM battery does seem to be available at many locations. Finding the smaller ESS battery seems to be more difficult. Tried doing different kinds of searches for it and I think the only result is from Forum member @sjambok . I went to the Batteries Plus site and it doesn't seem to mention an ESS battery.
Non-ESS vans don't have an AGM battery.

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build
post #35 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciTchr View Post
Non-ESS vans don't have an AGM battery.
....and the price > $$$
also notice the lower right corner. Glad I don't need one today
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-11-22 at 1.39.40 PM.png (211.0 KB, 54 views)

2017 Pacifica
Touring L
Billet Silver
Package 27L
mfr. 5-17
post #36 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 08:54 PM

Garage
anyone know the cost of the original equipment battery?
post #37 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 01:45 PM

ESS AUX Battery Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimemopar View Post
I would still like someone that has the service manual to tell the exact steps for replacing the battery/batteries. It looks like there is one nut that holds the 'power distribution center' to the battery. Do you remove the ESS battery before the start battery? Or the other way around? Will the Pacifica run without the ESS battery? What is a replacement for the ESS battery?
As I didn't see ESS AUX replacement battery specifics here I wanted to share what I found. This thread helped a lot when my recently purchased 2017 Pacifica (gas) displayed the "Start/Stop Not Ready - Service..." alert during the first month. I don't have a manufacturer warranty so I removed the AUX battery (see pics in thread above - thanks!) and local Autozone confirmed it was bad. The van runs with the bad ESS battery - the Start/Stop just won't work. It just didn't look right to try it without any ESS battery so I put it back in the van for now and ordered a new battery. If you really hate ESS and don't mind the alert on your dash could you just leave the dead one in? It's AGM so it shouldn't leak but that didn't seem wise.

The OEM battery is a Deka battery made by East Penn and is an AGM 200 CCA 12 volt battery. Their website has helpful info about AUX batteries and why you might not want to use an alternative similar motorcycle battery (ETX). Look for AUX AGM batteries at - eastpennmanufacturing.com/applications/automotive/

Most warranties on batteries of this type said 6 months. The Chrysler dealer said 24 months but the cost was 50% higher and they may require $200 to install it too - I didn't ask.
I found mine at batteriesasap.com. I'll try to come back and let you know how it works.
Attached Images
File Type: png Deka AGM AUX.png (269.6 KB, 42 views)

White 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Touring (gas)

Last edited by CwaltSTX; 01-05-2019 at 01:49 PM.
post #38 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 11:00 AM

Garage
Conclusion, there is not any replacement for the crappy Mopar Battery. I hope that after two years of having this problem they have done something to fix the issue. I'm going today to the dealer to inspect my ESS battery.

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Advanced Safety Package is the way to Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

March 2018< 2018 Pacifica Touring L +
2010 - 2018 - Prius III
2008 - 2010 - Honda Fit
Before 2008 - Hyundai Tucson, Sonata, Elantra, Mercury Mystique, Toyota Corolla.
post #39 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 10:23 PM

Update: As I mentioned earlier, I attempted to obtain an OEM Deka AUX battery from BatteriesASAP.com. I finally did receive a battery, about a month later - not asap. It was not the Deka battery - they said Deka was unavailable from the manufacturer - they sent a similar Big Dog AGM battery and refunded my money. It arrived with evidence it had been dropped both on it's bottom and on the very bent negative terminal. Luckily the posts from the old battery still screwed into the new one. I took the battery to Autozone and they charged it up first before I installed it. Once installed the Start/Stop functions normally. As this battery was free I'm not that concerned about it's lifespan. The Deka website literature talked about how their OEM battery is better for AUX purposes in vehicles as it has individually vented cells (to keep it cooler?) - not sure if this really matters or not - but I have no idea what kind of venting this "Big Dog" battery has. So I may be back again in year to try this all over again.

White 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Touring (gas)
post #40 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN85234333 View Post
anyone know the cost of the original equipment battery?
Mopar battery part number BB0H7730AB $173. ( CONVENTIONAL, Main, 730 Amp, 750 CCA, 730 Amp) was put in my 2017 non ESS van as a replacement for OEM battery that recently failed under warranty.

You can check the Mopar site to see which battery would go in your van if you need an AGM battery by searching parts and the price will be there.

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build

Last edited by SciTchr; 02-15-2019 at 12:32 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page