DIY - I had to replace a Uconnect Theater LCD - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

DIY - I had to replace a Uconnect Theater LCD

I can't believe these LCD screens suffer from BURN IN! I'm not sure how it happened because my screens generally stay closed/off but a Shania Twain CD screen was permanently burned in on the passenger side. I tried using one of those Burn-In Repair DVDs that alternate between full black and full white for an entire day but the problem persisted.
4K miles out of warranty and the dealer wanted $560 for the part and another $240 to install - $800 bucks!

I found the MOPAR part 5MH00PD2AC on-line for $325. I would have preferred to replace just the internal LCD panel, a CHUNGHWA CLAA101WG01 XW (see thumbnail) but I could not find that exact part number on the Internet. I did find similar CHUNGWHA panels notably the CLAA101wa01a ranging in price from $28 to $48. If I could have found an exact LCD part number match I would have done so. I opted to buy the entire MOPAR Uconnect Theater screen in and by installing it myself the final price was still slightly less than half the dealer price.

Steps
1- Pry off the two decorative doors
2- Remove 4 Torx T20 long sheet metal screws. These are the only screws attaching the entire back of the seat...everything else is held on by large push clips.
3- Work your fingers behind the plastic near the clips shown and pull hard starting at the top and working down.
4- Remove two short Torx machine screws on the back of the monitor. Disconnect two electrical connectors. The monitor is free to slide up and away. Note where the lower tab slides in.
5- The new monitor is installed in reverse order. Easy.

The final two pictures are of the inside of my old monitor after the back plastic clamshell was removed (not shown). Note the LCD manufacturer and part number.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg removedoor.jpeg (50.6 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpeg long_black_machine_srews.jpeg (65.9 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpeg PryPullPanelOff.jpeg (120.8 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpeg twoscrewsand twoconnectors.jpeg (83.6 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpeg reinstall.jpeg (72.1 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpeg success.jpeg (72.8 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpeg LCDPanel.jpeg (80.7 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpeg InsideTheScreen.jpeg (98.9 KB, 110 views)

Brett
2017 Gas Pacifica Limited, Vel Red/Black/Alloy
Tow, Vac, Adv SafetyTec, UConnect Theater, 18" Wheels

Last edited by BrettP; 10-24-2018 at 07:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 07:47 AM

Garage
Wow... Great Job! Sorry about the burn in issue in the first place, but if it happens to ours I can only hope it is Shania Twain on our screen. Great singer and overall wonderful person! When my iMac developed a screen burn in due to the screen saver app failing to engage, I just fixed the screen saver app and the burn in went away in a couple of hours. I'm sure it depends on the actual screen design. The iMac isn't a touch screen. In any case, your approach saved you quite a few dollars and your process description with photos was fantastic.
CentralFla and Longtimemopar like this.

2017 Pacifica Limited
Red, Fully Loaded 8-Passenger
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 09:52 AM

Garage
That means that even if you do not have the CD and the main menu is showing up in the pack that may get burned. Did you keep the displays in Up (ready) position? I keep them always down, I believe that in that way the screen are off. May be I'm wrong.

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Advanced Safety Package is the way to Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

March 2018< 2018 Pacifica Touring L +
2010 - 2018 - Prius III
2008 - 2010 - Honda Fit
Before 2008 - Hyundai Tucson, Sonata, Elantra, Mercury Mystique, Toyota Corolla.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

@BrettP . Your prize for this thread is a sticky. Yay! Thanks for the write up and sorry about the burn in.
BrettP, Longtimemopar and GoWFO like this.

2017 PACIFICA LIMITED GRANITE CRYSTAL METALLIC, BLACK ALLOY, SAFETY TEC, UCONNECT THEATER/SOUND, 20" WHEELS. DELIVERED 09/12/16.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 11:57 AM

Do you have any more pics of the screen? I can find some same manufacturer and same size screens but the connectors may be off. There may be a replacement model.number or minor variation that still works. That would be good info to know as these vehicles age. You can buy a lot of 50 screens online for around $150 on eBay. We just need to know they are going to work.

What are you going to do with the old screen assembly?

2017 Pacifica Limited (gas)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisejd View Post
Wow... Great Job! Sorry about the burn in issue in the first place, but if it happens to ours I can only hope it is Shania Twain on our screen.
I feel the same about Shania. I jokingly asked my wife to look at the Uconnect screen and verify the burn-in just in case it was my retina that had Shania burned in, haha.
wisejd and Longtimemopar like this.

Brett
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal1228 View Post
Do you have any more pics of the screen?
... What are you going to do with the old screen assembly?
I can take a couple more pictures when I get back in town. I agree the difference might just be connectors or automotive temperature range, etc.. I posted the picture of the LCD make/model sticker with the hope that someone here is a CHUNGHWA LCD panel expert and can shed some light on where to source an exact replacement. It doesnít look like it would be hard to replace the panel.

I plan to hang on to the screen. Other than burn-in it works fine and is a good source of spare parts for the other two in case I lose a backlight, power board, or scratch the case, etc..

Brett
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by citanic View Post
That means that even if you do not have the CD and the main menu is showing up in the pack that may get burned. Did you keep the displays in Up (ready) position? I keep them always down, I believe that in that way the screen are off. May be I'm wrong.
I thought that too. My screens are always down. Sometimes they appear to go off as I rotate them down but other times they are down but I still see that they are lit. Weird. Now I am going to tap the Turn off Screen button.

Brett
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by irpilot View Post
@BrettP . Your prize for this thread is a sticky. Yay!
My first sticky...and just 4000 miles out of warranty! 36k went by faster than I predicted when I opted for no extended warranty thinking I would trade in around 2019. Time to pay the piper!
irpilot likes this.

Brett

Last edited by BrettP; 10-24-2018 at 06:23 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 08:05 PM

A few questions...

Do you know how many pins are on the ribbon cable connecting the LCD to the board? 40?

Is the digitizer (touch screen) removable from the LCD itself?

2017 Pacifica Limited (gas)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in