Keysense on Non Keysense Keys? - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Keysense on Non Keysense Keys?

I have a new to us 2018 Pacifica Limited.

It's factory equipped with keysense and I came with 3 keys.
Key 1 and Key 2 are normal as far as the fob case goes. Key 3 says keysense.

Key 1 works Normally (with exception of radio memory, i'll come back to that in a moment)
Key 2 is identifying as KeySense when you use it in the car, which I see as an issue.
Key 3 is identifying as Key Sense (as expected).

When we try to change the memory settings on the radio, it remembers them for a period of time (during the day at least), but then reverts back to the previous memory settings. I suspect this is after uconnect does a complete shutdown overnight. I have methodically set the same radio settings for both memory profile 1 and 2 with key #1 to make sure that wasn't the culprit. But it still fails.

I took the car to Chapman in Las Vegas Nevada yesterday for this issue, and to resolve why Key #2 is identifying as keysense although it's not a Keysense fob.

I got a phone call today from the service adviser, telling me that the car was ready to pick up. He had a note from the technician saying that the Keysense key is the master key and we should be driving the car with it all of the time. It would set the "settings" for the other keys. I told him this was opposite what the manual said, to which his reply inferred that the manual was probably wrong. "he could only go by what his technician says"

Anyone run into this before? I"m going to go pick up the car later this afternoon, and take the manual with me. My hope is he was reading the instructions from his tech wrong, but I'm not confident of that.

@ChryslerCares How do I escalate this while they have the car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 03:05 PM

The technician's assertion that the keysense fob is the master is utterly ridiculous. Have the technician show you in writing (e.g. FCA service manual) where the it says the keysense is a master. The technician is unable to diagnose and fix your problem so is giving you a BS answer.
Waldo, froglips and djdavet like this.

2017 Pacifica Limited (built May 2016)
Vacuum delete, KeySense and Tow
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 03:23 PM

I have keysense and checked my fobs. The keysense identifier is in the cover that is removed to replace the battery. Given you bought your Pacifica used, you don't know the heritage of the key fobs provided. I suppose it is possible that one of the original fobs was replaced (your key #2) with a keysense fob and the cover was swapped out. A long shot but possible I guess.

Easy to check. Remove the cover following the instructions in the manual for battery replacement. The fob part number is printed on the inside case at about the 1 o'clock position of the battery, holding fob horizontally with the battery to the left.

Regular Fob - 68217832AC
KeySense Fob - 68238689AC

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 03:37 PM

And another thing....(can you tell I'm really irked by this incompetent technician and/or service adviser)…
the fobs send a unique identifier to the van. The van associates the settings in memory to the identification of the linked fob. The keysense fob has nothing to do with the settings of other fobs.
Bond007 likes this.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGurutx View Post

Key 1 works Normally (with exception of radio memory, i'll come back to that in a moment)

Key 2 is identifying as KeySense when you use it in the car, which I see as an issue.

When we try to change the memory settings on the radio, it remembers them for a period of time (during the day at least), but then reverts back to the previous memory settings. I suspect this is after uconnect does a complete shutdown overnight. I have methodically set the same radio settings for both memory profile 1 and 2 with key #1 to make sure that wasn't the culprit. But it still fails.

I took the car to Chapman in Las Vegas Nevada yesterday for this issue, and to resolve why Key #2 is identifying as keysense although it's not a Keysense fob.

I got a phone call today from the service adviser, telling me that the car was ready to pick up. He had a note from the technician saying that the Keysense key is the master key and we should be driving the car with it all of the time. It would set the "settings" for the other keys. I told him this was opposite what the manual said, to which his reply inferred that the manual was probably wrong. "he could only go by what his technician says"

Anyone run into this before? I"m going to go pick up the car later this afternoon, and take the manual with me. My hope is he was reading the instructions from his tech wrong, but I'm not confident of that.

One of the most ridiculous statements made by an incompetent service staff. I have a similar car as yours with the three keys. The regular keys are the “master keys” and the keysense is for teen drivers/ valet / guest driver. It has a speed limitation as well as limitations on Uconnect volume settings, etc.
Does your key #2 has speed restriction? Max possible speed is 85mph with keysense key (can be lowered with settings but not raised). Also it starts chiming whenever you exceed 10mph less than the set speed (which is quite irritating BTW).
You should send pm to @ChryslerCares if you haven’t done that already.
Did you buy the car from a Chrysler dealership? In that case they should replace your defective key for free.
And also avoid that dealership in future (for the good health of your car).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
froglips likes this.

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Shwanee - Like you I get extremely irritated with support staff that kind of make it up as they go.
I did PM Chryslercares at the time of the original post. Will see if/when they respond back to me.

Update #1 - So I went back this afternoon to return the loaner, and took the manual with me. SA wasn't real interested but did go get his service tech to "explain" it to me. Technician did admit that "he was still learning keysense" so maybe he wasn't 100%, but his understanding was the keysense key was essentially the "Dad" key. I asked him to come show me in the car. Showed him the manual, which they had also printed out the keysense page from. Told him lets go through each key. So this time i get
Key 1 - No keysense indicator/max audio, as i expected. Asked him well, if the keysense was the dad key shouldn't this one be restricted.
Key 2 - Keysense indicator, and restricted audio
Key 3 - Labeled Keysense, no indicator and no restriction.
So I'm not sure if they actually did something with Key 3 accidentally or what. I've remember seeing a different Uconnect post that allegedly you could designate a key as keysense using the chrysler computer connection?
He thinks the memory for radio presets is behaving, but agreed that the keys were inconsistent.

I have also been having issues with getting the USB video to work. It worked for a while, but then stopped. My USB that was functional is now completely dead, unreadable by computer even. And other drives don't work. I asked if they had a test USB, and he said they did not.

He said he could go ahead and order a replacement radio as long as we agreed that if it still does it, then he's right in his understanding of the functionality.

So now I have to go figure out explicit steps and wait period for the radio memory to revert back to these other settings.
And see how long it takes for a replacement to show up.
Bond007 likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:19 AM

I've only had my Pacifica two weeks but thought I would throw in my experience with the KeySense fob.

My car had 2000 miles on it when purchased and I only received one standard fob that day. The other two fobs were at another location and were being sent to my local dealer. Two days later I went to pick up and received two more fobs - one without the Keysense logo on back, and one stating Keysense. Both these second and third fobs still had Chrysler tags on them of how to use to enter and startup the car.

When the salesman handed me the fobs he asked if I wanted the Keysense code reset on the car so I could use the KeySense fob if needed. Even though I don't have any young people driving my car, I figured better to have my own code rather than an unusable code.

So off my car and the Keysense Fob went to service. When the car was returned to me, my radio presents were all changed back to the ones set on the car when I purchased it. And because the KeySense fob was the one service had started the car with, I couldn't increase the radio volume. I stopped the car, took my regular fob closer to the ignition, restarted and all was as it should be. Just wondering if maybe your Keysense code was reset maybe you would be starting new with the presets and the USB.

Love all these new fangled electronic gizmos, but only when they work as we think they should!

Quote:
Shwanee - Like you I get extremely irritated with support staff that kind of make it up as they go.
I did PM Chryslercares at the time of the original post. Will see if/when they respond back to me.

Update #1 - So I went back this afternoon to return the loaner, and took the manual with me. SA wasn't real interested but did go get his service tech to "explain" it to me. Technician did admit that "he was still learning keysense" so maybe he wasn't 100%, but his understanding was the keysense key was essentially the "Dad" key. I asked him to come show me in the car. Showed him the manual, which they had also printed out the keysense page from. Told him lets go through each key. So this time i get
Key 1 - No keysense indicator/max audio, as i expected. Asked him well, if the keysense was the dad key shouldn't this one be restricted.
So I'm not sure if they actually did something with Key 3 accidentally or what. I've remember seeing a different Uconnect post that allegedly you could designate a key as keysense using the chrysler computer connection?
He thinks the memory for radio presets is behaving, but agreed that the keys were inconsistent.

I have also been having issues with getting the USB video to work. It worked for a while, but then stopped. My USB that was functional is now completely dead, unreadable by computer even. And other drives don't work. I asked if they had a test USB, and he said they did not.

He said he could go ahead and order a replacement radio as long as we agreed that if it still does it, then he's right in his understanding of the functionality.

So now I have to go figure out explicit steps and wait period for the radio memory to revert back to these other settings.

Current 2018 Chrysler Pacifica Velvet Red Limited - I'll fill in options soon, but I think the only thing missing was a spare tire.

prev 2016 Chrysler T&C Touring-L
prev 2012 Chrysler T&C Touring-L
prev 2007 Chrysler T&C Touring
prev 2005 Dodge Caravan SXT
prev 2000 Dodge Gr Caravan Sport
prev 1995 Plym Voyager
Hubby had mid 80s Plym Voyager
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:

From your description it sounds like just the back covers of the key #2 and key #3 were swapped. In that case the solution could be straightforward. Did you check out the part numbers as described by Shawnee?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
daniel9478 and Joyxpac like this.

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:37 AM

There is no technical difference between a standard fob and a keysense fob. Only the pretty plaque on the rear of the key which is to help the owner identify it as the keysense key.

The pairing or registration of the key to the car is what determines how the fob behaves.

It sounds like they did in fact repair your issue, even if by mistake, as you now have 2 standard keys and 1 keysense key (as recognized by the vehicle).

As mentioned above, I'd swap the keysense back cover to the key now being recognized as keysense and carry on.

More keys can be added to the vehicle, and any combination of standard and keysense keys can be programmed to the vehicle as long as there is at least one standard / master / admin key, whatever you want to call it.

If you have a keysense key you can set the PIN and restrictions to that key in UConnect, however to my knowledge a dealer is needed to change a key from keysense to standard or vice-versa. I believe a dealer is also needed to add additional keys, I haven't seen any DIYs for adding fobs.

While on the topic, somewhat related is I've also read that keys can only be paired to a vehicle ONCE. Meaning you cannot buy a used key online and have it paired up to your vehicle. If buying a used key for anything other than to replace the casing it's buyer beware.

None of this is from personal experience with this vehicle. Just from reading into the subject.
Bond007 likes this.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid - In Canada Eh!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Hi MacGurutx,
We have received your private message and responded back in order to receive some additional information from you. We look forward to assisting you further.
Lydia
Chrysler Social Care Specialist

Tags
keysense

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page