open dots wireless charging - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

open dots wireless charging

Just got a new 2018 hybrid Touring L and it had wireless charging. The open dots tech sounds better than Qi, but no one seems to use it. Is it a dying tech? Also I have the original rubber mat that goes in the console. As my phones don't support wireless charging, and they don't make open dot cases for them, how hard is it just to remove it. The original rubber mat would work better for using that space for storage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emedlin View Post
Just got a new 2018 hybrid Touring L and it had wireless charging. The open dots tech sounds better than Qi, but no one seems to use it. Is it a dying tech? Also I have the original rubber mat that goes in the console. As my phones don't support wireless charging, and they don't make open dot cases for them, how hard is it just to remove it. The original rubber mat would work better for using that space for storage.
Super easy just a little plug to unclip, mine even had the stuff in it for the insulation around the hole and just put the rubber mat back down. It’s annoying they sell this and there’s no actual phones or phone cases for it. It’s like beta-max vs vhs I suppose or hd-dvd vs Blu-ray

2018 Pacifica Limited Billet Silver Metallic Clear Coat
Uconnect® Theater with Streaming and Sound
Interior Protection Package
Trailer Tow Group
Advanced SafetyTec Group
KeySense
8–Passenger Seating & 20–Inch Wheel Group
Delete Vacuum / Add Spare Tire
Front and Rear Splash Guards
Engine Block Heater
Lifetime Warranty w/ $100 Deductible
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily View Post
Super easy just a little plug to unclip, mine even had the stuff in it for the insulation around the hole and just put the rubber mat back down. It’s annoying they sell this and there’s no actual phones or phone cases for it. It’s like beta-max vs vhs I suppose or hd-dvd vs Blu-ray

Is the plug under the console or on the bottom of the mat? My wife has the car right now so I can not look. Maybe I should just find a install video for it. At least I know it is easy to remove now, thanks. Maybe I could remove it and sale it on ebay for a little extra cash.

If I were to keep it is there any risk of fire if I lay something metal on the pad? I know open dots uses direct contact to charge unlike Qi, but I don't know how it knows what to put power to.

Last edited by Emedlin; 05-20-2019 at 10:10 AM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

I found one on sale on ebay that showed the plug. Looks like it just plugs into a hole in the console under the mat as the wire isn't that long. It really does look super simple.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:12 AM

Garage
I have a 2017 Pacifica Limited (gas) with the wireless phone charger. My iPhone 7 Plus doesn't have wireless charging so I purchased an Open Dots FLI-Charge Open Dots Case for about $85. I used my original Chrysler "Coupon" (which is simply your VIN) to acquire a device that converts the Open Dots technology to Qi. This device just sits on top of the charging pad and then you place your iPhone 8 or newer on the converter device. I did look at the possibility of removing the wireless charging rubber pad with the original rubber pad and it did look easy. I however couldn't see letting a $250+ option go to waist. When I was using the FLI-Charge Case I also had purchased an Open-Dots charging pad for on my dresser to charge the iPhone/FLI-Charge Case each night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4993.jpg (164.9 KB, 32 views)

2017 Pacifica Limited
Red, Fully Loaded 8-Passenger
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

None of our phones support wireless charging. They also don't make open dot cases for them. So, it doesn't do us much good. I removed it yesterday and put the standard rubber mat back in. Super simple. Just had to pull the foam off the plug some to get to it and and unplug it. I think it had just one release tab to mash as you pull it apart. I am thinking about putting it on ebay for around $100. That would pay for a Weathertech rear cargo mat that we would rather have.

Also the url on the voucher coupon doesn't work, http://www.mopar.com/wirelesscharging. Although I think I found the new site at Redeem Voucher - shopsurfaceenergy.com Surface Energy Charging Cases and Accessories
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emedlin View Post
None of our phones support wireless charging. They also don't make open dot cases for them. So, it doesn't do us much good. I removed it yesterday and put the standard rubber mat back in. Super simple. Just had to pull the foam off the plug some to get to it and and unplug it. I think it had just one release tab to mash as you pull it apart. I am thinking about putting it on ebay for around $100. That would pay for a Weathertech rear cargo mat that we would rather have.

Also the url on the voucher coupon doesn't work, http://www.mopar.com/wirelesscharging. Although I think I found the new site at Redeem Voucher - shopsurfaceenergy.com Surface Energy Charging Cases and Accessories
Well if you are going to try and sell the pad, you should see if you can use the voucher to get the Open Dots to Qi conversion device. That would make your wireless charging pad more useful to people today. By the way, the Open Dots companies are focusing on simultaneous charging of multiple devices such as power tools, even if they have different voltage requirements. This would be valuable to construction companies for example.

2017 Pacifica Limited
Red, Fully Loaded 8-Passenger
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I was going to include the voucher and recommend the Qi conversion device.

It does look like a better tech than Qi. Just wish there was more support for open dots. Maybe it will win out in the end.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

I found the install instruction for it at https://dev.smartdealer.com/mopar_ac...t/K6862217.PDF. Looks like the wiring harness that is under the console also comes with it. I guess if I plan to sale it I need to get that also which means removing the console. So, simple to remove, but not as simple to get the full kit out.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:23 PM

Garage
Seems the "Open Dot" technology is dead on arrival !...beats me why Chrysler went that way ?..Anyway, I did find this alternate kit that uses IQ and its actually much cheaper than the Mopar kit.

https://sportcompactwarehouse.com/br...1311793f66605&

2017 Bright white Limited
Black/alloy, advanced safety pack,
U-connect theater. Tri-pane roof. Verde Invictus 22"
Quite a few custom modifications and lots more to come .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page