High beam LEDs- what do you think? - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
High beam LEDs- what do you think?

The bulb used for the test
I took pictures at different exposures to better see the brightness and uniformity. The light is bright, but the shape of the beam is questionable. I can't decide if these bulbs will be an improvement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3872.jpg (139.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3883.jpg (44.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3880.jpg (32.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3865.jpg (132.2 KB, 39 views)
Frig likes this.

*** 2019 Hybrid Limited ***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 09:00 AM

So in your pictures the new LED light is reflecting off your garage door and is the one on the left, I'm guessing you replaced the drivers side bulb?

Wow that sure seems bright! This is on your new Limited which has the HID headlights?

Maybe a simple real world test would be to take it to some rural back road or a dark filed and cover one light and see how far or much you can see and then cover the other one to compare.

2019 Limited, Luxury White, HK Sound, Tow Group, Advanced Safety Tec Group
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
You're right, only the driver's side bulb was replaced. I have a Hybrid, so no HIDs. Finding anything completely dark in a suburbia is surprisingly difficult, and it is hard to evaluate the beam pattern and uniformity by looking at a road. Glare is not a problem with high beams, but LEDs are notorious for dark spots. I found that the bulbs can be adjusted by loosening the set screw and rotating the LED board, so it could be possible to achieve a better result.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 03:15 PM

I put modded 9011 bulbs in my high beams to make sure I didn't end up with dark spots in the high beam reflector housings. I'm happy with their performance.

The "mod" is just a slight trim of one of the plastic tabs with a pair of side cutters.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid - In Canada Eh!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPLMVR View Post
I put modded 9011 bulbs in my high beams to make sure I didn't end up with dark spots in the high beam reflector housings. I'm happy with their performance.

The "mod" is just a slight trim of one of the plastic tabs with a pair of side cutters.
Been there. https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum...igh-beams.html The difference is a borderline placebo.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stop-eject View Post
You're right, only the driver's side bulb was replaced. I have a Hybrid, so no HIDs. Finding anything completely dark in a suburbia is surprisingly difficult, and it is hard to evaluate the beam pattern and uniformity by looking at a road. Glare is not a problem with high beams, but LEDs are notorious for dark spots. I found that the bulbs can be adjusted by loosening the set screw and rotating the LED board, so it could be possible to achieve a better result.
Ooops sorry I missed that the Hybrid Limited doesn't come with HIDs. Is that because they use more power and they don't want to take away from the battery range? This is the first car I have owned with HIDs and I can believe how bright they are. I'm glad we have the auto dimming as well because without it I'd be getting flashed all the time.

Was the bulb difficult to swap out?

Sounds like a good excuse for a road trip to find a nice dark dead end road that you can do the swap on.

2019 Limited, Luxury White, HK Sound, Tow Group, Advanced Safety Tec Group
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stop-eject View Post
Been there. https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum...igh-beams.html The difference is a borderline placebo.
All I can say is that it is an improvement, even if not drastic. And it's the safest upgrade in the reflector housing.

Up close on a garage wall is going to be tough to see a difference. Especially with ambient light bouncing around the area. I noted an improvement in driving on unlit 2 lane back-roads at night. It was worth the $20 for the 2 bulbs to me.

LED may claim to be brighter, and may seem brighter with the cooler color temperature, but in that reflector housing I'm still skeptical they can actually perform as well as a halogen.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid - In Canada Eh!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPLMVR View Post
LED may claim to be brighter, and may seem brighter with the cooler color temperature, but in that reflector housing I'm still skeptical they can actually perform as well as a halogen.
I agree, these LEDs look bright, but their beam is not as wide or even as the factory halogens.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thclimer View Post
Was the bulb difficult to swap out?
High beams are easy, provided that the bulbs are short enough to fit inside the headlight housing. The low beams need more work.
thclimer likes this.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:57 AM

Are you returning these bulbs and continuing on the hunt then? I’ve been looking for a decent set of bulbs to upgrade the factory halogens. It doesn’t make too much of a difference living the suburban life, but the other week in the north woods of WI I really noticed how bad they actually are.

2019 PacHy Limited
Ocean Blue "S"
Safety pack
Pany Roof

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in