Radio Question - On after start? - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Radio Question - On after start?

Hi All,

Is there an actual OFF button for the radio? I hit the mute button and then turn off the van but when I restart the van the radio comes back on.
I was listening to Howard Stern before I picked up the kids. Loaded them and turn the van back on and the the radio started with some f-bombs and others and I couldn't turn it off fast enough!

Is there a true OFF for it?

Thanks, John

P.S. My Audi functions similarly - no off button.

2019 Pacifica Limited - Luxury White. Alloy/Black

Previous:
2005, 2008, 2015 Odyssey,
2017 Pacifica Limited - Tusk/Mocha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Nope, no way to turn it off. If you turn the volume all the way down instead of muting, it will stay that way. I try to remember to change the station or input before turning off the car when I'm listening to Stern and I know the kids will be in the car later. If I forget, I make sure to hit mute real quick as soon as I start the car. It's kinda annoying, but my Cherokee's the same way so I'm used to it.
towerdave likes this.

2017 Pacifica Limited - Molten Silver/Mocha
8 Pax - Vac - SafetyTec - UConnect Theater & Sound
20" Wheels - Tow - KeySense - Splash Guards

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV GT
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks very much for the reply. I just have to get used to this like I do with my Audi. Though a real on/off switch certainly would be nice.
Thanks, John

Previous:

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 12:57 AM

Reaching over to hit a power button versus turning down the volume seems like the same amount of effort. Ha, when I started driving the on/off switch actually was at the lower end of the volume...lower, lower, then "click".

When alone in the car I tend to run with volume higher so if I get in later with kids (or any human being with normal hearing) I'm going to have to reach over and adjust the volume anyway.

BTW what XM channel is Stern on?

Brett
2017 Gas Pacifica Limited, Vel Red/Black/Alloy
Tow, Vac, Adv SafetyTec, UConnect Theater, 18" Wheels

Last edited by BrettP; 02-03-2017 at 01:02 AM.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettP View Post
Reaching over to hit a power button versus turning down the volume seems like the same amount of effort. Ha, when I started driving the on/off switch actually was at the lower end of the volume...lower, lower, then "click".

When alone in the car I tend to run with volume higher so if I get in later with kids (or any human being with normal hearing) I'm going to have to reach over and adjust the volume anyway.

Stern is on 100 and 101.
BrettP likes this.

Previous:
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 05:39 AM

Garage
Quote:

BrettP... It is now over a year since this post and I continue to hear Owners complain about not being able to turn the Radio off. The issue isn't how comparable reaching to turn the Volume Down vs. Turning the Power OFF. The real issue is that the 2017 Pacifica Always defaults back to Radio On, even if you had the Radio Muted as you powered down the vehicle. In a vehicle with an on/off control if it was powered off on shut down it does not turn back on when you start the vehicle each time. This remains very annoying, because as you say the volume level is typically to high when you are in your garage or stopped in a parking lot or driveway as you Start the vehicle vs. shutting down as you return from the typical road trip. Many Owners certainly wish that a software update could change the default to Radio Off.

2017 Pacifica Limited
Red, Fully Loaded 8-Passenger
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 09:03 AM

@wisejd - After an additional year of using mine I tend to agree with you. As you point out, a large group of people still bring this issue up and that alone should be enough to get the Uconnect folks to pay attention and provide a slightly better user experience of audio amplifier off even if it is just a better simulation of 'offness' by an always running embedded controller.

BTW-Dayton, OH...you must be getting pretty sick of snow by now. All my northern Cincinnati relatives are still sending me snow pictures...in April!

Brett
2017 Gas Pacifica Limited, Vel Red/Black/Alloy
Tow, Vac, Adv SafetyTec, UConnect Theater, 18" Wheels
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 10:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
@wisejd - After an additional year of using mine I tend to agree with you. As you point out, a large group of people still bring this issue up and that alone should be enough to get the Uconnect folks to pay attention and provide a slightly better user experience of audio amplifier off even if it is just a better simulation of 'offness' by an always running embedded controller.

BTW-Dayton, OH...you must be getting pretty sick of snow by now. All my northern Cincinnati relatives are still sending me snow pictures...in April!
So true...one day it's 62 degrees and the next day its 27 degrees and snowing. We are ready for Spring!

2017 Pacifica Limited
Red, Fully Loaded 8-Passenger
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 11:33 AM

Same in NYC -- I call it "Indian Winter." Had the most snow in April last Monday since 1982 (and I remember that one because my wife was in the maternity ward.)

Anyway, back to topic -- @ChryslerCares -- can you hit up the U-Connect folks with this one? It might even be curable with a software update to all models -- it could be an option for those who do want it to reset on start.
BrettP likes this.

2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus
Build date Oct 2016 - Delivered 11/30/16

Last edited by jerry17; 04-08-2018 at 11:34 AM. Reason: added option
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 10:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisejd View Post
BrettP... It is now over a year since this post and I continue to hear Owners complain about not being able to turn the Radio off. The issue isn't how comparable reaching to turn the Volume Down vs. Turning the Power OFF. The real issue is that the 2017 Pacifica Always defaults back to Radio On, even if you had the Radio Muted as you powered down the vehicle. In a vehicle with an on/off control if it was powered off on shut down it does not turn back on when you start the vehicle each time. This remains very annoying, because as you say the volume level is typically to high when you are in your garage or stopped in a parking lot or driveway as you Start the vehicle vs. shutting down as you return from the typical road trip. Many Owners certainly wish that a software update could change the default to Radio Off.
I read this thread this morning and when I was in the van this afternoon, I tried the radio knob assuming that it would be like the climate control: push it to turn it on or off. Nope, just mutes it. The muting feature is nice, but does seem like you should be able to turn it OFF.

2017 Pacifica
Touring L
Billet Silver
Package 27L
mfr. 5-17

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page