Seriously Thinking about cancelling my PHEV order - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Seriously Thinking about cancelling my PHEV order

So, I guess I needed to read a bit more here to understand the weirdness of what Chrysler has done option-wise with this Pacifica PHEV van. I kind of assumed that the Platinum PHEV would be fully loaded with everything in the lesser models + the PHEV drive train. I put a deposit down last week, but now I see that there are some things missing that are important enough that I'm seriously thinking about cancelling (they'll let you do that I'm assuming).

1. No memory seats/mirrors. My wife is really short and I'm not. We use the memory seats/mirrors in our Sienna every day. This really sucks.

2. No Homelink garage opener? Really? I guess we can go back to the old clip on and survive but come on!

3. Halogen headlights? My 2006 Sienna has HID and they are great. Stupid on a $46k vehicle in 2017 not to have LED or even HID.

4. No auto dimming mirrors? My 2001 Chevy pickup truck has that - what the heck?

Ok, I know that the PHEV does come with a lot of technology (360 camera, lane assist, adaptive cruise, rain sensitive wipers, automatic high beam control, deluxe parking assist) you can't get in any of the other models plus the gas savings of the PHEV.

But Crap! I want all of that cool stuff though that comes with the PHEV and I'd gladly trade the rear seat theater package for the above 4 missing items if Chrysler would let me.

Is there anything else I'm not seeing in comparing the models that I'm really gonna miss and should be on a $46k car in the year 2017?

Maybe I can live with the 4 missing things that I've found so far - but I'm gonna cuss Chrysler every time I look for that **** seat memory button if I continue down the path to get the PHEV.
ljnelson109 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 06:20 AM

You may want to spend some time reading in other threads. There is a thread specific to this discussion you can view here. I am really interested in getting a Pacifica Hybrid, but also struggle with your frustration. I am not helping your cause. Unfortunately, none of the items you listed as "technology you can't get in any other models" is actually unique to the hybrid. All of that can be had in the gas model and a lot of that can be had in other manufacturers' vans. The list of missing items also includes power fold 3rd row seats, vacuum, stow and go, super console, the list goes on.

The argument is the price point. While I don't necessarily agree with the features that they chose to include vs. exclude, they were definitely trying to hit a price point that would make the hybrid decision more palatable. Good luck with your decision.
praeluceo and Tiz like this.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 08:48 AM

I'm confused by your frustrations here. If the PHEV model doesn't have the features you want then perhaps it's not the vehicle for you. Before putting a deposit down and committing to a $46k vehicle, you should've done the legwork and made sure that it has the features you're looking for in a vehicle and that it will meet your needs. Complaining about it after the fact and (from the tone of your message) getting angry about it does nothing and makes you look like an uninformed shopper. I get the desire of some to have a PHEV van and that, for now, the Pacifica is the only game in town. But you shouldn't blame Chrysler for what they're offering because it doesn't seem to tick all of the boxes on your wish list. Based on how successful this vehicle is the other brands are sure to follow with their own versions in the future and perhaps those will better meet your wants and needs.
newmember, csnyder, Tiz and 1 others like this.

2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 09:08 AM

If you can hang on, I'll bet the next model year will have a new hybrid trim level with many of the smaller missing features back in plus CarPlay, adjustable rear door, etc.. We are planning to trade our Pacifasaurus in at end of the 36000 warranty and sure hope they have a more "Limited-like" trim available by then.
DigitalBlacksmith likes this.

Brett
2017 Gas Pacifica Limited, Vel Red/Black/Alloy
Tow, Vac, Adv SafetyTec, UConnect Theater, 18" Wheels
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 09:47 AM
Tiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettP View Post
If you can hang on, I'll bet the next model year will have a new hybrid trim level with many of the smaller missing features back in plus CarPlay, adjustable rear door, etc.. We are planning to trade our Pacifasaurus in at end of the 36000 warranty and sure hope they have a more "Limited-like" trim available by then.
Good advice. Later models will probably be a bit more customizable with more extra cost options. The Platinum launch model gives a lot of bang for the buck. Chrysler was defiantly aiming for a very palatable price point for the launch. When you can get that much tech and luxury in a vehicle for around $36,000. after rebates and credits, it hard to beat. I can adapt to the missing bells & whistles, some people can't. You can buy a Limited and load it up with the stuff you like at about $50,000. Your choice.
invaderc1 likes this.

Last edited by Tiz; 03-23-2017 at 09:49 AM.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 09:49 AM
Tiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrmj View Post
So, I guess I needed to read a bit more here to understand the weirdness of what Chrysler has done option-wise with this Pacifica PHEV van. I kind of assumed that the Platinum PHEV would be fully loaded with everything in the lesser models + the PHEV drive train. I put a deposit down last week, but now I see that there are some things missing that are important enough that I'm seriously thinking about cancelling (they'll let you do that I'm assuming).

1. No memory seats/mirrors. My wife is really short and I'm not. We use the memory seats/mirrors in our Sienna every day. This really sucks.

2. No Homelink garage opener? Really? I guess we can go back to the old clip on and survive but come on!

3. Halogen headlights? My 2006 Sienna has HID and they are great. Stupid on a $46k vehicle in 2017 not to have LED or even HID.

4. No auto dimming mirrors? My 2001 Chevy pickup truck has that - what the heck?

Ok, I know that the PHEV does come with a lot of technology (360 camera, lane assist, adaptive cruise, rain sensitive wipers, automatic high beam control, deluxe parking assist) you can't get in any of the other models plus the gas savings of the PHEV.

But Crap! I want all of that cool stuff though that comes with the PHEV and I'd gladly trade the rear seat theater package for the above 4 missing items if Chrysler would let me.

Is there anything else I'm not seeing in comparing the models that I'm really gonna miss and should be on a $46k car in the year 2017?

Maybe I can live with the 4 missing things that I've found so far - but I'm gonna cuss Chrysler every time I look for that **** seat memory button if I continue down the path to get the PHEV.
Later models will probably be a bit more customizable with more extra cost options. The Platinum launch model gives a lot of bang for the buck. Chrysler was defiantly aiming for a very palatable price point for the launch. When you can get that much tech and luxury in a vehicle for around $36,000. after rebates and credits, it's hard to beat. I can adapt to the missing bells & whistles, some people can't. You can buy a Limited and load it up with the stuff you like at about $50,000. Your choice.
ljnelson109 likes this.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 12:30 PM

I'm with you. But we need a new van now more than later. My wife is already so ticked about the seat color. Who puts a white-ish seat in a minivan?
ljnelson109 likes this.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 03:32 PM

waiting for 2018+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrmj View Post

1 is precisely why I am waiting on the 2018 model. I can do without most missing features or aftermarket some of them, but I will not do without memory seats.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasVolt View Post
1 is precisely why I am waiting on the 2018 model. I can do without most missing features or aftermarket some of them, but I will not do without memory seats.
Ahhh first world problems. I for one hate electric seats of any kind.

Cancelled my order a week or two back and I feel pretty good about it. Too much to spend on a beta product with this many delays. I will just drive my paid off and recently repaired van for a year or two and actually negotiate a price for a vehicle that fits my desires.
BrettP likes this.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 04:27 PM

I think that it's important that you evaluate the reasons why you were purchasing a PHEV vs. a conventional gasoline van. You are going to get a wide variety of answers to your concerns, varying between sympathy and outright scorn. Those answers will be colored by the reasons those replying chose this vehicle.

My reasons: I wanted a larger-capacity vehicle (6-7 passengers, more cargo space). But I'm unwilling to purchase a gas guzzler. I am conscious of the environment, global warming exists and is a significant threat, and I wanted to lower my carbon imprint. I have solar panels on my home, which will provide at least some of the energy to charge my vehicle. The EV range on this one is perfect for me, allowing me to basically only use gasoline on longer trips. But I wanted the range-extended hybrid vs. the pure EV for the reason that I'd like to be able to take this car on longer trips.

The van could have no features and I would still buy it. I wish it was AWD (I live in Massachusetts). But there are no dealbreakers on this one. And a secondary but still important concern for me is that I want to buy in early, to help prove to car manufacturers that there is a market for these larger hybrids and plug-in hybrids, since up until now most have been tiny tiny little things that just won't work for me.

If you don't feel this way, if the ability to plug this vehicle in and get 33 or so miles of electric range isn't compelling enough, then I'm a little unsure about why you would choose this one in the first place.

Regarding price: this isn't a $46,000 minivan. It is a $38,500 minivan after tax credits ($36,000 in MA due to local incentives). It should be compared to other $38,500 vehicles, not other $46,000 vehicles. In addition, this vehicle will save me a net savings of $120 per month compared to what I'm spending now in gasoline. Based upon the interest rate on my new vehicle loan, this savings means that the net that I'm spending on this vehicle is $29,000 (subtracting gasoline savings from the car purchase price, over 5 years. If I keep it longer, the effective price of the vehicle is even lower).

Personally, I have never had memory seats. It takes exactly 10 seconds for me to adjust my seat and mirrors when my husband and I switch drivers. Saving 10 seconds in my day, even if it was two or three times per day, would never be a compelling reason for me personally to skip purchasing an otherwise excellent vehicle that will allow me to do my part in lowering vehicle emissions. That is my personal opinion and my personal values. You need to decide where your values are - it's your personal decision.
bogey928, csnyder, dlieu and 2 others like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page