Fan/Engine noise while off - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Fan/Engine noise while off

Hello All! I tried searching on here, but didn't find a similar thread, but I'm hoping I'm just being paranoid... I've got my van (which I love) and recently got the L2 charger installed. I have received a recall notice, but no notice of the part arriving, so I'm just keeping it and driving it until something happens/the part comes in.

Last week, and now today, I've gotten home, turned everything off and it goes silent. I plug in, and then a half hour later, I can hear a fan running - loud enough that it had me thinking the car had turned on... I double checked the dashboard and the ignition is still saying off, but the fan is running.

Does anyone know why that would happen? My only guess so far is that the L2 charges so much faster that it gets hot while charging and the fan turns on to keep it cool? Since it's only a guess, I figured I would turn here to the experts! Any information appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 06:14 PM

It turns on also for level 1, but at a lower speed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tsnor likes this.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 06:18 PM

My EV car does that - I forgot what exactly it is, but its normal.

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 06:34 PM

I think the battery uses the cooling system to cool. So by running the fans it can use the radiator to cool the batteries. On one of the reviews for a juicebox pro that his volt would do that when he charged at max amps so her turned it down a little and it wouldn't kick them on anymore. Maybe the same thing? Keeping the batteries cooked off.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Phew! Thanks everyone! I was pretty sure that was it, but since I'm still awaiting the recall fix, everything has me a bit worried, because I don't want to be without it
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 10:44 PM

Garage
Yes, it's just to keep the battery cool. Nothing to worry about.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniewrappe View Post
Hello All! I tried searching on here, but didn't find a similar thread, but I'm hoping I'm just being paranoid... I've got my van (which I love) and recently got the L2 charger installed. I have received a recall notice, but no notice of the part arriving, so I'm just keeping it and driving it until something happens/the part comes in.

Last week, and now today, I've gotten home, turned everything off and it goes silent. I plug in, and then a half hour later, I can hear a fan running - loud enough that it had me thinking the car had turned on... I double checked the dashboard and the ignition is still saying off, but the fan is running.

Does anyone know why that would happen? My only guess so far is that the L2 charges so much faster that it gets hot while charging and the fan turns on to keep it cool? Since it's only a guess, I figured I would turn here to the experts! Any information appreciated
The 2018 owners manuals just went up. I noticed while browsing the Quick Reference Guide that is says this:
This vehicle is equipped with an electric cooling fan
mounted behind the radiator that starts automatically,
and may start at any time. Your vehicle may determine
the fan needs to start and to run if engine coolant is too
hot, if the ambient air temperature is too high, or if the
vehicle is charging and the hood is open. Even after
the vehicle is turned off, the fan may start without
warning and run for several minutes. Be aware of this if
you are working in the engine compartment. Always
keep fingers and tools away from the fan blades.
anniewrappe and mark like this.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 05:07 AM

yes my car (non-hybrid) does that as well the fan is automatic, if I have run it hard and the day is exceptionally hot the fan will run as we walk away from it. it is just self preservation feature to prevent warping of heads, melting of plastics, fires when there is not air circulation to drive excess heat away from the engine bay. So I would imagine the same heat/damage prevention application happens in these Hybrids as the batteries get seriously hot has they charge with so much juice poring into them, and lithium isn't the most stable substance at high temps and the batteries will prematurely fail with high heat hanging around, and the batteries don't charge as well when they get superhot.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 05:47 PM

Hi, new to forum and have not thoroughly researched this BUT ...

Just got home from a long trip on the coldest day of the season so far.

ICE hot and battery at 0% for most of trip.

After plugging in, a whirring fan noise is noticeable. It is NOT the same as the fan that kicks in when the hood is opened. Never noticed this before. Remains on when vehicle is turned on/off. Turns OFF when L2 charger is unplugged. Turns back ON when L2 charger is plugged in again. I get that the battery may need cooling when charging but why today and never any other day when it has been much warmer???
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 07:34 PM

It may not be cooling - it may be warming.

2018 Bright White Pacifica Hybrid Limited
Ordered: 15 SEP 2017
VIN: 19 SEP 2017
D1: 19 SEP 2017
Build sheet: 25 SEP 2017
JS: 28 SEP 2017
SL: 28 OCT 2017
KZ: 29 OCT 2017
Sticker: 30 OCT 2017
Dealer: 21 NOV 2017
Possession: 28 NOV 2017

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in