2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

Does Mopar wireless charg support new iPhones?

8K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  wisejd 
#1 ·
The Mopar wireless charger option on the Pacifica Hybrid costs $350 and supports the Qi wireless charging standard. Apple today announced that their wireless charging feature on the new iPhones is based on the Qi standard. I read somewhere that Apple only supports Qi chargers that have been approved by them. Does the Mopar wireless charger support the new iPhones?

#4 ·
That FAQ dates to 2016 so I would view it with caution.

The point of the Qi 'standard' is to promote compatibility across vendors so it would seem likely that supporting manufacturers will adhere to it. Needless to say, first-hand reports carry more weight than press releases so watch for those before commiting any money to either the charger option or a supposedly supported phone.

Bleeding edges and all that...

#5 ·
The charging mat does. It utilize the Qi but rather a different wireless charging standard completely called "Open Dots" - which NO phones currently manufactured are equipped with today. Your choices are to either use the required case OR if you happen to have a Qi enabled phone like the just announced iPhone 8 8+ and X they supposedly make a converter pad that sits between the Mopar pad and your phone.

#6 ·
The only negative I've read are things like how precise you have to place your phone for "charging alignment" (I just made that up.) It was another thread that led to some bulletin regarding poor charge situations. The differences in internal antennas between phones may forgive some error. But for best use of the feature try to keep it center. Best charging is while the phone is face down. Less material to transfer though. (I just made that up too.) Try to keep it center is true. :D

#7 ·
We recently purchased our 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited which happened to have the $350 (window sticker price) wireless charging pad option. As others have stated, it uses a wireless technology called "Open Dots" which is conductive and not inductive like Qi technology. Along with the optional feature you receive a Voucher with a stated value of $49 which you are supposed to exchange for a case the fits your phone. In my case there was no case for the iPhone 7 Plus so I had to do some digging to learn how I could gain some value out of this feature. Long story short I learned that a company called FLI CHARGE sells a comparable case for the iPhone 7 Plus. This case costs a little under $70 bucks and can be purchased on Amazon or directly from FLI CHARGE online. The other company which the Voucher is for typically allows you to exchange your Voucher for either a Home Charging Pad or if you would prefer a Qi converter device which sits on top of your in-vehicle Open Dots Pad. Your Qi based pone would then sit on this conversion pad. The question of the new Apple iPhones being compatible is an unknown at this time. I know Apple is hoping to help steer the Qi Standards Body such that some of their own ideas will be adopted within the standard. One thing I have read said Apple wanted to ensure that a lower power pad would be accommodated within the Qi Standard. This gives me a feeling that many existing Qi charging pads will not actually work with the new iPhones, but that is just a guess at this point.

#9 ·
Certainly Qi has been around for quite some time and there are many products beyond cellphones that use Qi wireless charging. I have had a portable camera for quite some time which uses a Qi pad. The Open Dots conductive (rather than inductive which Qi uses) wireless charging appears to have moved focus toward the Tools Market, particularly the charging of Tools for commercial construction companies and tradesmen. Open Dots lends itself well to charging multiple tools with various wattage all charging on the same pad in the back of your vehicle for example. I don't know to what degree the Tool manufacturers have embraced this technology, but I believe some have with major product announcement pending. The Apple announcement in support of the Qi Standard certainly made it clear which technology the cellphone market has embraced. Stay tuned however for wireless power distribution as this may create another perspective on this entire arena.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.