Car seats in the 3rd row - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
JHK

Car seats in the 3rd row

We are looking at getting the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid, but the 3rd row seems like a challenge when it comes to installing car seats. We need to have a harnessed booster seat in the 3rd row and the headrest (when up) prevents the back of the car seat from laying against the seat itself. If the headrest is down, it nestles into the back of the seat and the straps are harder to adjust (still possible, just tighter).

Also, the other spot for a car seat in the 3rd row is in the middle of the other two seats. So there's still an issue with the headrests (except there would be no nestling, the car seat would just hit the headrests and not the full seat) and then the buckles (for the outboard and middle seats) would be right underneath the seat. Can a good car seat installation be achieved in the 3rd row? This is the main concern I have with this van.

Has anyone been successful at installing car seats in the 3rd row?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 10:09 AM

I have a Britax Frontier Click Tight installed on the passenger side in the 3rd row. It's a tall car seat so I have the headrest folded down. It's a nice and tight install, and I don't seem to notice any extra resistance with the straps. I have a Graco Turbobooster on he other side and it works better with the headrest up. I think Chrysler should have made the headrests removable and put three latch positions and tethers in he 3rd row, but what I have installed now is working fine so far.
JHK likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHK View Post
We are looking at getting the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid, but the 3rd row seems like a challenge when it comes to installing car seats. We need to have a harnessed booster seat in the 3rd row and the headrest (when up) prevents the back of the car seat from laying against the seat itself. If the headrest is down, it nestles into the back of the seat and the straps are harder to adjust (still possible, just tighter).

Also, the other spot for a car seat in the 3rd row is in the middle of the other two seats. So there's still an issue with the headrests (except there would be no nestling, the car seat would just hit the headrests and not the full seat) and then the buckles (for the outboard and middle seats) would be right underneath the seat. Can a good car seat installation be achieved in the 3rd row? This is the main concern I have with this van.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHK View Post

I have had issues with the straps in several seats in the past, and have learned when I buy a seat to look for ones where the straps are inset somewhat, so that even with a seat pulled super tight, the straps adjust well. I have 3 inexpensive seats where the straps are a bear to adjust, and 2 more expensive (but not crazy) seats where they are easy even with the headrest down. This problem is more a function of the car seat, than the headrest.
JHK likes this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 01:44 PM

Per the owner's manual, Chrysler approves folding down the non-removable headrests in the outboard 3rd row seats in order to install a car seat in front of them. If you do not feel that you can achieve a secure install with this configuration, I suggest contacting the car seat manufacturer for advise. Keep in mind that a secure install is often over-defined as "no movement" when most manufacturer's say no more than 1 inch of lateral movement.

Carseatblog.com has a nice video on the options for installing car seats in different positions in the Pacifica, and covers some good pro/con points.

2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus w/ Customer Preferred Package 25J - Built 11/2016
Advanced SafetyTec, Tire and Wheel Group, KeySense, 8.4 NAV, Wireless Charging Pad, Hands-Free Sliding Doors and Liftgate, 20-Speaker Harman Kardon Sound Group

2016 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L CTD Crew Cab, 4x4, Short Bed
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 04:39 PM

Reviving an old thread. Curious if three very narrow forward facing car seats (secured with seatbelts) could fit in the third row. I have Diono RXT car seats, and they actually fit three across in my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Trying to see if it's even an option with the 3rd row of the Pacifica. Normally, we'd probably have two kids in the captain's chairs and a third in the back, but if we're hauling older folks too, would be nice to put them in the 2nd row.

Should clarify that I don't have a Pacifica - yet - to try myself.

Last edited by spicedham; 08-14-2018 at 06:09 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 09:53 PM

The Car Seat Lady recommends a maximum of 2 forward-facing car seats in the 3rd row since there are only two tether anchors.

Last edited by Liam; 08-14-2018 at 10:15 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 11:50 AM

We normally have one child in the back on the single fold down seat set of tethers. Had another child in there sitting without a carseat in that middle seat in the 3rd row, and it was very cramped when the carseat was next to them using the tethers. So I ended up using the seat belt instead and keeping the headrest up so I could maximize the room in the back.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited - Billet Silver
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 01:32 PM

We have a similar question. Has anyone put 3 seats across in the 3rd row like a Diono RXT or R100 using belts NOT LATCH? Have the Limited Hybrid 2018 so there was no 8 seat option which would allow 3 car seats across 2nd row.

If not car seats, has anyone fit 3 boosters in the 3rd row?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blhx View Post
We have a similar question. Has anyone put 3 seats across in the 3rd row like a Diono RXT or R100 using belts NOT LATCH? Have the Limited Hybrid 2018 so there was no 8 seat option which would allow 3 car seats across 2nd row.

If not car seats, has anyone fit 3 boosters in the 3rd row?
Yes, that's actually my question. I wouldn't be using latch either. And I'm looking specifically at the PHEV. The Diono's are great seats. Super well-built with steel frames and very slender.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 06:44 PM

Hope it’s ok to bring this discussion back to life...but did anyone figure out if they could do three car seats/boosters in the third row? I’m specifically thinking of using two high back boosters (maybe the Maxi Cosi RodiFix) and one convertible car seat or narrow harness booster...

Obviously you would have to forgo the LATCH connections and just install with seatbelts. But is this all possible? And if you have three back there are your kids ok with it or do they complain about being cramped?

Any luck three across with any brand car seat? The Car Sear Lady post on this is helpful but she only tried a few configurations, most of which relied on one of the seats using an inflatable backless booster which I don’t think would be applicable for us.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page