red low oil press warning light - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By stop-eject
  • 2 Post By Car Dr.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

red low oil press warning light

The low press light does not come on when in ACC or RUN mode like the other red and orange warning lights. I'm thinking the light is inoperative. The dealer said that it only comes on if it "needs to".

The other issue is with the oil pressure reading on the driver info display: If the ICE needs to run and the oil is at outside temp (30 degrees F), the pressure will show initially 80psi and in less than 5 seconds it will drop back to 30 psi. This does not seem intuitive. Oil does not heat up that fast. Again the dealer: "The oil press shown is not the actual press but a virtual reading gathered from many sources."

Would any one like to comment on this my 1st post........tortus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 10:52 PM

Garage
30PSI is normal. The engine has a pressure valve, it keeps the pressure constant.
Longtimemopar likes this.

*** 2019 Hybrid Limited ***
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 01:55 AM

My oil pressure indicator doesn't come on as a "bulb check" during startup either. The in-vehicle guide on the UConnect system says that it is supposed to. However the downloaded PDF owner's manual does not say that. So my guess is that they are skipping the bulb check since it isn't a real bulb that can burn out, just an icon on a digital screen.

2018 Molten Silver Pacifica Hybrid Limited purchased Nov 30, 2017.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 08:05 AM

Oil pressure is kept to 30psi to reduce engine drag and therefore a little boost in mpg.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 02:18 PM

The initial 80 PSI is expected. It gets oil to all moving parts before ICE kicks on, rather than giving you several seconds of unoiled run, like a traditional mechanical pumped engine. I don't know what your advisor is talking about. The oil pressure is read with a sensor next to the filter.

Last edited by mattcoug; 12-02-2018 at 02:28 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 07:06 PM

I am a Chrysler technician and own a 2018 PacHy. Sounds like your advisor is full of it when it comes to "other sensors". The pressure readout should be correct. As far as it being 80 psi when cold or on first start sounds right. The pressure is regulated by a electronic valve in the pump controlled by the engine computer. 30 PSI sounds correct after some run time. The computer also can calculate what weight of oil you are using based on temp and how much pump control is needed to get the correct pressure. Therefore it will turn on the check engine light if you use the wrong weight of oil.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
m0ebius604 and stop-eject like this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Dr. View Post
I am a Chrysler technician and own a 2018 PacHy. Sounds like your advisor is full of it when it comes to "other sensors". The pressure readout should be correct. As far as it being 80 psi when cold or on first start sounds right. The pressure is regulated by a electronic valve in the pump controlled by the engine computer. 30 PSI sounds correct after some run time. The computer also can calculate what weight of oil you are using based on temp and how much pump control is needed to get the correct pressure. Therefore it will turn on the check engine light if you use the wrong weight of oil.
Good to know. Thanks for chiming in. Software controlled regulators can be programmed to respond with a profile that is different than the standard pressure balanced spring and piston. A quick response with programmed overshoot may be just what is needed to deliver oil pressure quickly for bringing the ICE online in short order while minimizing wear.

Also very good and comforting to have a Chrysler tech committed to the PacHy and this forum. I hope to hear more from you in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page