Pacifica Hybrid Experience- Towed after 250 miles... - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 7Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 31
Pacifica Hybrid Experience- Towed after 250 miles...

I figured I write this because it was by far the worse experience I ever had with a service department. I have bought Toyotas all my life and I buy a new car every 2 years because I drive approximately 40k miles a year, so reliability is important for me. I figured I give an American a chance since everything I read seemed to indicate that American cars have improved since the 90's.

I just bought a brand new Pacifica Hybrid 2019 model on November 30, 2018 from Stevens Creek CDJR in San Jose. Sales process was great and it made me feel comfortable buying a car.

Last night on 12/4, four days into owning the car; the car would not start and on the dash it indicated "Service Transmission". I hear a grinding noise when I turn the shift knob and the car wouldn't move. The car had about 250 miles on it and now it would not drive. Keep in mind I have a 1 year old baby to make this experience more frustrating. I contacted the sales guy I bought it from and he gave me roadside assistance from Chrysler. At first I thought, "No big deal, let's get it looked at and then get it fixed".

Tow truck driver comes and says he can't tow it unless it shifts to neutral. So we call Stevens Creek Service Up, and the guy has no idea how to do it. He tries to get me to remove the engine cover and the airbox and then manually get into the cable to shift the transmission. The Service manager keeps telling me to find it in the manual but he couldn't even tell me where it was in the manual. At that point I was removing too many things I didn't want to proceed. He then calls the tow truck driver that Chrysler contracts out incompetent and I should get another towing company. How do I even begin to do that? Call Chrysler again?

I asked the service manager to see if he could get a tech to come out and help me with the manual shifting and they would not do it even though I was about 3-4 miles away.

Tow truck driver said the only way to do it now was to get a truck that would lift the wheels rather than flat bed. I read through the manual and Chrysler recommends flat bed as being the preferred way. I finally get the car towed after they got a different tow truck with dolly after 4 hours.

Then to add more to this, they only have 1 tech who is certified to work on the Hybrid! Now I'm going to be without the car for at least a week.

Any idea what this is? What actions can I take?
hqduong is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 03:52 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hqduong View Post
I figured I write this because it was by far the worse experience I ever had with a service department. I have bought Toyotas all my life and I buy a new car every 2 years because I drive approximately 40k miles a year, so reliability is important for me. I figured I give an American a chance since everything I read seemed to indicate that American cars have improved since the 90's.

I just bought a brand new Pacifica Hybrid 2019 model on November 30, 2018 from Stevens Creek CDJR in San Jose. Sales process was great and it made me feel comfortable buying a car.

Last night on 12/4, four days into owning the car; the car would not start and on the dash it indicated "Service Transmission". I hear a grinding noise when I turn the shift knob and the car wouldn't move. The car had about 250 miles on it and now it would not drive. Keep in mind I have a 1 year old baby to make this experience more frustrating. I contacted the sales guy I bought it from and he gave me roadside assistance from Chrysler. At first I thought, "No big deal, let's get it looked at and then get it fixed".

Tow truck driver comes and says he can't tow it unless it shifts to neutral. So we call Stevens Creek Service Up, and the guy has no idea how to do it. He tries to get me to remove the engine cover and the airbox and then manually get into the cable to shift the transmission. The Service manager keeps telling me to find it in the manual but he couldn't even tell me where it was in the manual. At that point I was removing too many things I didn't want to proceed. He then calls the tow truck driver that Chrysler contracts out incompetent and I should get another towing company. How do I even begin to do that? Call Chrysler again?

I asked the service manager to see if he could get a tech to come out and help me with the manual shifting and they would not do it even though I was about 3-4 miles away.

Tow truck driver said the only way to do it now was to get a truck that would lift the wheels rather than flat bed. I read through the manual and Chrysler recommends flat bed as being the preferred way. I finally get the car towed after they got a different tow truck with dolly after 4 hours.

Then to add more to this, they only have 1 tech who is certified to work on the Hybrid! Now I'm going to be without the car for at least a week.

Any idea what this is? What actions can I take?

I'm so close to pulling the trigger on a Pacifica Hybrid, then I keep seeing posts like this...
Homer Simpson likes this.

Last edited by dude47; 12-05-2018 at 03:55 PM.
dude47 is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 04:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Auburn Hills, MI
Posts: 1,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by hqduong View Post
I figured I write this because it was by far the worse experience I ever had with a service department. I have bought Toyotas all my life and I buy a new car every 2 years because I drive approximately 40k miles a year, so reliability is important for me. I figured I give an American a chance since everything I read seemed to indicate that American cars have improved since the 90's.

I just bought a brand new Pacifica Hybrid 2019 model on November 30, 2018 from Stevens Creek CDJR in San Jose. Sales process was great and it made me feel comfortable buying a car.

Last night on 12/4, four days into owning the car; the car would not start and on the dash it indicated "Service Transmission". I hear a grinding noise when I turn the shift knob and the car wouldn't move. The car had about 250 miles on it and now it would not drive. Keep in mind I have a 1 year old baby to make this experience more frustrating. I contacted the sales guy I bought it from and he gave me roadside assistance from Chrysler. At first I thought, "No big deal, let's get it looked at and then get it fixed".

Tow truck driver comes and says he can't tow it unless it shifts to neutral. So we call Stevens Creek Service Up, and the guy has no idea how to do it. He tries to get me to remove the engine cover and the airbox and then manually get into the cable to shift the transmission. The Service manager keeps telling me to find it in the manual but he couldn't even tell me where it was in the manual. At that point I was removing too many things I didn't want to proceed. He then calls the tow truck driver that Chrysler contracts out incompetent and I should get another towing company. How do I even begin to do that? Call Chrysler again?

I asked the service manager to see if he could get a tech to come out and help me with the manual shifting and they would not do it even though I was about 3-4 miles away.

Tow truck driver said the only way to do it now was to get a truck that would lift the wheels rather than flat bed. I read through the manual and Chrysler recommends flat bed as being the preferred way. I finally get the car towed after they got a different tow truck with dolly after 4 hours.

Then to add more to this, they only have 1 tech who is certified to work on the Hybrid! Now I'm going to be without the car for at least a week.

Any idea what this is? What actions can I take?
Hey hqduong,

We're so sorry to hear about your experience. Please private message us with your VIN so we can look into this further and get a case started for you.

Jennifer
Jeep Social Care Specialist
ChryslerCares is online now  
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 31
The funny part in all of this, the service director that manages that department wears a "Nissan" jacket, guess he may have a hard time endorsing his own product... Lets see how this turns out...
hqduong is online now  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 09:44 PM
Member
 
Homer Simpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 34
yup
Homer Simpson is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 10:56 PM
Senior Member
 
m0ebius604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,101
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hqduong View Post
I figured I write this because it was by far the worse experience I ever had with a service department. I have bought Toyotas all my life and I buy a new car every 2 years because I drive approximately 40k miles a year, so reliability is important for me. I figured I give an American a chance since everything I read seemed to indicate that American cars have improved since the 90's.

I just bought a brand new Pacifica Hybrid 2019 model on November 30, 2018 from Stevens Creek CDJR in San Jose. Sales process was great and it made me feel comfortable buying a car.

Last night on 12/4, four days into owning the car; the car would not start and on the dash it indicated "Service Transmission". I hear a grinding noise when I turn the shift knob and the car wouldn't move. The car had about 250 miles on it and now it would not drive. Keep in mind I have a 1 year old baby to make this experience more frustrating. I contacted the sales guy I bought it from and he gave me roadside assistance from Chrysler. At first I thought, "No big deal, let's get it looked at and then get it fixed".

Tow truck driver comes and says he can't tow it unless it shifts to neutral. So we call Stevens Creek Service Up, and the guy has no idea how to do it. He tries to get me to remove the engine cover and the airbox and then manually get into the cable to shift the transmission. The Service manager keeps telling me to find it in the manual but he couldn't even tell me where it was in the manual. At that point I was removing too many things I didn't want to proceed. He then calls the tow truck driver that Chrysler contracts out incompetent and I should get another towing company. How do I even begin to do that? Call Chrysler again?

I asked the service manager to see if he could get a tech to come out and help me with the manual shifting and they would not do it even though I was about 3-4 miles away.

Tow truck driver said the only way to do it now was to get a truck that would lift the wheels rather than flat bed. I read through the manual and Chrysler recommends flat bed as being the preferred way. I finally get the car towed after they got a different tow truck with dolly after 4 hours.

Then to add more to this, they only have 1 tech who is certified to work on the Hybrid! Now I'm going to be without the car for at least a week.

Any idea what this is? What actions can I take?
First off, I'm sorry about your experience. Its a bummer to start ownership on terms like these.

I'd like to say that this experience could happen with any brand. I work for BMW and right now have an 2019 i3s with 1200km (745mi) that had an identical experience.

Came out and car wouldn't start, wierd noises and called BMW Assist. They sent a flat deck truck but couldn't get it into neutral. Called us but we where unable to help. After a long time they got it on the truck and brought it in. We've had hybrids for years at BMW but there are only 2 of us quailified to work on HV systems.

This could have happened with any brand.

The difference here is that the flat deck operator should have skids to pull the vehicle up onto the deck when the wheels dont turn. Its like putting fast-food trays under your tires so they slide.

Strike 1, tow truck driver.

Secondly, its the tow drivers responsibility to extract a vehicle from whatever scenerio.. be it a ditch, pile up, stuck out a mile into the mud.. Calling the dealer doesn't get you far and is a cop-out by the tow driver. There really isn't anything we can do over the phone these days.. no magic ruby-red slippers 99% of the time.

Most of the time, you'd be talking to non technical staff, or non hybrid trained staff.. there is a reason only trained people work on hybrid vehicles and its because everyone else doesn't know anything about them. This is mostly an issue with early adopting of new technology. Sooner than later all technicians will be hybrid techs.

Strike 2, tow truck driver.

The problem with your vehicle.. Now that's up in the air still.

For my customers BMW i3s. I was on it within 1hr of its arrival and found it completely dead. I had to put dollys under the drive wheels and push it into the shop to diagnose the issue. And the end result was a rat chewed up the powertrain harness.

Strike 3, Mickey Mouse.

The tow companies aren't sponsored by the brand unless your in Europe typically.. they are local trucks that are closest to your location and in this scenerio I would have called Chrysler and tell them to send someone else.

Dealerships are workplaces and insurance doesn't allow us to "work" off site. And I'm sure it's even more serious of a situation in the states. Its unfortunate I know. Even if they did send someone there is little that can be done without repairing the vehicle most times.. very likely a waist of time when the tow driver should just bring it to where it can be repaired. I think even Rolls-Royce stopped road side assistance with exception to regions that don't have repair facilities like the Middle East or what not.. at which point they will fly out technicians with parts to repair your car.

I have a suggestion about the Owners Manual.. download the PDF version and use the search function for things your looking for.

Page 425 of the 2018 Pacifica Hybrid Owners manual, "towing a disabled vehicle"
You'll notice there are exceptions to flat deck trucks if unable to get Neutral in which case dollys is the recommended method. Which should be obvious to an experienced tow truck driver.
snorth, 1tg1, stop-eject and 3 others like this.

-2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
-British Columbia Canada


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by m0ebius604; 12-05-2018 at 11:12 PM.
m0ebius604 is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 01:44 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 2
Exact same issue. I leased the car on Dec2, drove it home. The car was parked on driveway for 2 days. On Dec 5 morning, dead - not even jump start helps. Sometime engine started half way with loud noises and lots of errors being thrown - Service hybrid engine, sterring wheel has no power, uconnect screen is blank etc.. Had to be towed to Steven's creek with just 65 miles and not driven for a single day. Haven't heard back anything yet. They did tell me about your car that arrived earlier in the morning with same issue.

When I called my sales person(Adam Wardak) in Gilroy CJDR, they don't pick my phone or respond to my voicemails. They didn't even talk to me once. I guess they think the customer service ends with sale and them getting $$$. Now customer can go to **** for all they care.

Is Chrylser selling junk? Do I need to find a lawyer?

Last edited by dollysanjay; 12-06-2018 at 01:51 PM.
dollysanjay is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollysanjay View Post
Exact same issue. I leased the car on Dec2, drove it home. The car was parked on driveway for 2 days. On Dec 5 morning, dead - not even jump start helps. Sometime engine started half way with loud noises and lots of errors being thrown - Service hybrid engine, sterring wheel has no power, uconnect screen is blank etc.. Had to be towed to Steven's creek with just 65 miles and not driven for a single day. Haven't heard back anything yet. They did tell me about your car that arrived earlier in the morning with same issue.

When I called my sales person(Adam Wardak) in Gilroy CJDR, they don't pick my phone or respond to my voicemails. They didn't even talk to me once. I guess they think the customer service ends with sale and them getting $$$. Now customer can go to **** for all they care.

Is Chrylser selling junk? Do I need to find a lawyer?
Dealers don’t care. Remember they’re getting paid by the manufacturer for the warranty work. So the more warranty work the more money for them.

Still waiting for Chrysler to respond back because the tech had no idea when they looked at it so they reached out to them for guidance.
hqduong is online now  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 31
First of all, if Chrysler contracts out roadside it is Chrysler's responsibility, I don't care if it's the tow truck company or the dealership. Someone needed to own up to it and I was being passed between both parties. Second, after investigating, I found out Chrysler installed a string you can pull to manually move the transmission to the Neutral position that neither the Tech's knew about nor the tow truck driver. I expect Chrysler tech's to know their product rather than having me remove all sorts of thing in the engine compartment.

Latest update since I have had many PM's asking for updates from me. It appears like a software issue. The computer gets in this state and once they clear the codes, it drives again. They have to reach out to Chrysler and it is anywhere between 48 hours to 72 hours for a response from them. I had to call at least 10 from 2 pm to 5 pm times today to get even an update from this dealership, no one ever picks up the calls and it goes to voicemail. I guess I was spoiled with Toyota since they always kept me in the loop. Van is still in the shop and can drive apparently but they won't let me pick it up. I really just want out of this dealership.
hqduong is online now  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 11:18 PM
Senior Member
 
m0ebius604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,101
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hqduong View Post
First of all, if Chrysler contracts out roadside it is Chrysler's responsibility, I don't care if it's the tow truck company or the dealership.
I agree with you completely.. when reason fails, responsibility prevails.

Know that dealers do care.. but if you go in as a raving madman your going to get shutdown - There are lots of members here that have escalated repair issues with corporate in a polite and professional manner and gotten the gold platter treatment.

Keep in min that the dealerships are a franchises and roadside staff are apart of Corporate Chrysler. That's why Chrysler Cares does the middleman job for you between corporate and franchise to help smooth things out.

-2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
-British Columbia Canada


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by m0ebius604; 12-07-2018 at 12:31 AM.
m0ebius604 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hybrid drives better than gas Pacifica H2odavid 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica PHEV Hybrid General Discussion 17 02-27-2019 09:39 PM
New left over 2017 Pacifica Hybrid Price Bigpete 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica PHEV Hybrid General Discussion 15 12-06-2018 08:09 PM
Pacifica Hybrid 2017 mocnarf New Member Introductions 0 10-17-2017 02:17 PM
Why Chrysler made the Pacifica Hybrid joet67 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica PHEV Hybrid General Discussion 1 01-29-2016 09:55 AM
Official Press Release joet67 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan General Discussion 0 01-28-2016 02:56 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome