Brand new 2018 PacHy left me stranded today - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Brand new 2018 PacHy left me stranded today

I have been a Honda owner with multiple vehicles for many years primarily because of how reliable those vehicles tend to be in general. I recently (10/18) traded in my 2003 Honda Odyssey for a brand new 2018 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid limited because of the potential fuel savings associated with the Hybrid option and I wanted to support Chrysler's initiative in providing the only plug-in hybrid option in the van segment. The bottom line is that with a family of 5, a van is the best option for us but I've never loved the low fuel efficiency of the Odyssey or the whole van segment when compared to other non SUV vehicles. The PacHy in theory is the best of both worlds. That being said, in the 15 years that I owned the Odyssey, It was never, ever towed for any reason and it never left me stranded. The only serious issue we ever had with the Odyssey was that we had to have the transmission replaced at 135K miles. Even in that situation it did not leave us stranded because it was a gradual failure and we had time to schedule a repair. Well today after only having the PacHy for less than two months and with only 2052 miles, we had our first frustration with this vehicle. I should tell you that everyone in our family loves the PacHy. We love the interior, the gorgeous sunroof, the uConnect with CarPlay, and the heated front seats and steering wheel is to die for in the Chicago weather. Which is why today's situation is so incredibly frustrating because what we need more than anything else is RELIABILITY.....especially in Chicago.

I took my kids to a wrestling meet this morning 25 miles from my house, dropped them off and went to get some coffee and snacks while they warmed up and when I was going to head back to the meet, the PacHy did not turn on. I noticed that the check engine/MIL light was on but when I turned the dial to reverse, the vehicle did not engage. The back-up camera was on but the green light above the "R" was blinking. Tried several times to restart but no luck. Definitely not the battery but the MIL remained on every-time I tried to turn the vehicle on. This is just unacceptable on a brand new vehicle. To add insult to injury, when I called Chrysler's roadside assistance they told me that I had to cover part of the towing cost because my dealer was 26 miles from where I was. Being Sunday and the dealer being closed, I got no help from them. After agreeing to cover the cost, the towing company took the PacHy away and will be delivering it to the dealer tomorrow morning. I'm not looking forward to dealing with this issue based on everything I've read. My wife now doesn't feel confident with this vehicle's reliability which sucks so much because it took so much effort to convince her to go with PacHy over another Odyssey. I'll keep you posted on what the dealer finds and how that process goes. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PacHy.jpg (97.7 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1725.jpg (75.3 KB, 89 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 10:38 PM

Sorry about your experience. Please keep me updated since mine sound similar, I had mine for 254 miles and it did something similar. I hope your dealer is more useful than mine since mine doesn’t even pickup the phone
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 10:56 PM

Sorry to hear abut your troubles. Both of you should send pms to @ChryslerCares so that they can liaise with the dealership in helping you out further.

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 11:45 PM

Same thing with my new 2108 Limited. Didn't even drive for a single day. Brought it home and 2 days later when attempted to actually use it first time ever, this happened. In dealer repairs now for last 5 days and won't get it back for atleast another week - not confident of even that!!

Last edited by dollysanjay; 12-10-2018 at 01:37 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollysanjay View Post
Same thing with my new 2108 Limited. Didn't even drive for a single day. Brought it home and 2 days later when attempted to actually use it first time ever, this happened. Chrylser seems to be dumping untested unreliable vehicles out there. In dealer repairs now for last 5 days and won't get it back for atleast another week - not confident of even that!!
I found out Stevens Creek CDJR in San Jose is the worse in the Bay Area. I had to call 2 days for several hours each day to get an update. I just decided to stop by and ask them. I complained to the sales guys and they said I wasn’t the first customer to complain about service department. The service guys even treat people in other departments like **** too.

As an experiment, I was standing with one of the sales guy in front of the service team and then called the main line and ask for service department. Guess what? Phones ringing and they all sit there!

Their Director of Service, Chris is a piece of work. He says he’s been doing it for 20 years and knows what he’s doing. My experience with those people that do the same thing with 20 years, generally isn’t very good. There is a reason they do that for that long. He’s no help and is not interested in happy customers. Economy is doing well so they are busy and don’t care. Can’t wait till a recession hits and these guys will be begging for a job.
Bond007 likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 12:49 PM

I'm not saying this was the issue with inetace and dollysanjay. But for anyone else coming across this thread quite often a blinking transmission knob with a CEL on was due to turning the car into "RUN" mode without fully stepping on the brake or letting off the brake too early. This can be indicate by the left hand power/charge gauge does not have the green "READY" light on if the car is truly "STARTED" and ready to drive.

Shifting back into P should allow the car to be turned off. Do not try to start/turn off the car while it is in anything but P mode.

Alternately if that doesn't fix it, you can try a force reboot of the PIM/TCM if you are in a hurry and can't wait for a tow, (especially if you get a "vehicle not in park" error)

*** be warn doing this procedure will throw out tons of addition CEL code and that may mask the original problem if this doesn't fix the issue. do at your own risk***

Try these two fuses first, wait at least 1 min before plugging them back in.
F78A Tranmission Control Module (TCM) / E-Shifter / ESM
F21 Park PAWL Motor

If that doesn't fix it, force reboot the PIM with these 2 fuses
F57 PIM Main Power Supply
F62 PIM-Main PWR Supply

again pulling these fuses with the VAN on will throw tons of CEL. for my once I did this, I do have a OBD scanner to clear the code, and they did not come back
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

24 hours later the PacHy is still making its way to the dealer. Thank you all who have commented and made suggestions. I did send a PM to @ChryslerCares and have not heard back yet so we'll see. Regarding Bitslizer's suggestions, I did try several ways to start the vehicle including making sure that I fully stepped on the brake but that was a no go. The tow truck driver also tried different ways with no luck. I did not want to pull any fuses from the vehicle because I figured that would cause some false OBD errors and I did not want that to be an issue when it got back to the dealer. That being said, it still comes down to the point that a two month old vehicle should not be having these issues and I should not be having to play around with trying to do a hard reboot to fix any issues.
Bond007 and dollysanjay like this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 12:39 AM

any update?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

The PacHy has been at the dealer since last Monday (7 days at the dealer, 8 days since incident). They have not been able to identify the problem at this point, or at least they have not communicated any findings to me at this point. They were looking at the possibility of a faulty electrical harness but nothing has been determined. All recall updates had been performed before I took ownership of the vehicle. I know the service department at the dealer has been busy and they did say it would take a bit to fully evaluate and identify the issue. The dealer provided be with a loaner gasoline Pacifica in the mean time. I'll post additional information once I hear more.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inetace View Post
The PacHy has been at the dealer since last Monday (7 days at the dealer, 8 days since incident). They have not been able to identify the problem at this point, or at least they have not communicated any findings to me at this point. They were looking at the possibility of a faulty electrical harness but nothing has been determined. All recall updates had been performed before I took ownership of the vehicle. I know the service department at the dealer has been busy and they did say it would take a bit to fully evaluate and identify the issue. The dealer provided be with a loaner gasoline Pacifica in the mean time. I'll post additional information once I hear more.
It's been a while since I've been on this thread. Sounds like the inverter issue we had. The car was parked, turned on and nothing else will engage because of "safety" reasons, ie, inverter blows so the car protects it system but becoming a giant's paperweight. Ours was in the shop for 1 month before they ran all the tests with corporate, found the reason and fixed it. Initially they thought it was the 12v...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page